mini starter trouble

-

69fastbackfish

Reaction score
new bell housing flywheel and clutch, now the mini starter turns engine about a 1/4 turn and stops. any ideas?

More info will help to sort this out:
- Did it spin the engine well before? I.e., aare these parts replacments or is the whole thing new?
- Is the battery well charged? Does its voltage measure 12.6-12.7 volts at rest?
- Does this happen even when the engine cold or just hot?
- How are the grounds to the engine and to the bell housing?

This could be:
- a simple battery charge problem or poor battery
- poor or corroded battery or starter connections
- poor ground connections to the engine or between the engine and bell housing

Bought a mini off eBay new aftermarket china junk and it would turn over a few times then bind, loosen back up move around tighten again same problem. Was not machined right, total junk. Paid real money for a 98 Dakota mini and it works flawlessly. Tried to save money and it cost me more hmmm how many times did dad tell me buy good once!

Starter worked great before, battery stays on a trickle charger which reads good. Engine will turn with a socket. I will double check ground thanks for the help

I can't turn the engine with a socket, when I was tourqeing the flywheel bolt engine would turn, could my tranny be binding up the engine

My nephew had a mini starter of his Ford Exploder off and bench tested 3 times at 2 part stores. Stick power to it and it would run. It woudn't start the engine though. When he called me I went over, pulled the starter laid in on the grond and zapped it with jumper cables. Yeah it ran. Wouldn't have ran a good fan though. I explained to him that this thing should start with so much torque that it would try to roll over. I should have needed to put a foot on it so it didn't toss the jumper cable clamps. Anyway... after all his grief a good starter was all he needed. As for yours , I'll assume the starter remained engaged to the flywheel and that's why the engine wont turn by hand.

Bought a mini off eBay new aftermarket china junk and it would turn over a few times then bind, loosen back up move around tighten again same problem. Was not machined right, total junk. Paid real money for a 98 Dakota mini and it works flawlessly. Tried to save money and it cost me more hmmm how many times did dad tell me buy good once!

Just put one in my Dart. Ordered it from Rock Auto, $91.00 delivered to my door.

Well it wasn't the starter, I pulled the tranny out now the engine is free and the starter cranks great, crank was drilled for a automatic but has the bearing roller for a manual. Something is binding up

Sometimes the snout on the input shaft is too long. I remember having to take a 1/4" or so off of one and add the taper back in. Sometimes the cranks aren't drilled deep enough. Straightedge on the bellhousing, measure the depth and then do the same with the trans back to the case.

Took that 1/4 inch of the bearing retainer and it did the job, now on to the next bug. Thanks for everyone's help and happy moparing

-
Back