Mini Starter .....Why?

-

loganscuda

This/These
Reaction score
Ok why does everyone say you need a mini starter for the swap. TTI told me and numerous others I used the original starter that came on my 04 truck 5.7 with no problems with both the 5.7 headers and the 6.1 headers. Is there a difference in factory starters or what. Just curious mine is done but I still see alot of people on here saying they have to get a mini starter.

Heh........a 74 CAME with a mini. "Mini" means any of the "new" permanent magnet starters as opposed to the old 70s / 80's "wound field" starters.

There is however, different manufacturers of "mini" starters.

The newer starter ( mini) are smaller and more efficient than the older ones.
The older ones can cause clearance issues and are not easy to replace with headers because of their size. That's why they are being swap to the newer mini ones.
Hope this answers your question.

Two words - high torque. I bought a Durango starter for my Dart when my old mini starter went out. It fits, has more torque and is easy to find.

I used an old starter I had laying around when I put my combo together. I didn't see the need to.get a mini starter just more money I didn't have to spend. It was a tough fit but I got it to fit with some cheap hooker headers in my duster.

you may have just ended up with the correct one on your motor instead of needing a fancy aftermarket one... I think the one I used on my swap was a 5.7 truck (5spd) from 03-05... A lot cheaper than one of the suggested ones...

JOE

After doing reading I saw that 03-05 Dodge Ram manual trans starter is the best one for the swap. I've yet to find one at a decent price. Automatic ones are like $100 but manual ones are over $150.

Anyone have a place to get them cheaper preferably without a core cost.

Riddler

Torque and weight saving. Seem to be pretty bulletproof as well.

I hope that one works out for you riddler. I bout the 05 ram standard starter from rock auto for mine. It is a denso number 2804256. Looking at the pics of the one you purchased it doesn't look like the solenoid is clocked all the way At the top like the denso is. Since I am running the SRT manifolds that was critical for my application

Here's hoping it fits. I've got lots of room under there with the AlterKtion and the TTI headers. I'll take a pic when I go to install it to show the room I have.

Riddler

Ok why does everyone say you need a mini starter for the swap. TTI told me and numerous others I used the original starter that came on my 04 truck 5.7 with no problems with both the 5.7 headers and the 6.1 headers. Is there a difference in factory starters or what. Just curious mine is done but I still see alot of people on here saying they have to get a mini starter.

I think that by "mini" they typically just mean new like many have said. Pretty much all factory starters are "mini" compared to what was on my 318 when I pulled it out of the car. That's at least how I interpreted it.

-
Back