Mini tub / spring relocation / perches help

-

Jordan2840

Reaction score
I installed the us car tool spring relocation and mini tub kit. The rear end (8-3/4) has the perches' already moved inward and still retains the factory perches'. When I bolted the leaf springs up, they appeared to be in a bind and the shackles were bowed inward. My guess is the previously installed perches aren't in the right spot for my 72 Swinger.

Does anyone have a measurement of how far the perches need to be moved inward from the stock location? Or a measurement of the gap between?

Thanks in advance

Measure the centre to centre on the spring boxes you installed, should be the same.... do the springs sit square before you bolt on the axle housing?

Measure the centre to centre on the spring boxes you installed, should be the same.... do the springs sit square before you bolt on the axle housing?

yes, i bolted the spring in hanger and then at the shackle and everything looked fine. But when I went for the final install with the rear, i bolted the rear to the perches and then leafs to the shackles and everything went to crap when I tightened it all down

I think my only option is to cut the perches loose, mock up and make square, tack in place, bolt everything in, and then lay bead welds on the perches.

I would say you are correct... cut them off and move them.

Were the U-bolts loose when you put it in the hanger and shackles, if not , slack off the u-bolts and see if things shift around..

A good trick to ensure your boxes are in line with each other and the stock location is get a piece of threaded rod and nuts that are the same diameter as the spring perch mounting holes. Line them up with the rod, snug the nuts, check measurements then tack it in. Then recheck your measurements before you burn it in for good.

Like this:
springrelocation03.jpg

Source:
A Body Notes

Last edited:
-
Back