Mini Tubbed Demon

-

Cazbah362

Reaction score
OK, need some guidence. I have a 71 Demon with an A Body 8 3/4. I want to put larger tires underneath an get a nice squat look. I have 10" wheel with 6 3/8 offset and when I measure them they go right to the leafs. What I would like to do is put the MP spring relocation kit (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DCC-4120665AB/) and move them in. The tires I would like to use are the BFG Drag TA's (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BFG-53931/) 325-50-15's. Question is, will I need to mini tub this thing to get them to fit? Is so, what other route/tire could I use to keep from mini tubbing? I know this can't be a new question and someone has done something similar. Also, at this time I do not want to narrow the rear-end.

Please any thoughts

For 325 your definatly going to need to mini tub. I have 10 inch wheels with 325s for my duster and I'm in the process of a mini tub and leaf relocation. If you don't want to mini tub then I'd recommend selling your wheels and getting some 8 inch wides and some smaller tires.

Yes, you'll need to mini tub, moving the springs inboard won't gain you any tire room without widening the wheel wells inward.

Buy your kit from Reilly Motorsports, I think it's both cheaper and better, the boxes are a heavier gauge, and they are pre drilled in four locations for the leaf springs.

http://www.reillymotorsports.com/store/home.php?cat=276

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Thanks folks, kind of what I was thinking as well. OK, since I do not own the expertise, time and tools to do this on my own, what is a fair price for the spring moving (labor only) and mini tubbing. Some quoted $1200 just for the mini tub. Any thoughts.

71 Duster, B-body Dana, SS Springs, 10" wide Welds w/6.5" backspacing, MOPAR 3/4" spring relocation kit, 305 50 15 BFGs, no tubbing and never a rub. However, I believe 325 50 15 would be pushing it.

Attachments

• duster 21.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 699
Considering how many tools you can buy for $1200.00 I'd seriously consider doing it yourself, part of the hobby of hot rodding is learning new skills.

Also, if you are mini tubbing the car you'll definitely want to add subframe connectors. If you install 325mm tires and get them to hook you'll twist that forty-year-old chassis like a pretzel.

In my view, if welding in sub frame connectors, relocation boxes, and cutting the tubs is truly beyond your ability then $1200.00 is a reasonable amount for ALL of the work. A local chassis shop quoted me $4000.00 for a sub frame connectors, spring relocation, mini-tub, a full chrome-moly 12 pt. cage.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I charge right around 1200 for a mini tub job. Not trying to sell you anything, just letting you know that price is not way off. I usually make sort of package deals if there's other work the customer wants done at the same time.

Joe,
After reading Mad Darts post, I am pretty sure I can do the job, just need to find the time now. I think I will be waiting a bit. Agree, part of this hobby is learning new things, so I am in.

Brad
I was looking at that black beast and I like it, but I want to get it to squat more in the rear and put the weight distribution over the rear wheels a bit more. I was looking at the Lynx setup also, seems like a great setup. But again, Mad Dart showed a better way, and may need to follow that path, minus the twin turbos and the small block.

Looking at all the labor, I agree $1200 is reasonable. But found a friend with a plasma cutter, a welder and a bit of patience to teach, so.

Brad, thanks for the pictures - Guess I will be using 235/60/15's for a bit till I do the job. Cool car!

Thank you very much everyone

Andrew,
Very nice work!! Are you settingt this up for road or drag? How long did it take you for the tubs?

I bought my 235/60/15's today - Here is a picture - OK, guess not seems keeps freezing up. Will post them later

Caz,
Im building it for the silver state classic which is a road rally. It has a 3.23 rear gear and a 5 speed auto so it will be a highway car.
I think it took three or four days after work.
Andrew

Thats the road race in Nevada correct. I wanted to do those, (I think there are 2 or 3 Races) and the 341 hill climb. Both are right out my back door. Look forward to seeing you there and if there is anything I can do, please let me know - GOOD LUCK

-
Back