Minivan water pump

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
just did my 2002 3.8, a few tips:
1.loosen 3 13mm bolt pulley with serpentine belt still on, itll hold it steady enough to break the bolts and loose enough to maneuver the bolt position.
2. Keep unmounted pulley on the pump, you wont be able to get it off so don't fight it
3. remove 5 10mm bolts, rear 2 with a box end. just keep moving loose pulley out of way.
4. Youll have to wiggle the pump out between the block and the frame, it doesnt seem possible but it finally came out. assembly is the reverse order, you need to put loose pulley over hub to get pump mounted, then mount pulley, no other way.

Chrysler could have made this a 30 minute job if they gave you just 1/4 inch more clearance between pump and frame. Swearing is optional but recommended.

I just did one on my daughters 01 Stratus with 2.4 4 banger,swearing was mandatory.It is driven by the timing belt..................Jeff

You guys sandwhich me. I have a 2002 3.8L minivan and 1996 2.4L minivan. I did the water pump twice in the 2.4L, not because required, but timing belt pulleys failed. Was about to do the 3.8L water pump until I found the strange tingy noise was actually coming from a broken flexplate (common problem).

I know what pishta means by "no clearance". I have changed the 3.8L power steering pump twice because it started leaking between the two halves. Last time I removed the whole cowl to better get at it. For those who think "Chrysler junk", the instructions said "Toyota pump". The plastic pulley they put on it has proved problematic. Don't know if on Toyota pumps also.

Did my Town and Country once. No fun, but well worth the effort in the cash saving department.

Bill, I had the same mysterious tinging and it was only my convertor bolts being loose, changing flex plate trumps my water pump! Even the 2.4 is worse as its under the cover just like my 2.0. Like I said needed clearance would make it about a painless 1 hour job @ $40 parts

All you gotta do is put a pry bar between the crank bolt and the frame, then push. The water pump falls right out! And 2.0 / 2.4 water pumps can be done in an hr, Especially the sohc motors! Floor Jack and block of wood under the oil pan makes all clearance issues disappear!

All you gotta do is put a pry bar between the crank bolt and the frame, then push. The water pump falls right out! And 2.0 / 2.4 water pumps can be done in an hr, Especially the sohc motors! Floor Jack and block of wood under the oil pan makes all clearance issues disappear!

Yes ↑↑↑↑ You must work on flat rate! Lol

-
Back