Minor rear vibration.......

-

MOPARJ

What can I upgrade now?
Reaction score
Recently switched over to 3.91 gears in my 8 ¼ rear behind my mild 318 and A-833 OD trans and received some vibration at speed, likely due to overspeed. The driveshaft was rebalanced and new u joints were added. It is the stock diameter driveshaft. Most of the severe vibration is gone, except for some minor resonance that shows up above 2300 rpm/64 mph in 4th. The resonance/minor vibration is coming from the rear of the car and intensifies a bit with more speed, but never enough to shake the rear view mirror to oblivion. Pushing the clutch in, the resonance still appears to be there. The shop that dialed in the shaft mentioned that it wasn’t dead perfect on the run-out after balancing, but was very close and as close as they could get it.

I also attempted to rebalance the 4 year old Cooper Cobra 255/60/15 rear tires, but was told that they are aging and they couldn’t get the balance just right. One of the tires was noted to be out of round to a small extent, although there is plenty of tread on both tires.

Does it sound like I am still looking at the driveshaft being off just a bit, or are the tires looking like the culprit? Although the resonance/vibration is minor, I do not want and hope I am not at risk of blowing the driveshaft to pieces due to any issues with it. Thoughts are appreciated.

Recently switched over to 3.91 gears in my 8 ¼ rear behind my mild 318 and A-833 OD trans and received some vibration at speed, likely due to overspeed. The driveshaft was rebalanced and new u joints were added. It is the stock diameter driveshaft. Most of the severe vibration is gone, except for some minor resonance that shows up above 2300 rpm/64 mph in 4th. The resonance/minor vibration is coming from the rear of the car and intensifies a bit with more speed, but never enough to shake the rear view mirror to oblivion. Pushing the clutch in, the resonance still appears to be there. The shop that dialed in the shaft mentioned that it wasn’t dead perfect on the run-out after balancing, but was very close and as close as they could get it.

I also attempted to rebalance the 4 year old Cooper Cobra 255/60/15 rear tires, but was told that they are aging and they couldn’t get the balance just right. One of the tires was noted to be out of round to a small extent, although there is plenty of tread on both tires.

Does it sound like I am still looking at the driveshaft being off just a bit, or are the tires looking like the culprit? Although the resonance/vibration is minor, I do not want and hope I am not at risk of blowing the driveshaft to pieces due to any issues with it. Thoughts are appreciated.
Rotate the tires front to back....free test.

Jeff

Try a different set of rims and tires from a buddy. If the tire is truely out of round u found ur problem. Kim

Yes, may try another set of rear tires.

After the new u joints and re=balancing, I have a hard time believing that the driveshaft is still responsible for the remaining minor resonant vibration at speeds above 65mph. With my 904 and 3.91 gears, there was no rear vibration before the driveshaft rebalancing. From there, I switched to a 3.21 gear with the same trans and no vibration. Next, to the current A-833 OD trans with 3.21 gears and no vibration, and lastly, to 3.91 gears with the current A-833 OD. With that, the vibration issue popped up, which improved drastically with the re-balance and new u joints. I suppose there could be some minor over-speed of the driveshaft, but it doesn’t seem like there should be.

Yes, may try another set of rear tires.

After the new u joints and re=balancing, I have a hard time believing that the driveshaft is still responsible for the remaining minor resonant vibration at speeds above 65mph. With my 904 and 3.91 gears, there was no rear vibration before the driveshaft rebalancing. From there, I switched to a 3.21 gear with the same trans and no vibration. Next, to the current A-833 OD trans with 3.21 gears and no vibration, and lastly, to 3.91 gears with the current A-833 OD. With that, the vibration issue popped up, which improved drastically with the re-balance and new u joints. I suppose there could be some minor over-speed of the driveshaft, but it doesn’t seem like there should be.

Additional information, with my current 2.75” thick steel stock driveshaft, which is about 55 inches long from joint to joint, and turning an engine speed of 2300 rpm at 65mph, the driveshaft speed appears to be in the area of 3400 rpm. I believe the critical speed is 5900-6000 rpm. Am I ok with a 2.75” diameter driveshaft in this case at that speed, with 27” tall tires, a .67 OD gear?

You could always jack the car up & spin the tires to see how bad the out of round is. You can visually see a hop in the tire if it's out of round. It will cause the problem that your having if tires are out of round.

An out of round tire or slightly bent rim that can't be perfectly balanced would be a big tell!!

Treblig

You could always jack the car up & spin the tires to see how bad the out of round is. You can visually see a hop in the tire if it's out of round. It will cause the problem that your having if tires are out of round.

True. Plenty of tread on the tires, but they are hardened after four years and sitting sometimes for 3-4 weeks in one place. At least one is out of round, since it is impossible to get the balance perfect on it.

As for the driveshaft speed, I am figuring that I am just over half of critical speed at 65 mph, which I wouldnt think is a big deal.

So hang on, a sec. you're confusing the issue.Or at least you are confusing me,lol
>At one time you had a 904/3.91 combo and no issue. Now you have a A833od/ and same 3.91s and same driveshaft, and now you do have a vibration, at same road speed as the 904/3.91?
>And you corrected the speedO error with a different gear,right?.
>Further more when you push the clutch in and let the engine return to idle, at the troublesome roadspeed, the vibration persists.And the tires are the same today as they were with the 904/3.91s?Have I got that right?
Ok, then.
The 3.21s and the o/d trans combo may have masked the issue, cuz of the low driveshaft speed with the 3.21s. Had you buzzed the car up to (3.91/3.21x64=) 78 mph, the vibration might have been there, cuz now the overdrive is spinning 3.21s at the same rate at 78mph, as the 3.91s are at 64mph.

I got one test for ya;
>Is the vibration there in direct drive, at the troublesome speed?
If the vibration goes away, the issue is in the o/d system. How can I say that? Cuz the 3.91s didn't have an issue earlier, nor is the issue in the engine., nor the clutch, nor the tranny mainshaft, nor the driveshaft, nor the wheels and tires or axles ; cuz all that stuff was OK when the A-904 was in there,RIGHT? Well that just leaves the O/D , now doesn't it?
But if the issue persists, reset your axle end-play adjusters to near-Zero end play, and make sure they are fully seated.Then roadtest again.
If the ride height was changed, then the issue could be in the U-joint phasing being off, due to the changed pinion angle.
If the ride height was not changed, and nothing else was changed during the swap, and the issue persists, I would replace the rear tranny mount.
If the issue persists I would get after the pinion angle.

Here is a shortcut;
Caution,
any time the rear tires are spinning make sure no one is back there ready to catch a 70mph rock in the face!
>Get the car up on jackstands;all 4 corners. The rears under the axle tubes,and the car leveled out to the same rake as it was on the ground. Buzz it up to the troublesome roadspeed,64 mph. Is the issue still there in both O/D and in direct? This is a verification test.
>If the problem is gone, get some different tires and retest, wheels on the ground this time,as in roadtest.Problem gone means those removed wheels or tires are the source. See below:
>If the issue persists,note the engine rpms in both those gears. Clutch it and brake the wheels to a stop.Put it in neutral,and Buzz the engine up to those noted rpms, with your foot off the clutch pedal. No vibration: bring the engine back to idle.The problem is not in anything from the clutch forward. This is a verification test.
>Again buzz it up, this time to70mph, and pop the tranny into neutral and shut off the engine. As the roadspeed comes down through 64 mph, note the vibration level. If it's still there in neutral, the problem is not in the tranny.So now we have proved it is from the driveshaft to the wheel/tire assemblies, or the tranny-mount is no able to suppress it.
>The wheel/tire assemblies are the most likely, so take them off and secure the drums. Again buzz it up to 64mph. Problem gone?,problem is in those assemblies.
>If problem still there, remove axles, and retest.
>Problem still there; Well it's either the driveshaft or the chunk, or the pinion angle.The driveshaft you already covered. You said 3.21s so I'm assuming you don't have an 8.75, so swapping the chunk is out. So that just leaves the pinion angle, and the tranny mount. Tranny mount would be my first bet.

Now;as to those wheels
Check for tire hop, and also the wheel runouts, and the center register.Tire-hop cannot be corrected for in the balance.Out of round modern tires is usually a tire going bad inside, and it's best to get rid of it. I have driven on very old radials,that were still round, so don't buy the "your tires are too old" line. However, tire hop may be the first sign that the tire is failing inside, and while a radial rarely fails catastrophically, I have experienced rather rapid loss of air.
>Another thing; your wheels aren't unilugs are they?,lol
>Oh and the pinion preload. Make sure the pinion has no side play to it;ZERO. Sometimes over time the pinion nut can work loose.
>And finally,the driveshaft runout has to be held to a very small tolerance. I don't recall what it is, but if all else fails......Your man did say, your shaft had some of that.
>If it makes you feel any better, I ran 4.30s for a couple of summers that had a similar issue; just faint enough to be noticed at 62mph. I never could completely get rid of it, and Boy-O-boy, I tried hard. It was completely gone with the current 3.55s, no sign to well past any speed I have ever had the notion to try, even with the windows rolled up tight!And the only thing I changed was the chunk.
>Ok so I hope I covered it all, and all correctly. Happy hunting!

Last edited:
So hang on, a sec. you're confusing the issue.Or at least you are confusing me,lol
>At one time you had a 904/3.91 combo and no issue. Now you have a A833od/ and same 3.91s and same driveshaft, and now you do have a vibration, at same road speed as the 904/3.91?
>And you corrected the speedO error with a different gear,right?.
>Further more when you push the clutch in and let the engine return to idle, at the troublesome roadspeed, the vibration persists.And the tires are the same today as they were with the 904/3.91s?Have I got that right?
Ok, then.
The 3.21s and the o/d trans combo may have masked the issue, cuz of the low driveshaft speed with the 3.21s. Had you buzzed the car up to (3.91/3.21x64=) 78 mph, the vibration might have been there, cuz now the overdrive is spinning 3.21s at the same rate at 78mph, as the 3.91s are at 64mph.

I got one test for ya;
>Is the vibration there in direct drive, at the troublesome speed?
If the vibration goes away, the issue is in the o/d system. How can I say that? Cuz the 3.91s didn't have an issue earlier, nor is the issue in the engine., nor the clutch, nor the tranny mainshaft, nor the driveshaft, nor the wheels and tires or axles ; cuz all that stuff was OK when the A-904 was in there,RIGHT? Well that just leaves the O/D , now doesn't it?
But if the issue persists, reset your axle end-play adjusters to near-Zero end play, and make sure they are fully seated.Then roadtest again.
If the ride height was changed, then the issue could be in the U-joint phasing being off, due to the changed pinion angle.
If the ride height was not changed, and nothing else was changed during the swap, and the issue persists, I would replace the rear tranny mount.
If the issue persists I would get after the pinion angle.

Here is a shortcut;
Caution, any time the rear tires are spinning make sure no one is back there ready to catch a 70mph rock in the face!
>Get the car up on jackstands;all 4 corners. The rears under the axle tubes,and the car leveled out to the same rake as it was on the ground. Buzz it up to the troublesome roadspeed,64 mph. Is the issue still there in both O/D and in direct? This is a verification test.
>If the problem is gone, get some different tires and retest, wheels on the ground this time,as in roadtest.Problem gone means those removed wheels or tires are the source. See below:
>If the issue persists,note the engine rpms in both those gears. Clutch it and brake the wheels to a stop.Put it in neutral,and Buzz the engine up to those noted rpms, with your foot off the clutch pedal. No vibration: bring the engine back to idle.The problem is not in anything from the clutch forward. This is a verification test.
>Again buzz it up, this time to70mph, and pop the tranny into neutral and shut off the engine. As the roadspeed comes down through 64 mph, note the vibration level. If it's still there in neutral, the problem is not in the tranny.So now we have proved it is from the driveshaft to the wheel/tire assemblies, or the tranny-mount is no able to suppress it.
>The wheel/tire assemblies are the most likely, so take them off and secure the drums. Again buzz it up to 64mph. Problem gone?,problem is in those assemblies.
>If problem still there, remove axles, and retest.
>Problem still there; Well it's either the driveshaft or the chunk, or the pinion angle.The driveshaft you already covered. You said 3.21s so I'm assuming you don't have an 8.75, so swapping the chunk is out. So that just leaves the pinion angle, and the tranny mount. Tranny mount would be my first bet.

Now;as to those wheels
Check for tire hop, and also the wheel runouts, and the center register.Tire-hop cannot be corrected for in the balance.Out of round modern tires is usually a tire going bad inside, and it's best to get rid of it. I have driven on very old radials,that were still round, so don't buy the "your tires are too old" line. However, tire hop may be the first sign that the tire is failing inside, and while a radial rarely fails catastrophically, I have experienced rather rapid loss of air.
>Another thing; your wheels aren't unilugs are they?,lol
>Oh and the pinion preload. Make sure the pinion has no side play to it;ZERO. Sometimes over time the pinion nut can work loose.
>And finally,the driveshaft runout has to be held to a very small tolerance. I don't recall what it is, but if all else fails......Your man did say, your shaft had some of that.
>If it makes you feel any better, I ran 4.30s for a couple of summers that had a similar issue; just faint enough to be noticed at 62mph. I never could completely get rid of it, and Boy-O-boy, I tried hard. It was completely gone with the current 3.55s, no sign to well past any speed I have ever had the notion to try, even with the windows rolled up tight!And the only thing I changed was the chunk.
>Ok so I hope I covered it all, and all correctly. Happy hunting!

Thank you for the information and help! And yes, at one time I had a 904 (not a low first gear trans) and the same 3.91 gears with no issues at same speed that the current A833 OD/3.91 is seeing the minor vibration, which is 65 mph. 65mph with 904/3.91 combo was 3,500 rpm, while it is 2300 rpm now with the A-833 OD/3.91 combo.

The same driveshaft has been used across all combinations listed, 2.750” diameter and about 52-54” long center to center. At the speed of vibration, if push in the clutch or put the trans in neutral and coast, the vibration is still there albeit a little less noticeable. Where I notice it lately is in the “float zone”, when I am up to speed of the vibration and lightly ease off of the gas. At that point, it intensifies slightly but still nothing violent or enough to shake you silly. This vibration is pretty rhythmic as well and pulses up and down.

At the same gear in the direct drive 3rd gear (OD is .67), 3500-3600 rpms are needed to reach the same 65mph as it does in OD. It’s hard to tell if the vibration is there in that scenario, with the engine blaring and some roughness of a not very fresh engine. Certainly isn’t there from up to 3300 rpm when the engine isn’t so loud that you can’t make observations.

The motor mounts were replaced back when the 904/3.91 combination was part of the car about a year ago. I have always noticed some roughness above 2000 rpm when free revving the engine no matter the trans/gear combination after that point, so the new mounts must not be the cushiest.

Took the car in to another tire shop for a “second opinion” on one of the rear tires not being able to be balanced perfect due to an at least slightly out of round condition. This shop confirmed the same information provided previous and mentioned the inside of the tire might be beginning to start to come apart a bit. As precaution, I will be putting new back tires on in the next week, but who knows, maybe that alone will help a bit.

The frequency difference between an out of round tire and a prop shaft turning over 3K is dramatic & usually distinguishable, unless the tire has defined cupping that would
mimic that higher frequency. As said, throw some loaner skins on and roll it.

I had something similar happen after a gear change, try unbolting driveshaft, rotate 180 and bolt back on.

That is correct. I am skeptical that a new set of tires curing the out of round issue will be the cure. Not sure how plausible it is for any vibrations from a bad tire to travel up the driveline (driveshaft mainly), in such a manner that I feel it up under my seat and feet, particularly just as I ease of the gas. That being said, I have been told by two shops that at least the right rear is out of round, so they need replacing anyways.

Before that, I might try unbolting the driveshaft and rotating 180 degrees to see what happens.

In the meantime, I have just kept speed under 65mph as much as possible when I drive it every other day just to be sensible.

Although the tires on the rear needed replacement, they did not fix I guess what you would call the issue, if it should even be considered that.

While driving home from the tire shop yesterday, I noticed a bit of resonance even at lower speeds of 35-40 mph in 3rd, which is about 1900-2000 rpm. Again, mainly feeling it under my seat, or towards front portion of drivetrain, but the sensation may just be traveling up from the rear thru driveline.

When popping the trans in neutral on the highway, the resonance is still there, but a bit less magnified. There is some roughness, as mentioned, when revving in neutral above 2000 rpm thats been present since the new motor mounts went in.

Thought about wheel bearing or axle bearing recently. Going to put the car up and check for wheel wobble, re check the ujoints, ect.

Although the tires on the rear needed replacement, they did not fix I guess what you would call the issue, if it should even be considered that.

While driving home from the tire shop yesterday, I noticed a bit of resonance even at lower speeds of 35-40 mph in 3rd, which is about 1900-2000 rpm. Again, mainly feeling it under my seat, or towards front portion of drivetrain, but the sensation may just be traveling up from the rear thru driveline.

When popping the trans in neutral on the highway, the resonance is still there, but a bit less magnified. There is some roughness, as mentioned, when revving in neutral above 2000 rpm thats been present since the new motor mounts went in.

Thought about wheel bearing or axle bearing recently. Going to put the car up and check for wheel wobble, re check the ujoints, ect.

At least now you've eliminated the rear tires (wheels?) as part of the problem!! Now you can concentrate on other possible culprits???

treblig

I traced that kindof thing to my rear pinion angle.
>My rear springs are pretty soft, And I have fair bit of power. This is a bad combination.I cannot nor do I want to, run a snubber; the rear end is just too low. I run it there to suit my driving style which is stuffing it into corners,sometimes too hot. And the cops don't bother me about altered ride height.
>When I apply the power, the pinion wraps up quite far, so I have to have a fair amount of nose down in compensation, so that when the power is transferring from the driveshaft to the pinion,it is doing so at a good angle. Well all that nose down causes a vibration when running easy. I have gotten used to it.
> A high pinion angle causes the U-joint cups to oscillate forward and backwards during operation.I call it dancing. This dancing cannot be compensated for in the balance.
>To see this, the next time you have the rear tires off the ground, with the jack under the pumpkin, get eyes on a cup that is anchored in the driveshaft, then with the tranny in neutral, rotate a rear tire and watch that cup.When the cup is at the top it is in the rearmost position, and when it is at the bottom, then it is in the frontmost position. I think it can oscillate about a quarter-inch or more, depending on the set-up. Next reposition and jack the body up,to let the rear suspension droop. Now check the extent of the oscillation again. Notice how, with the increased pinion angle, now the oscillation is greater. Any oscillation here could in theory be compensated for by an equal oscillation at the front. Could be,in theory.But it would require an oscillation equal in degree, but opposite in direction, and in the chassis, that is just not doable. So then a certain amount of oscillation is unavoidable. The usual cure in stock vehicles is to set the pinion angle in the middle some where with respect to how the vehicle is intended to be driven.
Along we come and double the engines power and alter the ride-height, and all-chaos breaks loose back there.lol. All we can do is minimize the dance with respect to power transmission, and axle wrap-up, and the rest we have to live with.
>I can't say that this is your problem, but it is worth checking out.

Last edited:
I traced that kindof thing to my rear pinion angle.
>My rear springs are pretty soft, And I have fair bit of power. This is a bad combination.I cannot nor do I want to, run a snubber; the rear end is just too low. I run it there to suit my driving style which is stuffing it into corners,sometimes too hot. And the cops don't bother me about altered ride height.
>When I apply the power, the pinion wraps up quite far, so I have to have a fair amount of nose down in compensation, so that when the power is transferring from the driveshaft to the pinion,it is doing so at a good angle. Well all that nose down causes a vibration when running easy. I have gotten used to it.
> A high pinion angle causes the U-joint cups to oscillate forward and backwards during operation.I call it dancing. This dancing cannot be compensated for in the balance.
>To see this, the next time you have the rear tires off the ground, with the jack under the pumpkin, get eyes on a cup that is anchored in the driveshaft, then with the tranny in neutral, rotate a rear tire and watch that cup.When the cup is at the top it is in the rearmost position, and when it is at the bottom, then it is in the frontmost position. I think it can oscillate about a quarter-inch or more, depending on the set-up. Next reposition and jack the body up,to let the rear suspension droop. Now check the extent of the oscillation again. Notice how, with the increased pinion angle, now the oscillation is greater. Any oscillation here could in theory be compensated for by an equal oscillation at the front. Could be,in theory.But it would require an oscillation equal in degree, but opposite in direction, and in the chassis, that is just not doable. So then a certain amount of oscillation is unavoidable. The usual cure in stock vehicles is to set the pinion angle in the middle some where with respect to how the vehicle is intended to be driven.
Along we come and double the engines power and alter the ride-height, and all-chaos breaks loose back there.lol. All we can do is minimize the dance with respect to power transmission, and axle wrap-up, and the rest we have to live with.
>I can't say that this is your problem, but it is worth checking out.

My combination is a little different, with mild power just under 300 horsepower and stiff springs in good condition. Yes, pinion angle resonance/faint vibes have crossed my mind perhaps magnified by the recent gear change.

I am sure I'll sort it at some point. Going to keep driving it since it doesn't seem like anything catastrophic is going to occur.

Well, all the best to you, and when you solve it, be sure to let us know, so we too can learn.

Indeed and thanks. I'm pretty OCD about this stuff so at the least, I try to improve it. Could be nothing major to someone else, especially if its just some effect of slightly off pinion angle or slight driveshaft overspeed and/or not perfect runout.

-
Back