Mis-aligned differential splines HELP NEEDED

-

cu440da

Reaction score
Looking for some good advice- other than disassembly- on how to get the splines lined up so I can install the axle.

I have had the pumkin installed in housing with drive shaft bolted up and in park. Tried to slip the outer splines. No luck. Tried it in neutral with the other axle installed and braced so it wouldnt move. No luck.

I believe the mis-alignment happened driving out the thrust block, so I tried to replicate the hammer shock while attempting to get the splines to move. No luck.

Can you give a few more details? Like maybe what kinda car we got here? What kinda rear axle? I assume a sure grip, because if not, you got some problems.

Assuming it's a sure grip, and SOME kinda Mopar rear axle......it sounds like it is tight. That's good. Here's what "I" would do.

I am assuming the car is jacked up and wheels are off. Install the 5 lug nuts on the wheel studs on one side to protect the wheel stud threads. With the shifter in park, take a long pry bar and slip in between the wheel studs. Now you have leverage enough with the pry bar to force the clutches (or cone) in the sure grip unit top slip and move the side gears independently of one another and line them up.

8 3/4 sure grip with low miles on rebuild and new clutches. Tight? Yeah- I think I have a hernia on top of a hernia from trying that method for the better part of last weekend.

You may have to end up taking it back apart. The correct way to assemble them is with the axles installed IN the third member BEFORE you tighten down the case halves. Tighten down the bolts slowly and with HAND tools gently shaking the axles as you tighten to keep the side gears centered as best as you can. Once you get them hand tight and the axles will slip in and out easily, torque the case bolts to spec and then remove the axles. I assume you know to use red locktite on the bolts.

Sorry, but if you cannot break them loose with a pry bar, that's the only other way.

You may have to end up taking it back apart. The correct way to assemble them is with the axles installed IN the third member BEFORE you tighten down the case halves. Tighten down the bolts slowly and with HAND tools gently shaking the axles as you tighten to keep the side gears centered as best as you can. Once you get them hand tight and the axles will slip in and out easily, torque the case bolts to spec and then remove the axles. I assume you know to use red locktite on the bolts.

Sorry, but if you cannot break them loose with a pry bar, that's the only other way.

you only do it the other way once lol... I have a pair of axle ends just for this...

Yeah well, if you have access to multi million dollar stuff I guess you can afford all that. lol

I'm just po white trash so I have to use the axles themselves.

Yeah well, if you have access to multi million dollar stuff I guess you can afford all that. lol

I'm just po white trash so I have to use the axles themselves.

lol rusty... junk yard a pr of axles and cut 10" past the splines, if that...

lol rusty... junk yard a pr of axles and cut 10" past the splines, if that...

That is exactly what I did, cut a couple of axles about 10", I use them to keep the inner and our axle gears lined up while I bolt the cases together.

-
Back