Missing at 2200 rpm???

-

71DartGuy

Reaction score
Well I got the exhaust on today and wanted to take it for a spin and noticed before I got it in gear that it seems to have a miss that doesnt start until a little over 2000 rpm. Idles smooth and comes off idle well but seems to feel like a rev limiter is kicking in. I dont remember doing it last weekend but it sure did today. Any ideas?

I re torqued the intake today since its been up to temp a couple times and then cooled down but I still can find why its missing. It seems to be at lower speeds but I cant seem to single it out. I can tell that once its found this cars gonna move pretty good. I guess I'll let it cool down and then check the plugs to see if I have one fouled out. Any ideas??

The insulator had a light brown color to them and they werent black. I did check the reluctor clearance on my new dist and it was at .012 instead of .008. Havent driven yet to see if it made a difference. Also, should I change out my original voltage regulator with the new electronic ignition?

Well it appears as though its only doing it while under a load. Start her up in the garage and revs up good but back it out and put it in gear to take off and it misses/studders like hell. I really dont know what the hell to check next and really dont want to just start throwing parts at it....

I hate to do it but i guess I'm gonna have to start throwing some parts at this thing. I think i'll swap out the stock replacement Bosch plug wires with some better ones (any recommendations?) and a coil (MSD Blaster?). Hopefully something will change here in the next few days..?

when I have problems with misfiring I like to change plugs wires cap and rotor button. I like champion plugs and use RC12MC4 they seem to work nicely, when replacing plug wires I go with Napa Belden lifetime wires they are warranted for the life of the engine as long as you own the vehicle and were the one who Installed/had them installed, and are a nice dark blue with silver writing. the plugs are around $30 for the set and wires are around $40 for a set

You could be getting noise from the old style voltage regulator. I would replace it with the solid state type. Autozone has them for sure.

John D. Beckerley
Austin, Texas

are your plug wires crossed?? like 5 and 7?

I checked and re checked the wire routing and they're good. I mean to start the thing in park it fires up and idles great and its just ready to burn the tires off but in gear- a whole different story!

You could be getting noise from the old style voltage regulator. I would replace it with the solid state type. Autozone has them for sure.

John D. Beckerley
Austin, Texas

What do you mean by "Old Style"? I have the rect one that measures about 3" x 4" and I'm pretty sure its original to the car!

when I have problems with misfiring I like to change plugs wires cap and rotor button. I like champion plugs and use RC12MC4 they seem to work nicely, when replacing plug wires I go with Napa Belden lifetime wires they are warranted for the life of the engine as long as you own the vehicle and were the one who Installed/had them installed, and are a nice dark blue with silver writing. the plugs are around $30 for the set and wires are around $40 for a set

I really think the wires need to be a little better than what I have- I'll check out NAPA tomorrow

I had a similar problem with a dart one time and it turned out to be a fuel problem because the car was originaly a /6car and it had the small fuel line so the fuel pump couldn't keep up with the carb at higher Rpms.

OK take a look at this buddy. If you have vacuam advance disconect the line and drive it, or run it up in N with the brake on and see if it still misses, then put the line back on, if it is missing withthe line on your distributor has a worn breaker plate bushing. I have seen this many many times, and it is hell with points, but even with electronic ignition messes up the dwell angle and can cause a missfire.

I would say the issue sound more elctrical than fuel related :)

is it surging or is it a dead miss. Mine was surging at cruising speed. Jetted up on the primaries and whala, fixed. I think I went from 69's to 72's on a Holley 670 Street Avenger.

I think I've got it fixed. I borrowed an accel coil and swapped it out- no change. Then i used his ign box and it seems to run MUCH better. I think I need to fool with my timing a bit but I think the brand new orange box was crap!!!

All right. Made it over to the carb guy this afternoon. He adjusted the floats, unhooked and capped the vacuum advance on the dist, added a 1" phenolic spacer, and played with the timing and it seems to be running great now. However, I think he got a little greedy with the timing and it pings a little bit so I need to turn the dist a little. I worked 58 hours this week and cant for the life of me figure out which way to turn the dist to get the ping to go away. Pretty sad huh? I havent been this mentally drained in a long time!

-
Back