Mixing and Matching Steering Parts

-

JRod01

Jesus is my Savior!
Reaction score
I've had nothing but the worst luck with the aftermarket K frame I purchased so I reinstalling the stock one. It's a slant 6 k member for a 73 Duster that's hosting a 440. The problem that comes into play is this. I have 72 spindles with willwood dynalite brakes and they are for the 72 spindle. I measured to find that the 73 lower ball joint will not bolt up to this spindle. My question is this: will the 72 spindle work with the 73 steering linkage? The only thing I could see being different is where the tie rod end connects to the center linkage. The 72 is longer than a 73 and would cause the t.r.e. to be back a little and could cause less turning for the wheel. Any thoughts? All help is greatly appreciated.

Ahhhh, yes! You deviate from factory stuff and things start to get tricky!
The drum brake "knuckle" has smaller holes to mount the lower ball joint/steering arm. The taper on the ends for the tie rods are the same from 63 to 76. The lower ball joint stud that fits through the lower control arm also uses the same size and taper.
If you intend to retain the '72 knuckle, you CAN drill the knuckle holes oversized to accomodate the 73-76 lower ball joint. Personally, I'd be inclined to keep the 1972 and older stuff separate from the 73-76 parts. I convert all my pre 73 cars to the 73-76 steering linkage. The parts seem to be more common and the older style makes it difficult to remove the oil pan without lifting the engine with a hoist.

-
Back