Mixing oil weights

-
Rumblefish360, I did use the helical pump. My oil pressure used to be halfway on the gage now its 3/4.
Rod

You sure it's the Hemi tick and not broken manifold bolts? I'm on my 4th set of them at 90k miles. It's ticks for a short time when I start it, once they get some heat in them it goes away.

Cosgig, if you read my original post I've just replaced all that.
Ok then, I’ll add this….my buddy was an engineer on the Ford 5.4. I had an oil
Consumption problem and was going through the oil consumption survey. He told me flat out, when this gets fixed, change to 10 weight oil. He said any 5 weight oil or under is just for emission purposes, to up the gas mileage at the expense of the engine. He said it would cost a little in mileage, but it’s worth not having engine trouble in the future. Take it for what it’s worth, but it makes sense to me.

And for the record, you said you still have a lifter tick, so it sounds like that problem is not fixed.

My 6.4 always ticks when it starts. The MDS and and VCT are requiring lighter oils. I run Mobil-1 at the recommended weight. The fuel injectors also make noise. This is my first Gen-III, so things are not the same as my Gen-II dump-truck hemi engines. They don't need gear lube weight oils.
6.4 hemi 9-2-2021.jpg

Ok then, I’ll add this….my buddy was an engineer on the Ford 5.4. I had an oil
Consumption problem and was going through the oil consumption survey. He told me flat out, when this gets fixed, change to 10 weight oil. He said any 5 weight oil or under is just for emission purposes, to up the gas mileage at the expense of the engine. He said it would cost a little in mileage, but it’s worth not having engine trouble in the future. Take it for what it’s worth, but it makes sense to me.

And for the record, you said you still have a lifter tick, so it sounds like that problem is not fixed.
5w20 as the factory suggests , no problems , no tick ....

Bad thing is i have 5-20 in it now.
I used to use mobile 1 5-20 and I lost the #5 roller on the exhaust side. Many people were saying that the mobile wasn't a good oil to use, although I have ran it in most vehicles for the last 20 years I thought I would try the royal purple 5-20 as 8ve heard its a very good oil. Well it's getting changed out and I'm going back to mobile 1. I didn't even have a tick when the cam was setting my cyl 5 misfire and the roller was locked up.
The noise/tick started on the 3rd day after everything was replaced. I used the Mopar cam and phaser but no lifters were available so I had to go with sealed power which has good products.
I'm thinking about selling it this fall as i hate to say it but I'm very frustrated with the new Dodge or should I say Ram engineering. The lifter placement in this 5.7 is ridiculous as the oil has to struggle to lubricate the rollers and cam lobes.
Well thanks for everyone's opinion on what to do. Guess I'm going to try going back to mobile 1 5-20 full synth. Should have stayed with it in the first place as the royal purple was overpriced. Lol
Rod

-
Back