Mopar Madness rear axles??

-
$2600 for an 8.75... REALLY???

Buy a Dana 60!

x2

I built and 8-3/4 with axles and then built a D-60 myself after I broke the 8-3/4 and it wasn't much more...made me wish I built the Dana from the start.

Oh, I am using 35 spline axles from Doctor Diff. They are a little more then his usual ones due to the spline size and the custom length (narrowed diff), but they have been fine the past 2 years, and dealing with Cass was great

Since you are on a budget... Are you incapable due to you disability of putting/bolting this stuff together?

If you can bolt stuff together, here's what I would do.

I'd find someone that is selling a complete A body 8.75 with ANY case and good 3.23 gears, swap in the tru trac/carrier bearings, buy BBP axles and brakes. Sell the SBP axles and brakes and be in around $1500 before painting.

Those tru tracs are EXPENSIVE! Like $600ish last time I checked.[/QUOTE}

My problem is that I cannot lift and carry much heavy stuff, and rear axles certainly qualify. Working alone complicates things as well.
I had an empty A body 8.75" housing, but it was stolen from my yard. B*st*rd left the complete 9.75 axle right beside it.

I had planned out exactly what you said you would do, but the best I could do was $1,700 & no Truetrac. Might as well deal with the folks I've been asking about.

Yes, Truetracs are expensive, but with no clutches to wear out, and no special fluid to buy maybe not all that expensive.

I've even thought about going to an 8.25" axle. Either I'm not finding the right places to look for 'em, or they're as rare as 8.75s. The Truetracs for the smaller axles are about $200.00 cheaper, though.

Again. thanks for the input! Any further thoughts...send 'em to me.

ATB

BC

most 73 and later A bodies, especially V8 cars had the 8 1/4". You could probably buy a complete car from your local classifieds, or ebay for $500 or less and if you posted an ad you would probably find someone who would swap the rear end assy. for you in exchange for hauling the car away to salvage its disc brakes and V8 K member....just a thought.

John Wolfe at Mopar Madness is a good guy. I'll throw him a plug here. He built my transmission and it's still running good as ever. Bought several parts from him and never disappointed. He lives right down the road too.

Wow, Dave! I have been just searching C/L for MOPAR parts, and this ad doesn't use that word, so I missed it. It was posted November 7th, so I hope it hasn't been picked clean yet. I certainly will check it out. Thank you very much!

ATB

BC

Anyone ever deal with the folks at Mopar Madness. Their 8 3/4" axle packages seem pretty decently priced and well described, too.
I'm pretty ignorant about the axles, all I know is what I've read - magazine articles and such. So, any Mopar Madness customers out there wanna sound off??
Or any other makers of 8 3/4" axle assemblies, for that matter, I'm shopping....

ATB

BC
I talked to mopar madness @ eBay and the first thing he wanted to do was make the sale outside of Ebay. You know - where there's no warranty. There was a review on Ebay - but it has since been removed, where a customer stated that he had bought a complete rear end but was not at all what he was promised by Mopar Madness. He never opened it up before installing it. But said the brakes were installed wrong before he ran it. More importantly, he claimed within just a few miles of driving that it broke apart. Later, after towing it home on a flat bed and then inspecting it - he discovered what appeared to be an "axle plate hold down nut" jammed into the ring gear. Almost like it was welded to the ring gear from the force of the pinion gear smashing it into the ring gear repeatedly until it finally broke the center. As if someone had accidentally lost the nut in the housing and sealed it in. Either through the axle sides, or before the center was installed. Sounds crazy - I know - and obviously I didn't actually see it with my own eyes. I just read it in a review. But it seemed like a very specific thing to make up about a rear end. I mean - if he was just un happy - or if it JUST BROKE for some other reason - why make up a story about everything else? Like about a nut that looks like axle hold down nut and about the brakes being installed wrong. I spoke (on the phone) with John at Mopar Madness about that particular review and he said it was all just buyers remorse and that guy made up the whole story. When I said it was strange thing to make up and if that customer asked for new parts - John became agitated and said that customer voided the warranty buy installing the rear incorrectly. So, I'm with the other guys out there. Get it from Cass @ DR Diff. I just got a 489 Yukon case from there with the helical posi (sure grip) and 355 gears back in Nov of 23' for $1,601. He was $200 cheaper than my local guy that I've been using for years and it's just as good. I have had Zero problems w/it. Nice and quiet. Oh - and it was packaged really, really well. You know how heavy those things are. Arrived perfectly safe. I hope it all works out for you what ever u decide. If you go with Mopar Madness - make sure you do it through ebay - no matter what he says. He'll say "it's cheaper if u cut ebay out of the deal" And give you a better price - DON"T do it. Protect yourself bro. They're not a "dime a dozen" any more.

-
Back