Mopar Performance Aluminum Heads... Thoughts?

-

Prodrive789

Reaction score
In the middle of my 416 build, and the time has come to decide on cylinder head options. Build will have Scat Forged rotating assembly, RPM Air gap intake, 3500 stall, 3.91 gear and 850 Demon carb.

I've got a set of X heads, my machine shop said that once he sonic checks them an gives them some love (Tanking, parts, porting etc), I would be into them about $1,000. He was advising that I go with Aluminum heads for a few more bucks, and would be able to take more compression and be lighter.

This build I'm shooting for street/strip setup; he is advising 10:5 to 1 compression.

He also said my choice on using the Lunati 60405 Voodoo cam would be a good one, but also said that going mechanical cam would be a good route too.

I've read good reviews on the RPM Edelbrocks, but seen too many on the Mopar Performance heads.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-5153849/overview/

Let me know your thoughts, thanks for reading!

Mopar Performance heads are Edelbrock Performer RPM heads I believe.

The Edelbrocks are an excellent choice have them on my 360 and had them on my 416,just make sure your builder checks them out before installing..much better route then sinking money into steel heads..

The Edelbrocks are an excellent choice have them on my 360 and had them on my 416,just make sure your builder checks them out before installing..much better route then sinking money into steel heads..

I used edelbrocks on my 360 and they were great.

Good to know, I've read quite a few stroker builds using them. I might put these heads up for sale and see what interest I get.

If I go the Edelbrock route, my builder will surely go through them!

Whats the lift on that Lunati cam??...

Here's the specs-

Product Description

Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cam. This is possibly the most powerful hydraulic cam ever designed! Designed for Very Hot street/bracket race applications, this cam requires a minimum of 10.5:1 compression, 4.11 gearing and 3500 RPM stall converter.

Works with up to 250HP nitrous, and pulls Very Hard past 6500 RPM.

Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 284/292
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 242/252
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .533/.552
LSA/ICL: 110/106
Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
RPM Range: 2500-6600

It seems like this would work well, but my builder asked if I had thought about going with a solid cam; never ran one but heard many cars that have them. Obviously I'd have to keep my eyes on the adjustment if I went that way.

I bought the 775's ,, what issues have you seen or are referring to finding in the edel heads? My machine shop thinks the surface finish is tooo rough for a start.

Prodrive that's an excellent cam i ran it in my 416 and currently using it in my 360 :D:D

That baby sounds awesome, I hope you get some video of this for us.
I do have to say a 3500 rpm, mechanical and 4.11 seems like maybe you should change your goal from "Street/Strip" to "Can drive to the Strip". But hell what do I know, not much, lol.

Prodrive that's an excellent cam i ran it in my 416 and currently using it in my 360 :D:D

Thanks, looking forward to finally getting this thing rolling again!

That baby sounds awesome, I hope you get some video of this for us.
I do have to say a 3500 rpm, mechanical and 4.11 seems like maybe you should change your goal from "Street/Strip" to "Can drive to the Strip". But hell what do I know, not much, lol.

That's pretty much what I want from the street part... :D
I just want to get back into bracket racing! :burnout:

Awesome, love to hear it when it's done. I wanted to biuld that but it wouldn't fit my needs dammit.

That's a nasty cam. I used to use it quite a bit but got a lot of complaints about driveability. it has a nasty sound and likes compression, like 11 to 1.

video here of this in a 408 [ame]https://youtu.be/mE_nn42KDCU[/ame]

That's a nasty cam. I used to use it quite a bit but got a lot of complaints about driveability. it has a nasty sound and likes compression, like 11 to 1.

I would guess so. That's more cam and less LSA than I have in my big block but man it sounds nasty...

-
Back