Mopars with fog lights

-

68coupe

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had pictures of Mopars with fog lights. My 70 Cuda had the fog (or driving) lights, which I liked very much. I have a set of Lucas rectangular halogens that I acquired around 1975 and was thinking of putting them on the 68 Barracuda. Not sure what they would look like, either over or under the bumper. Then again, I might trade them for a set of small round lights for under the bumper. I installed halogen headlights, so I really don't need them. Thanks

I've always thought some 5" round ones would look good on the bumper gaurds of my Dart Sport. It's on the list of 'Stuff I'd like to do, eventually'

Looks great on the cuda but who drives cars like these in the fog???? lol! Ours never get driven in fog. BTW this isn't one of our cars just pic file

Attachments

• 1971-plymouth-hemi-cuda-rkmcca.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 410
I'm not as concerned about the fog as I am the damned deer! Course, I don't know that lights would help that since they like to jump right in front of the car! I have to remind myself to slow down out here at night. Lots of those critters around here.

I really just kinda like the looks of the lights on the E-bodies. The A-bodies might look kinda goofy, that's why I wanted to see some. My idea was to put the lights inboard like the E-bodies.

BTW, I have always heard that fog lights are yellow, driving lights are clear. Anybody an expert on automotive lighting?

Kinda wanna do this on my Dart eventually. I think its a cool idea. Not sure where I would mount them though

Looks great on the cuda but who drives cars like these in the fog???? lol! Ours never get driven in fog. BTW this isn't one of our cars just pic file

Uh, I do. In fact, since my Mopars are my only cars, they get driven in all weather conditions. Fog, rain, snow, whatever. My '74 Duster is the newest car I own, and it and my Challenger are currently sharing daily driver duty.

IMG_0711.jpg

Kinda wanna do this on my Dart eventually. I think its a cool idea. Not sure where I would mount them though

What year Dart? If it's a '70-72, the cut out in the front bumper for the front plate would make a great spot. Here's a couple options. Butterscotch demon picture is from flikr, I added the lights. The other one was straight off the 'net.

Attachments

• foglights.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 326
  • foglights2.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 319
I almost bought a set of 5 inch yellow fog lights at a vw swap meet a couple weeks ago. I think they were like 40 bucks, brand new. Would give the car a different look for sure, and I like all the lighting I can get.

Got this off Facebook months ago. Guy modified a 69 valiant grill and put it on his Duster

Just noticed something, not sure which lights are his blinkers and which are his fog lights, in the grill or in the bumper. I'm guessing the bumper ones are the blinkers.
View attachment image.jpg

Search the web for pictures of the rally Barracudas and Valiants of Harvey, Beckman and others. Some links on my webpage.

Well, I looked on eBay for versions of driving/fog lights and bid on some LED's - $4.24.

You get what you pay for usually, but at least now I know what they will look like and I like the look! I doubt seriously that these would help at all for extra light or fog. I'm going to mount them and wire them up as DRL's.

Hey, I like that too! It don't look out of place or tacked on to me. I think part of that has to do with the skinny bumpers, cuz I'm not sure I could pull that off with my Dart

I took a break from my suspension/brake work on Sunday to start tinkering with the fog lights. I finally found some cheap brackets on Amazon that would get them up to the height I wanted and also prevent me from having to drill the bumper (which I wouldn't do)...

I know that I have a lot of tidying up to do...I'm still finalizing the location for the relay and switch but the wires are mostly bundled/zip tied/out of the way...

Obviously they're not everyone's taste but I'm happy with the look so far! It also visually reduces the depth of the "beak" which I do appreciate.

fog light install 3-25-18-small.jpg

@MRGTX could you tell me about your chin spoiler? It looks perfect on there. I like the lights too.

Cley

Cley,
That’s a Mopar Direct Connection spoiler that was available in the 70s/80s. They turn up occasionally...there are folks who make similar looking pieces that might be easier.

spoilersbyrandy

I took a break from my suspension/brake work on Sunday to start tinkering with the fog lights. I finally found some cheap brackets on Amazon that would get them up to the height I wanted and also prevent me from having to drill the bumper (which I wouldn't do)...

I know that I have a lot of tidying up to do...I'm still finalizing the location for the relay and switch but the wires are mostly bundled/zip tied/out of the way...

Obviously they're not everyone's taste but I'm happy with the look so far! It also visually reduces the depth of the "beak" which I do appreciate.

View attachment 1715157658
Those hella 500’s are bright, I have a pair on my Jeep and truck, just to spot the deer on my way to work.
I used the supplied relay, and wired them to come on with the high beams.

My understanding is; Driving lights are almost universally clear. Fog lights can be clear or Yellow. The important part is the light beam pattern. Driving lights throw the light far down the road with little projected out to the sides. Fog lights throw a very wide but short distance beam with very little vertical spread. Spreading the light energy out helps improve peripheral vision at the same time reducing how much reflects off of the fog back into your eyes. This is also why they are typically mounted very low. Properly designed and installed they should not bother oncoming drivers.
Driving lights and pencil beams project light as far down the road as they can muster for long range planning and reaction. Contrary to some local Jeep idiot, they are not to be used with oncoming traffic.
Regarding the question "Anybody an expert on automotive lighting?" I'm sure SlantSix Dan will have more detail to offer soon

I'm not as concerned about the fog as I am the damned deer! Course, I don't know that lights would help that since they like to jump right in front of the car! I have to remind myself to slow down out here at night. Lots of those critters around here.

I really just kinda like the looks of the lights on the E-bodies. The A-bodies might look kinda goofy, that's why I wanted to see some. My idea was to put the lights inboard like the E-bodies.

BTW, I have always heard that fog lights are yellow, driving lights are clear. Anybody an expert on automotive lighting?

You need to add more lights and don't forget the extra horns for the animals that jump out at the light. If you add enough lights you can just hit them the lights act as a ram and prevent damage. This is how I roll at night in the city. You never know what will be in the next cross walk.

Cool_Cars_Picdump_9.jpg

My understanding is; Driving lights are almost universally clear. Fog lights can be clear or Yellow. The important part is the light beam pattern. Driving lights throw the light far down the road with little projected out to the sides. Fog lights throw a very wide but short distance beam with very little vertical spread. Spreading the light energy out helps improve peripheral vision at the same time reducing how much reflects off of the fog back into your eyes. This is also why they are typically mounted very low. Properly designed and installed they should not bother oncoming drivers.
Driving lights and pencil beams project light as far down the road as they can muster for long range planning and reaction. Contrary to some local Jeep idiot, they are not to be used with oncoming traffic.
Regarding the question "Anybody an expert on automotive lighting?" I'm sure SlantSix Dan will have more detail to offer soon
contrary to most new ford p/u`s that are aimed at the moon !

-
Back