motor home 440 build questions

-

jglover_81

Reaction score
This may have been covered before but I couldn't for the life of me find it.

Saturday I bought a 77 440-2 out of a motor home with the trans for $300. I am new to big blocks but I have always heard the motor home heads are junk. I'm looking for suggestions or opinions on heads for a street motor to put in my scamp. Are the mh heads really junk or do they just not flow as good as others? Do I just need to save some cash and pony up for aluminum heads? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Depends on which heads are on it. Alot of those have 452's if so they are good. If it has the water heads on it you will need something different.

If it has the water heads on it you will need something different.

What does that mean? Mopar lists 213 heads as motor home in 73 only.

I got a 1976 rv 440 it had 452 heads. They were on 440's from 76-78. They have a flatter intake port for emissions.

I will pull the heads off and look for the casting number.bare they in the same spot as the small block casting numbers?

Just pull a valve cover off. On top of the #3/#6 intake runner. Might be blocked somewhat by the rockers. If you do take the head off its by the edge of the head on the spark plug side.

Ok I will look when I get a chance and report back! If they are in fact 452's are they decent heads? Maybe with some port work?

The heads are 452's. The plans are to port the heads and use them with some new pistons to help raise the compression. Put a new cam and run it that way until I can save up and buy a good set of aftermarket heads.

-
Back