Motor plate & mid plate... any photos?

-

Garry in AZ

Building a 9 second Valiant
Reaction score
Is anyone running a B/RB motor with front and mid plates in a 67 or later A body? If so, who made them? I see Mancini and Competition Engineering both have something for this application. Curious on fitment and potential issues with timing cover, etc. How was the installation? How bad are the vibrations? The last plated motor I car I had wasn't much fun on the street.
I'd like to see a photo or two if possible... and thanks!

Garry

Is anyone running a B/RB motor with front and mid plates in a 67 or later A body? If so, who made them? I see Mancini and Competition Engineering both have something for this application. Curious on fitment and potential issues with timing cover, etc. How was the installation? How bad are the vibrations? The last plated motor I car I had wasn't much fun on the street.
I'd like to see a photo or two if possible... and thanks!

Garry

001.jpg

Mancini sells a good product. I've used their front and mid ( aluminum) plates on 4 cars so far and no issues. There is some trimming of the motor plates so bare that in mind when you decide to go that route.

Nice! It always amazes me when I see a Hemi in one of these little cars. Nice work on the firewall too.

Garry

Nice! It always amazes me when I see a Hemi in one of these little cars. Nice work on the firewall too.

Garry
I have motor plate in my 68 fastback. I went for the best "race balance" offered when I bought my 505" stroker kit. You absolutely cannot tell by driving that it has one ! no vibrations period, even w/ a 254 628 roller cam.

I have motor plate in my 68 fastback. I went for the best "race balance" offered when I bought my 505" stroker kit. You absolutely cannot tell by driving that it has one ! no vibrations period, even w/ a 254 628 roller cam.
Did you use any type of bushings between the plate and the tabs?

The Leal / California Flash/ Hemi Duster has both....elephant ears and mid plate. I am with the understanding the mid plate was critical to speed up removal of the transmission / clutch / flywheel for service. The mid plate mounting pieces pictured attach to brackets added to the block scatter shield. That way, everything behind the shield can be removed while everything forward can stay in place.

pictures are post 244
Turning back the clock

Last edited:
The Leal / California Flash/ Hemi Duster has both....elephant ears and mid plate. I am with the understanding the mid plate was critical to speed up removal of the transmission / clutch / flywheel for service. The mid plate mounting pieces pictured attach to brackets added to the block scatter shield. That way, everything behind the shield can be removed while everything forward can stay in place.

pictures are post 244
Turning back the clock
That was definitely a benefit. Many years ago I helped a friend with his race car with a motor/mid plate. When I first helped him he had a 11000 rpm SBC with a stick behind it. We spent lots of time pulling the trans for various reasons...mid plate sure did makes this easy.

-
Back