Mountain Bike Riders, Question

-

Drg racr

Reaction score
I wanna get me a new bike for exercise. I'm 6', 265lb, and need to lose about 40lb. My last mountain bike lasted almost 25 years (Huffy). I sold it at my last garage sale and it still rode good.
I like mountain bikes due to their versatility. What bike should I consider? I will do mostly street riding, maybe an occasional trail but nothing crazy like the hard core riders. I can't afford a top of the line bike, maybe $300 max? I've been told to stay away from the big box stores like Walmart.

Search Craigs for a used Trek. the difference between that and you're old Huffy will astonish you.

hard tail, 21 speed. front fork lock out. nice n big comfy seat. disk breaks if you can...

one that fits you. but all those aspects will make you happy.

craigs list is your friend.

300 bucks is pushing it.. spend 500 and have a bike that you will enjoy...

Go to a good bike store and see what fits - they may even have some used bikes - learn what a bike that fits feels like - then you can check out Craigslist (unless the bike shop has something you like - since they helped you out and everything).

Having a bike is nice, but unless you can spend quality time on it nearly every day, riding it will only make you more hungry. Study the market for used bikes on Craigslist for several weeks and you will learn to spot good deals. They go quickly as you would imagine. Research each model or brand online.

As far as losing 40 pounds, it is doable, but like many things, it will come closer to reality if you have some help from people who really know how to do it. I'm in the same boat. I'm 6'2" and was at 265lbs. Most people used to guess my weight at 220lbs. I paid a nutritionist to make a diet plan for me including what to eat and what not to eat. It cost me $50. I have been eating 7 meals a day for two weeks and have lost 8 lbs so far. I could not do it on my own without considerable discomfort, as I was eating the wrong foods. They were almost all high glycemic. The new diet is low glycemic and you are never hungry. I also do about 4 to 5 hours of strength training a week. Nothing crazy, and both diet and workout plan are sustainable for the long term. My goal weight is 215lbs at 7-10% body fat.

If you live in or near a city that has a gym, you may want to use that money for a month to month membership. Fees usually average about $20 a month.

About 80+% of any weight loss/fitness improvement plan involves diet. One of the biggest tools you can use is create a daily food log. Write down everything you eat, and look online to see what the protein, carbohydrate and fat content of each thing is. You will quickly learn to count those items. You really need to cut out all sugar and the majority of starches from your menu. It works.

yes stay away from the garbage at walmart and places like that. they are junk.

a bike store is your best bet but tat the same some $300 is on the lower end (still better then a walmart bike though) and will be hard to find new. used on craigslist is the best bet.. do some homework and find out what you like and whats quality and go from there..

if its going to be mostly used on the street why not a comfort bike? little straighter seating position, a lot more comfortable feat and a few other things that may make riding better for you..

at 6' i'm sure you should really lose more then just 40 pounds but hey gotta start somewhere .. weight loss is easy as long as you have will power. its all about portion control balanced diet and exercise..

i dropped 40 pounds about 4 years ago.. i did it eating all the same crap that made me fat in the first place.. pizza,cheese steaks..etc just used portion control and exercise.. i'm 5'11" and went from 210 to about 175 in about 3 1/2 months.. since then the dietitian i have been seeing from the start has really straightened out the foods i eat.. i still have that cheese steak once in a while but i only eat half of it and have a salad to fill me up..

change the diet in baby steps.. trying to do it over night turns a lot of people off. start with maybe changing how ya eat at breakfast time.. then move on to lunch then dinner.. baby steps man.. that way you will more likely stick with it.. you will also want to eat less calories at each meal and have a small snack between the major meals.. you'll be eating 6-7 times a day. also make sure you drink the proper amount of water.. its a lot more then most drink in a day.

exercise is all what you are comfortable with.. i started out with a high intensity work out. its in a group setting and after getting to know everyone in class its really a lot of fun. everyone pushes each other in a good and encouraging way. a regular gym is boring as hell for me.. my class is with a very good trainer that makes sure you won't hurt yourself.. i have since moved on to include a strength class and jump between the high intensity class and the strength class as my work schedule allows. i've put 10 pounds on the right way and in all the right places. i'm in better shape now then i was in my 20's. wear the same size jeans as i did in high school and haven't felt better... do what you can do and the bike will be a great start.

One of the biggest tools you can use is create a daily food log. Write down everything you eat, and look online to see what the protein, carbohydrate and fat content of each thing is

a food log is a must. but damn get into the 20th century and use one of many online options.. www.myfitnesspal.com is a great one.. especially if you have a smart phone.. just scan the bar code and it enters it for you... :)

bottom line its all about portion control, balanced diet and exercise...

Thanks for the responses. Keep em coming.
I was a body builder when I was younger, and I have a very large bone structure. At 210lb, I had less then 7% body fat. I doubt I can get back to that, but if I can get in the ballpark, I'd be happy. I did join the local gym this week, and I changed jobs which should help me stay away from fast food every day.

For that type of riding get a hybrid of some sort. My wife has one, its a Specialized, it has a mountain bike frame with MTB geometry, but the wheels and tires are more like road tires. It handles the occasional dirt trail fine, but she does 95% of her riding on pavement. I have a Giant mountain bike, I ride at least 10 times the amount she does, (90% single track) but when we ride together, I can barely keep up with her, there is a lot less resistance with her bike.

Obviously it's a woman's bike, but I'm sure there are plenty similar ones for men.

https://specialized.com/us/en/bikes/fitness/ariel/106302

The folks that recommended used are steering you correctly. You have received good advice. You will want to find a large or probably extra large framed bike for sure. Stay with the rear hardtail for cost and the weight penalty of a rear suspension. You should be able to find a decent used bike for 3-500. Stay with the true bike shop brands (even though they are almost all made by a few Asian factories these days). Shimano or Sram are fine and the lower levels of componentry have really improved over the last several years but if you can find the better componentry it will be a plus even if it's several years old. Most important is finding a bike large enough that you will be comfortable on it. Schedule yourself a committed time to ride once you get it and you will be glad you got it.

If you run out of used options this link could be an option for new. http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mountain_bikes.htm

When I was a bike officer, the department gave me a Trek. I loved that bike and it fit me well. I might look and see if they have an economy one. I've heard of Giant and Specialized, so I'll check those out too.
I've come across a few also like Mongoose and Genesis. Any opinions on those?

Mongooes use to be a higher end bike maker but lately (quite a few years now) the Mongoose brand is associated with the box stores. Mongoose still makes a few higher quality bikes but in most instances they would be a "pass". The only place I've ever seen the Genesis brand is at Wal-Mart.

Some that may be candidates:
Trek
Giant
Cannondale
Specialized
GT
Raleigh
Fuji
KHS
Jamis
Sant Cruz
Scott
Yeti
Kona
Orange
Lightspeed
Moots
Seven
Erickson
And on and on but these come first to mind. Some of these would be very expensive bikes but you never know when someone is unloading one at a killer price......

You will need somewhere close to a 20 inch frame, give or take, depending on your torso to leg length ratio, and that size will probably not be available in a box store bike anyway.

Another vote for Bikesdirect. I picked up this hybrid a couple years ago. If I remember right, it was right around $500 delivered.

2013-10-04%2013.34.54_zpsgaqbbndx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I do the same type of riding as you do. I'm also 6', 240lbs and I love my TREK. I've got a midrange TREK and its light and easy to ride.

The new thing is 29" wheels instead of 26" wheels. The extra 3" larger wheel makes it much easier to roll over things. Test ride a 29er and see if you like it. Some guys really like it and some don't.

Riddler

Ah..so that's how it's gonna be..

MY 1998 Trek 7000ZX. Mid-line bike going on 20 years!

If you don't go to a bike shop, at least review how to fit a bike, so you make sure the bike you buy is the right size for you:

http://www.bicycling.com/maintenance/bike-fit/if-bike-fits-buy-it

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/bike-fit.html

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.jsp

Also, in addition to the cost/weight savings of a hardtail, if you're not going off-road, it won't do much useful, and will absorb some of your pedaling energy, rather than putting it to the ground through the tire (which, in Mopar terms, will hurt your 60 foot time and your trap speed :))

I do the same type of riding as you do. I'm also 6', 240lbs and I love my TREK. I've got a midrange TREK and its light and easy to ride.

The new thing is 29" wheels instead of 26" wheels. The extra 3" larger wheel makes it much easier to roll over things. Test ride a 29er and see if you like it. Some guys really like it and some don't.

Riddler

actually from what i have heard the 29ers are old news.. they are going to a 27.5 i think it is.. they say they handle better.

fat bikes are cool too..

Sounds like treachery aimed at getting us all to buy new wheels.

#conspiraciesgalore

I used to be really into mountain biking, its still my main hobby.

I would check out PINKBIKE.COM that's where I've bought all my stuff on a budget. Its a similarly friendly community to abodiesonly.

Why buy a new bike for $300 when you can buy a used but good one for the same price that was $1000+ new? Obviously you're mechanically inclined so you can figure out any repairs/tuning. Make sure you get hydraulic brakes. I'm a fan of santa cuz, ibis, banchee and Transition. to name a few but theres plenty of solid used stuff to find there. Especially now when all the pros are getting rid of last years stuff for the new season. you're tall. Try to find a "Santa Cruz Tall Boy" they're the ****.

Also, the biggest mountain biking race/festival is going on this weekend in monterey california. the Seaotter Classic. My camping spot will be the one with the ugly yellow duster parked in front.

-
Back