Mounting a Duster on the Rotisserie

-

Bluescrawler

Reaction score
I just built a rotisserie for my Duster resto and I'm ready to mount it up. My question is; How do I determine the best point for the roll axis?

Is there some measurement I should use for each end to make sure I have it centered so it is easy to roll? Or just trial and error?

I am assuming there are a few of you out there that have done this and might have the sweet spot already identified.

Thanks,
Joe

I would like to know some general rotissery info as well. Im almost finished with mine!

Joe, do you have a picture of your rotisserie? How it's built, and the manner in which you mount the car to the unit, can often determine how easy or difficult the car will rotate. Also, as you raise or lower the car on the rotesserie, the degree of roll difficulty can increase or decrease.

What sort of adjustment do you have as far as "up and down"? I've had mine on the rotisserie, but the K frame was attached at that time and it was a difficult roll. Hope to get it mounted back up soon w/o the K frame.

As a side note, I have thought about purchasing some old weights (barbell type). If I could attach a couple of those to the top of the rotating section, they would act as a counterbalance and actually help in getting that "sweet spot".
C

Here are some pics of the front upright and the cross member that will be mounted to the front of the Duster. I still have to weld up some 3x3 angle on the mounting tabs so that I can use the bumper mount (side of frame rail) and the front K frame mount (bottom of frame rail) as the mount points for the cross member.

I found the plans for this on the net, in fact I think it came from one of the members of this forum.

There are a couple of things I am a little concerned about though;
  • The rotating assembly is not fixed together and relies on the uprights being tied at the base to keep it from separating. It just make me a bit nervous.
  • Getting leverage to turn the car, as there are no bearings in the rotating assembly, may be a bit of a chore.

I saw pic of another one that someone had used a chain and sprocket mechanism that looked pretty cool. I could probably go to a junk yard and find some old motorcycle chain rings and fab something that way. I still have some work to do on it obviously.

I appreciate your feedback and suggestions.

Joe

RotisserieFront.jpg

RotisserieMountCM.jpg

What sort of adjustment do you have as far as "up and down"? I've had mine on the rotisserie, but the K frame was attached at that time and it was a difficult roll. Hope to get it mounted back up soon w/o the K frame.

As a side note, I have thought about purchasing some old weights (barbell type). If I could attach a couple of those to the top of the rotating section, they would act as a counterbalance and actually help in getting that "sweet spot".
C

I intend to mount a tab to the movable piece on the rotating assembly so that I can use a bottle jack mounted to a movable base that can travel up and down the upright. For both the front and rear.

Joe

It's late tonight (for me) and I will be out of town most all tomorrow. I will look for a couple pics of my Duster on it for you. As for no bearings, that shouldn't be a problem.
C

Joe, have a look at the one I built. It's on my Car Domain photos in my sig block. It may give you some ideas for yours. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to give you an answer.

Joe, have a look at the one I built. It's on my Car Domain photos in my sig block. It may give you some ideas for yours. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to give you an answer.

I took a look at your rotisserie. I see how you addressed the "non-fixed" rotating assembly by fixing the position of the tube on the top of the upright and using a pin. I wanted to make sure the whole thing was very configurable since my friend is going to use it on his 73 Trans Am next. I'll take a closer look at it tomorrow to see what I can borrow from your design. The wife wants the dining room painted today!

Thanks,
Joe

Here are a couple pics of my Duster. Our rotisserie is tied together at the bottom by 3 sections of square tubing that telescope inside each other for adjustment. I think it's pretty clear from the pics.
We mounted the front at the sides of the frame where the bumper bolts ('72) and same at the rear, using a piece of angle iron bolted to the bumper mounts and a short piece of angle iron tying the frame rail to the rotisserie. You can't see it in the pic, but we towed the car out of the garage with our lawn mower (it's an uphill driveway) in order to pressure wash the underside.

Let me know if you have other questions or want to see other pictures.
C

Aug29,2007 035.jpg

Aug29,2007 036.jpg

Aug29,2007 037.jpg

The Duster is now mounted and spinning. Getting ready for blasting.

Here are a few pictures for those interested:

Joe

BottomView1.jpg

TopView1.jpg

TopView2.jpg

I noticed that the doors are off. Would it be prudent to tack weld a support bar in to prevent any body shifting?

go to my gallery and look at the one i have mine on it was cheap you can get the tires at Harbor freight

Joe; that is friggin' awesome! Wish I had the time & inclination to do something like that! However, since my project is, hopefully, the last car I'll get this deep on, I guess I'll trudge on....the old-fashioned way. (on a creeper-yuck!)

I noticed that the doors are off. Would it be prudent to tack weld a support bar in to prevent any body shifting?

Where are you suggesting I tack in the support? I do not expect it to be on the rotisserie long, however, I do not want anything moving around on me.

i have a 74 duster i want to get on a rotisserie but im worried about it sagging..... i need to replace the front frame section and floor ....

i checked out price ranges and decidide i was only gonna restore this car once as i plan to give it to my daughter when shes ready.....im replacing 100% of the frame and floor pans including full trunk pans....new quaters and front fenders inner fenders ect.....

i see alot of A bodies on rotisseries but they all have good solid front frames ..... anny advice im at a point of thinking of ways to mount the rotisserie to the fire wall ........

-
Back