MP 528 Cam in a 383 with no valve reliefs?

-

69dodgedart360

Reaction score
Found a 383 2 barrel motor that I am thinking about using in my a body. It is a stock bottom end motor with flat tops w/ no valve reliefs. I want to use a cam that will give me the most power without changing the pistons. (Building a budget street/strip ride). I don't know how far in the hole the pistons are but assuming the motor is at 0 deck will this cam be usable with the .028/.032 lash recommended? I have some 516 closed chamber heads with the stock valves in it and also some 906 heads. Anyone have any experience with this set up?

Thanks

............ur motor is not close to 0 deck, so that cam will have enough v to p clearance.....the 528 is a pretty good cam....the 516s will bump up the compression nearly 1 point................kim...........

Awesome, glad to hear. I am gonna run that with schumacher headers, edelbrock rpm intake and a 750cfm carb. Also going to use 4.30 gears with a 3500rpm stall 727 in a gutted duster. Hopefully run low 12's with it. Should I leave the stock 2.08 1.74 valves in the heads?

It'll work fine. Lift is not the concern with piston to valve clearance. It's not how much the valve is open, but when. That MP 528 has a pretty short duration so you will be fine.

had a 528 in a stock 65 383 with street dominator intake and headers, 4.56 gears 4000 converter and 275 drag radials at 3500lb went 12.65

Are you guys sure that'll fit? Doesn't the Mopar Engine book say a .509 is as big as you can go on a low compression stock piston low deck block?

As with any engine build, clay it up, but I'd bet money you'll be fine with a stock 2bbl 383 bottom end...the slugs are like .080" in the hole, and like RRR said, the lift isn't what gets you in trouble as much as the timing events.

Also, unless those heads have been cut for bigger valves, 516s have 1.60 exh valves...

Are you guys sure that'll fit? Doesn't the Mopar Engine book say a .509 is as big as you can go on a low compression stock piston low deck block?

Do you mean big as in too big for the p/v clearance or too big for a stock compression 383?

Do you mean big as in too big for the p/v clearance or too big for a stock compression 383?

Just spewing what I had read in engine book. Re-reading it, it was in regards to hydraulic cams. Looking closer, the .528 is mechanical and has less duration than the hydraulic .509 cam. Is that what makes the difference in this case?

I've got A .550 roller in a bone stock 69 2barrel 383 with 2.14 intakes. over .100 valve clearance

It is pretty easy to check when changing heads. Just put the heads on a flat bench and see how valve drop you have. Then look at a cam chart to see what the lift is at TDC. Between those two numbers you can usually tell if you have a problem or not.

To be more sure you need to bolt the head to the shortblock and see how much valve drop you have at TDC. Once you know valve drop at TDC you can flip thru the cam catalogs and figure out what will work and what won't.

.............When u adjust the lash on the 528 mechanical u r removing that much lift......so .528-.028=.500 lift...............kim.......

-
Back