MP purple camshaft

-
It is possible to open the exhaust valve too early, resulting in exhaust gasses being drawn back into the cylinder and contaminating the next power stroke. Not a good thing.

The above statement shows that you clearly don't understand when each of the cam timing events occur in a 4 stroke engine.

Do you know when the exhaust valve opens (generally speaking)?

Is it near BDC or TDC?

When does the intake valve open?

Near TDC or BDC?

Research those answers, then think about your previous statement. This might help: http://www.animatedengines.com/otto.shtml

LMAO. You haven't a clue that you're preachin to the choir. Yup, been there and done it with camshafts. I was simply speaking comparatively one camshaft to another. You apparantly missed that. LOL Read the Mopar engine manual, not some hokey videos.

LMAO. You haven't a clue that you're preachin to the choir. Yup, been there and done it with camshafts. I was simply speaking comparatively one camshaft to another. You apparantly missed that. LOL Read the Mopar engine manual, not some hokey videos.

Uh, you missed the point that I was pointing out that your statement makes no sense. The exhaust opens near BDC after the power stroke. The intake doesn't open for another 180 degrees (give or take). How in the hell is opening the exhaust too early going to contaminate the next intake charge?

I included the link to the simple 4 stroke animation because I thought it would make you understand the relationship between the various strokes. Obviously, it went over your head.

I've read through the antiquated Mopar engine manual. Mine is well-worn. I've just moved past it because it's old info that hasn't been updated. Lots of better info out there now.

A cam thread is worse than an oil thread....

Agreed. I just unsubbed from this one since it's pointless arguing on the internet. I've got better things to do.

If the old stuff works for you that's great.
IMO... Leaning on theory from books 20 years old and cams revised when I was graduating high school is simple pigheadedness and a brand loyalty that is admirable but doomed by it's own narrow vision. If technology improving mattered little we'd all still be buying carbureted vehicles. Take a look at a Ford 5.0 Mustang engine from 1985, one from 1995, and one from the new 2011s. The only thing that improves with no changes over that length of time is a good single malt. 600 years ago the facts said the world was flat. 200 years ago the facts said cars would never replace horses. 50 years ago facts said 1hp/cubic inch N/A from a factory car was insanely powerful and almost impossible. 30yrs ago facts were that Direct Connection had decent quality control and was the only major company interested in R&D on mopars. 10yrs ago facts were that MP changed to low bidder and quality on virtually everything went down severely just as the demand for Mopar powerplants went thru the roof (in relation to older demand) leading to better heads and much better camshaft design on a major scale by non Mopar factory vendors.

509 cam-509 lift minus 1/2 turn pre-lode.
528 cam minus .028-.026 lash=500-502 lift.
Same car both cams installed in car.

509 cam best et 12.28
528 cam best et 12.22

Low comp engine 8-1
440 ci
built trans
3500 rpm nos converter
3.91 gears.

0727001236b.jpg

IMGP0359.jpg

mopar 590 cam
11.10 et
Cam change to Hughs 590 cam
10.70's

IMGP0203.jpg

Real life changes.
No arm chair racing.

Cams: Ultradyne (compaines prior to that are not major manufacturers), Bullet Cams, Comp Cams, Lunati, Engle
Head casting: Edelbrock(not including the "452" aluminums), Indy, Engine Quest, Predator, RHS, 440Source
Cranks:Callies, K1, Eagle/Ohio Crank/440Source cranks
Rods: Eagle, 440Source, K1
None of these were a big Mopar market player over 10 years ago. All have helped enable us to get better product and better availability while MP slowly withers on the vine.

I hear you loud and clear....and I really like your cars a lot. Maybe I should clarify my opinion a bit. I was not referring to a race car in my discussion. But a mild to moderate street car. I still think the MP cams are some of the best.....I never said they were the best. just some of the best. You do some dang clean work, btw.

509 cam-509 lift minus 1/2 turn pre-lode.
528 cam minus .028-.026 lash=500-502 lift.
Same car both cams installed in car.

509 cam best et 12.28
528 cam best et 12.22

Low comp engine 8-1
440 ci
built trans
3500 rpm nos converter
3.91 gears.

0727001236b.jpg

IMGP0359.jpg

mopar 590 cam
11.10 et
Cam change to Hughs 590 cam
10.70's

IMGP0203.jpg

Real life changes.
No arm chair racing.

72 ScampTramp,
Thats the only Hughs cam I've used.
The race car just got a custom roller from Comp.
.700-710 lift
Rev tech springs
Titanium retainers.
More porting on the heads.

72 ScampTramp,
Thats the only Hughs cam I've used.
The race car just got a custom roller from Comp.
.700-710 lift
Rev tech springs
Titanium retainers.
More porting on the heads.

Lookin for 8s?

-
Back