Mr Gasket fuel line question

-

NukeBass

Reaction score
I recently purchased the Mr Gasket fuel inlet kit for edelbrock performer carburetors, pictured here http://www.jegs.com/i/Mr.+Gasket/720/29883/10002/-1. Once I got everything installed (I was trying to route some new fuel line for my new pump, but that's a different story) the plug at the 1/8" NPT port kept leaking and I couldn't get it to stop. I put in a different fitting and it, too, leaked. I called JEGS and they have sent me a replacement, that I hope to install Friday, but I am worried that this one will leak, too. I'm hoping my original one was just a simple defect, but I wonder if I destroyed the threads or didn't put it together right.

Has anybody else installed these type of lines and have you had any trouble getting them to seal? Any tips on ensuring it doesn't leak?

Thanks!

No, I tried tape later on and it didn't work. I wasn't sure what is and isn't compatible with gas.

I never knew Mr. Gasket made anything worth a crap.

"Teflon" pipe dope is okay as long as you don't use a ton of it. Just a little on the first few threads of the plug, but don't goop it all over the end of it. Let it set up several hours before using. The gas may eventually dissolve the tiny amount that may be exposed to it, but I've never had this cause a problem anywhere.

I never knew Mr. Gasket made anything worth a crap.

I'm going to find out when I put this second one on with some thread sealer. It was a little bit cheaper than the Edelbrock brand and I liked the idea of the 1/8" npt gauge port, but really don't need it. If this one leaks, I'll try to get my money back.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc6BOAF2M1E"]How to use teflon tape - YouTube[/ame]

well that explains my third child......NOTE TO SELF NEVER BUY MR GASKET CONDOMS AGAIN

The new one works. I put some thread sealer on the 1/8" pipe plug and the 3/8" hose barb end. There was a definite difference in the way the pipe plug threaded into this one. The first one must have been cross threaded or something at the factory because it was a real pain, compared to the new one, to unthread in the first place and, looking at the new one, never was able to get far enough down in the tap to seal properly.

However, all of the threads looked really dirty and I wound up using the first part's banjo bolt on the new part (with the new washers). When I was taking the first bolt off of the carburetor, I just loosened it with a wrench and unthreaded it the rest of the way with my fingers. The new bolt wouldn't go in more than a couple of threads with my fingers, so there may be something wrong with those threads.

I probably won't be buying anything like this from Mr. Gasket again, though.

Is this the fitting that screws into the carburetor? If it is, all the Teflon tape and sealer in the world won't make a hill of beans difference, because that's not where the fittings seal. Those are flare fittings and seal on the inside where the flare is. If that's what was leaking, that means the flare was not made properly on the carburetor or the fuel line.

Nevermind. I looked at your link. That fitting should have two compression washers that go on either side of the banjo end. One between the banjo end and the bolt head and the other between the banjo end and the carburetor. This is the same type connection as a front brake caliper. Once again, the threads do NOT seal here folks, so thread tape and sealant are NOT what to use. If it did not come with two compression washers either go to the hardware store and get two copper or aluminum compression washers the right size, or send that JUNK back. Any type sealant or tape used there is WRONG WRONG WRONG.

Is this the fitting that screws into the carburetor? If it is, all the Teflon tape and sealer in the world won't make a hill of beans difference, because that's not where the fittings seal. Those are flare fittings and seal on the inside where the flare is. If that's what was leaking, that means the flare was not made properly on the carburetor or the fuel line.

Nevermind. I looked at your link. That fitting should have two compression washers that go on either side of the banjo end. One between the banjo end and the bolt head and the other between the banjo end and the carburetor. This is the same type connection as a front brake caliper. Once again, the threads do NOT seal here folks, so thread tape and sealant are NOT what to use. If it did not come with two compression washers either go to the hardware store and get two copper or aluminum compression washers the right size, or send that JUNK back. Any type sealant or tape used there is WRONG WRONG WRONG.

The original post concerned the 1/8 NPT pipe threads for a small plug where the fuel pressure gauge might be connected. These MrGasket lines alse have a larger NPT thread at the end where the fuel hose/line connects. I'm sure NukeBass knows that the banjo fitting doesn't need sealer. He never said that it was leaking.

The original post concerned the 1/8 NPT pipe threads for a small plug where the fuel pressure gauge might be connected. These MrGasket lines alse have a larger NPT thread at the end where the fuel hose/line connects. I'm sure NukeBass knows that the banjo fitting doesn't need sealer. He never said that it was leaking.

Ok. I'm stupid. But we knew that already.

Ok. I'm stupid. But we knew that already.

I might not have been clear on my comparison of the two parts. I wound up using parts from both to ensure I got a good seal.

You were right earlier, though. I don't know that I trust much of this Mr. Gasket stuff since neither piece seemed to be made exactly right.

-
Back