MSD Advice?

-

BigBlockMopar28

Reaction score
Anyone care to give me a run down on the different msd boxes? I had planned on getting a 6-al for the dart but I happened to see their street fire box w/ a rev limiter for half the price. What's the difference between these? I'll be running a 400 bb with some goodies if that makes a difference.

Functionally, they will work the same. And you'll probably never know a difference. But what you're going to find is that the 6AL versions have more "bang" lol than the streetfires

High RPM, and Racing Applications where more spark is desired, for a hotter, longer, more stable spark would benfit from the 6AL.. a normal street/strip car, you're probably good with the streetfire.

Street Fire Ignition Controller MSD Ignition 5520 - Pace Performance Parts

Digital-6AL Digital Ignition Controller MSD Ignition 6425 - Pace Performance Parts

View attachment 1714975372View attachment 1714975373

we even have some house brands that do rather well.
TSP-JM6929BK Top Street Performance 6AL Style Ignition Box - Black Finish

TSP-JM6939R TSP Performance Mini Digital-6AL Digital Ignition Controller - Red Anodized
• Spark: 95 MJ per Spark
• Primary Voltage: 435V
• Secondary: 45,000 volts
• Duration: 20ଂ Camshaft Rotation
• Current Draw: 0.7 Amps per 1,000 RPM

hope this helps

upload_2016-9-30_9-1-4.png

upload_2016-9-30_9-2-0.png

Buy a ready to rrun msd dist and get rid of the boxes they are just something else to go bad

Whichever box you choose make sure it has a rev limiter. Even if you run an automatic.. Trust me from experience, it's cheap insurance.

I run the Digital 6.

-
Back