Msd

-

wedgie

Reaction score
I just installed an MSD Digital 6 plus ignition controller in my 360 powered bracket car. The controller has provisions for a retard. Because this thing is never used on the street, should I lock out the mechanical advance, set timing at 34 degrees and use the retard feature for ease of starting, or should I have the stock Mopar electronic distributor recurved? I launch at 2200 and shift at 5800. What is the best way to lock out the advance?

Lock the advance and set your box to use the "start retard". That will retard the timing 20 degrees until you reach 800 RPM then restore full timing. The retard will kick back in when you drop below 500 RPM. Here's what the instruction manual has to say:

Cylinder Select Cyl.Select w/ 20° Start Retard
0 = 4 cyl. 4 = 4 cyl.
1 = 6 cyl. 5 = 6 cyl.
2 = 8 cyl. 6 = 8 cyl.
3 = 6 odd 7 = 6 odd fire

START RETARD
[FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT][FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT]The Start Retard will be activated during cranking only when the Cylinder Select dial is in the 4, 5, 6 or 7 position (Figure 2). During cranking the timing will retard 20° until 800 rpm when it returns to the mechanical setting. If engine speed drops below 500 rpm, the start retard is activated again.

As far as the best way to lock out the advance, based on my assumption that the mechanism is similar to that in a Chevy distributor, I weld my shaft then grind the weld flat. Sorry for the Chevy comparison, but I'm completely new to Mopars and am not too familiar with them....yet. :snakeman:
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

I locked the timing down on mine and use all MSD, I set my crank trigger at 36 degrees its much more consistent for bracket racing. I dont have the start retard so I get the motor spinning over then flip the ignition switch.

-
Back