muffler and brake shop

-

wirenut

Reaction score
Hi Folks. Some friends and I are thinking of openeing a mufller and brake shop. Can anyone share thier experince in owning one, good bad or indifferent? The plus' and minuses?

You'll need some pretty deep pockets to fall back on.

I be so scared of investing in new business right now

Yes, I know, some small auto repair shops bring in big money but those seemed to been around a longtime

Today you got places like Tuffy that opened up around here last year, place is worth millions, whole new building they put up with 9--10 bays, hoists, nice waiting area. It must be corporation owned.

That is what the city-least our city would rather have, not some small old shop with 2--3 bays. Freaken city inspectors can make life very expensive if they like. Oh your hoists needs $10,000 in repairs

We had a new hamburger place called Boardwalk, was around 7 months before it shut down, the Subway shop next door with $5 foot long subs is still going strong

Now some cities are cooler--like Pontiac Michigan, they got nice family owned shops out there and for trans work I go 45 mins out there.

The only example(s) I know to point to is the difference between the "box stores" like Midas and others, and a couple of small independents I know, ONE in particular.

He started VERY small, but is a HELL of a welder, and can "scratch build" just about any system, including certified stainless welding and aircraft work.

You need to be ready to work on about anything, and be able to adjust your work to the situation. That means motorhomes, boats, whatever. So this means you need the proper hoist(s) for such work. Not everybody is gonna want a bow -to- stern stainless tuned 4" super duper system. Sometimes, all they want is a simple tailpipe or muffler. SOMETIMES you might be better off just ordering a parts store replacement and slamming it on there.

If you cannot or are not already equipped for oxy/ acet, mig/ tig/ stick welding, and are comfortable with slag in your eyes, you are wasting your time and money.
UNTIL YOU BUILD a reputation for that kind of "detail conscious" work, and can OVERCOME the loss of business to the sheeple who blindly go to Midas and other hi - volume, low service outfits, you are gonna be eating a lot of tuna fish sandwiches.

I worked doing oil changes at a 10 minute oil change place attached to a Midas in the late 80's early 90's. That shop did well but I can't figure how a muffler shop makes it these days. My 05 Grand Cherokee with 134K miles on it still has the original exhaust. It seems these days the cars reach almost nothing in value before the exhaust finally gives out.

Brakes are the opposite. I do my own but if you brought them to a shop it seems they want alot which is OK with me. Can't do your own you should pay but it seems these days it is much less turning the rotors (and drums if they have them) and more just replace everything. I hope you can make it on this labor.

Now there is a Muffler man near me that has an owner that truely appreciates exhaust on classics. He charges some good $ to set up the exhaust but his craftmanship has had me come back 3 or 4 times.

Good luck. If you get a reputation of great quality for reasonable dollars you will likely do well.

What part of the country are you in?? around here you wouldn't ever make it sorry to say way too many shops around here already, and like dodge freak stated the "tuffy's" of the world have major backing, and lets not forget all the things you have to do to be "osha, and EPA compliant". my .02 if you do decide to do it I wish you the best of luck.

Out here in CA, if your not a minority (49% white out here, but not a minority) or a woman, your not getting a small business loan. And if you cant undercut the local south of the boarder labor of un-certified welders, you are going to be priced right out. The real money around here is Test only smog shops. $50 minimum per car, no repairs allowed, and you can do 2-3 an hour easily. Friend worked for a dude that pulled a G a day in a 2 bay smog test shop, and owned a "Gold key" repair station too so he was making money on both sides, test and repair; and the <$500 repair bill is mostly subsidized by our state so the checks are good (well, depends on your definition of "good"...) Good luck on whatever you do.

Hi Folks. Some friends and I are thinking of openeing a mufller and brake shop. Can anyone share thier experince in owning one, good bad or indifferent? The plus' and minuses?

Be prepared to lose some friends. Especially if any of you are married.

Back in the day I worked at several of them. It was good until about 10 years ago for the exhaust side. In order to survive today you need more than just muffler and brakes. Heck my 93 Crown Victoria still has the original exhaust. Brakes, custom bending, steering, suspension, and tune-up will be some of the things you will need to plan on doing in todays world. You can get by with a few car-truck lifts and do the motor homes outside on the curb as we did back in the day. You will need 2 brake lathes torches and a scan tool. Another point is most rotors are made so close to throwaway thickness by the time you get a brake job they are scrap already before turning. Do not watch your brake lathe run when you are cutting you are wasting time on other jobs. Good luck.

Thanks so much for the advice, 2 cents, and in between. I can always count on this community. Thats what I was looking for. I'm in business for myself now (electrical contracting) and am looking to get something else going. Its not that things are going badley I (we, wife and me) make a good living and keep a few people employed. I could never afford to stop doing this, but It dosnt realy light my fire, and I figure diversifying cant hurt. I have always loved cars and would like to go in that direction. Who knows maybe I can get something going to take into and through retirement. I'm open to ideas if anybobys willing.
Thanks again, Wirenut

Just an observation, but where I live the muffler and brake shops have turned into full blown auto service shops. They have expanded their services beyond brakes and exhaust to general troubleshooting and repair. I checked out two exhaust shops recently for catalytic convertor work and were surprised to see that the shops turned into general repair shops.

Just an observation, but where I live the muffler and brake shops and turn into full blown auto service shops. They have expanded their services beyond brakes and exhaust to general troubleshooting and repair. I checked out two exhaust shops recently for catalytic convertor work and were surprised to see that the shops turned into general repair shops.

Thats actually what we were trying to avoid. With todays electronics it seemed trying to service everything would be difficult. Just to many different systems out there

A good friend of mine started a general repair shop right before "the bottom" of our current recession. I think he is in year 3 now, and is doing well enough to employ one full time and one part time mechanic besides himself, and an occaional laborer (his son).
He does have a business partner that does some of the bookkeeping and legal/business stuff.

My wife has a theory that in a down economy, repair makes sence vs replace for those that either are paid off or don't have replace as an option.

My friend does a great job of seperating business and friendship.
He is a straight up guy and won't BS you, but won't give it away either.

They must be doing something right as there are literally dozens of "mom and pop" auto repair shops withing a 5 mile radius.

I started my own business last month.
I bought a 22 unit "mini-warehouse"/storage complex.
So far I have 26K invested with 2K more coming up for insurance, my payments are $560 a month plus $300 electric and dumpster. I'm buying a $200 sign tomorrow.
All the rent is in for March, and after sales tax, and federal self employment tax, I cleared.......$48.

There are 4 more units available at $75 and 1 at $95. So a bit more potential is there.

I do however get as many of those as I want. I'm already using 2.
...and I can now go buy that next project car I really don't need, and not worry about where to put it.

I've thought about making one unit a paint booth or blast booth.
I've also thought about an alignment rack so I can do the classics that none of the modern places seem to want to work on.

It's a big garage that some other people are helping me pay for.

Just some food for thought.

I started my own business last month.
I bought a 22 unit "mini-warehouse"/storage complex.
So far I have 26K invested with 2K more coming up for insurance, my payments are $560 a month plus $300 electric and dumpster. I'm buying a $200 sign tomorrow.
All the rent is in for March, and after sales tax, and federal self employment tax, I cleared.......$48.

There are 4 more units available at $75 and 1 at $95. So a bit more potential is there.

I do however get as many of those as I want. I'm already using 2.
...and I can now go buy that next project car I really don't need, and not worry about where to put it.

I've thought about making one unit a paint booth or blast booth.
I've also thought about an alignment rack so I can do the classics that none of the modern places seem to want to work on.

It's a big garage that some other people are helping me pay for.

Just some food for thought.

26k? is that for the property as well? Or is it a lease? I have thought of it, there was one for sale around here a couple of years ago, but between the asking price of $400k and property taxes in this area the #s didnt work and I would have had to borrow a lot if it. I think your wifes rihgt about the repair potential. I think its going to be that way for awhile. When you look at the price of a decent new car, I'm not sure how the average person can do it. Maybe I'm old school but it doesnt make sense to me to make $500 plus payments for 5 years for the privelige of basic transportation. Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for the reply

There was a guy who opened a muffler shop in a great location near me. He told me the lease was 3K per month. His one man show failed. Meanwhile there's another muffler shop about 8 miles away in a much older building, too close to the widened road. It is run by mexicans. Work in both bays every time I've drove by there.
Same applies to the tire business. Drive by a nice tire store and see 4 of 5 bays empty. On the next corner there's a guy with a tent and a floor jack installing used tires who is always busy.
So make 100 dollars each off 4 customers or 20 each off 20 customres, the big difference is how you feel at the end of the day. That's my take on it anyway. Good luck

Thats actually what we were trying to avoid. With todays electronics it seemed trying to service everything would be difficult. Just to many different systems out there

Understandable. Diagnostic equipment isn't cheap. And then there are the costs associated with learning how to use them.

Your operating costs will dictate how versatile you will need to be.

There was a guy who opened a muffler shop in a great location near me. He told me the lease was 3K per month. His one man show failed. Meanwhile there's another muffler shop about 8 miles away in a much older building, too close to the widened road. It is run by mexicans. Work in both bays every time I've drove by there.
Same applies to the tire business. Drive by a nice tire store and see 4 of 5 bays empty. On the next corner there's a guy with a tent and a floor jack installing used tires who is always busy.
So make 100 dollars each off 4 customers or 20 each off 20 customres, the big difference is how you feel at the end of the day. That's my take on it anyway. Good luck

The mexicans and the guy in the tent arent doing anything good for anybody including themselves. But I do get your point. We have this in the electrical biz. Guys like me follow all the rules and because of that, charge 90 per.. Contrary to popular belief its not easy money or high profit. Following the rules costs plenty. Then there are the clowns that ruin it for everybody. They dont follow the rules. As a result they charge 65 per. Half way through the job they realize they cant get it done for the price they quoted, they hurry and cut corners or employ hacks that hurry and cut corners. The job gets poorly done if it gets done at all. the customer loses, the hack didnt make any money, and I didnt get the job. So your right at the end of the all you may have is how you feel about it all.

The 26K was the down payment and closing costs on a 90K sale.
They won't even give out a business loan with less than 20% down.
I put in all I had, in order to get the payments manageable, and possibly be cashflow positive. I figured it would be about $100 gain or loss every month until the economy improves, but in the meantime I get anywhere from a 2 car to a 7 car garage...and $50 a month, all for about 30K up front. I couldn't build a 3 or 4 car garage for that.
The downside potential is- all the tennants move out, and I get stuck with an $800 a month bill.
...but I get 8000 sq ft of garage space.
The upside- I fill up with renters and get about 6K income per year which goes to 12K after it's paid off in 15 years.

-
Back