Mustang 2 front end

-
Yes. I have a front steer Mustang II with a manual rack and coil overs. It is WAY lighter than the torsion bar setup because it eliminates the K-member.

Bonuses include:

Run any oil pan you want
Nice pretty custom headers and lots of room
Motorplate so install any engine (any brand too if you are sick like that)
Get the front wheels moved inboard so you can slam the front end and still run a wide tire

can you even find a donor mustang 2 in 2017??

I remember when I was way younger hearing of those being popular among street rodders of the 80s and back but that was when those mustang 2 were in salvage yards and readily available.

now a day most of those cars and the street rodders they were popular among are all dead or too old to hot rod anymore.

You don't need a donor. The street rodder market as well as circle track guys have been using Mustang II suspensions for decades. The aftermarket is flooded with BRAND NEW improved parts for cheap. Check out a Speedway Motors

www.speedwaymotors.com

Thanks to the one that show input into it I’ll post up some pictures through the year of the build. Looks like I might be the first to publicly do this. if i don’t get kicked off first

Do a build thread on it! I like people who think outside the box.

He can come off like that.......as we all can from time to time, but don't discount him. He is EXTREMELY knowledgeable and willing to share information and help. That's something you don't want to alienate. We all have different opinions and sometimes they do conflict.

Where in Georgia are you, btw?
Norman park one of the best tracks in the south 40 minutes away. Racing in a hard tire class right now with a little chevy Truck and Iv had the duster for 16 years playing around with it of and on. Had a street 440 in it went 7.0 as a flat top 440 source headed 590 soiled roller motor. It’s been setting heartless for over5 years. A man come up to me a put a price on the motor and transmission I could not turn down. Another 2500 he could have had the whole car but I did not say that. I felt like I could do something with it one day

Alston and S&W both sell bare clips and complete kits. The clips replace the front frame rails and tie to the rear cross member effectively making it a full frame car. The clips are set up to accept either M2 or Pinto suspension and steering and come with a trans cross member. If you want to retain the factory rails Heidts has universal cross members. Whether you go with a universal cross member or a clip, different track widths, rail spacings, and rail heights are available.

There's plenty of guys doing LS swaps into Mopars nowadays. RMS is even selling their front suspension kits with LS mounts now. I'm going LS M2 myself.

Don’t know if y’all have a hard tire class but it’s a fun class we got cars that have stepped up to run our top ten list that would blow your mind. If the car is set up right u don’t get the side to side junk when you spin. They just go strait. Quick insight on the league of cars on it. One runs 7.70 in the 1/4 on Drag radial and one runs 8.90 in the 1/4 on slick. The 8.90 car was the top dog for this year with a top number of 6.54 1/8 mile. 1/8 mile is what the hard tire race is ran in. Our slowest car was a 8.00 this year. My little street rod is running a 7.17. Would post a pic but it’s chevy. This is all on a 40,000 mile tire. It’s a real fun competitive deal. I may have come off on that one post as quick to judge but one thing I don’t like is a bully. I try to not offend anyone and Iv build a lot of stuff for people. Aftermarket mustang 2 I have not done yet but by the looks of the cost that’s about to change. Is the bolt on kits worth it? Yes! But I guess I like to be a little different from the normal. Or I’m just cheap.........

68CB73AD-0E82-4962-81B8-C5A75DE93219.jpeg
Alston and S&W both sell bare clips and complete kits. The clips replace the front frame rails and tie to the rear cross member effectively making it a full frame car. The clips are set up to accept either M2 or Pinto suspension and steering and come with a trans cross member. If you want to retain the factory rails Heidts has universal cross members. Whether you go with a universal cross member or a clip, different track widths, rail spacings, and rail heights are available.

There's plenty of guys doing LS swaps into Mopars nowadays. RMS is even selling their front suspension kits with LS mounts now. I'm going LS M2 myself.
LS platform is just great. Our build (partnership of very close friends) we both have race cars so no fight over who’s driving the car. But we looking at 20k in the turbo motor and trans. And I found a few pictures of oil pans but I’m really wanting to go to the rear sump for this type of power. In my head rear sump will be safer for oiling.

can you even find a donor mustang 2 in 2017??

I remember when I was way younger hearing of those being popular among street rodders of the 80s and back but that was when those mustang 2 were in salvage yards and readily available.

now a day most of those cars and the street rodders they were popular among are all dead or too old to hot rod anymore.
I have one in the barn along with the 8 inch rear axle for my 27 T when I get to it. I am not old enough to retire of get social security and am still breathing .lol

The Mustang II front suspension is light, strong and VERY popular. All reasons to use it. And you don't have to find a Mustang II donor anywhere. Plenty of companies make the universal Mustang II suspension. Check Speedway Motors.

I love when people talk outta their ***. Why the HELL do you think there are so many Mustang II suspensions under street cars, race cars and hot rods? Because they WORK. There's nothin wrong with using stuff that WORKS, no matter where its origins come from.

MII’s are everywhere because they’re easily adaptable to different platforms. That means they’re cheap and easy. That’s it.

Does it work? Sure it does, the MII suspension works fine. Heck in the right applications it works great. I didn’t say they otherwise. But it’s not some magical suspension design. It’s a fairly average suspension that got picked up by the aftermarket because it’s easy. It has advantages and disadvantages just like anything else.

The torsion bar suspension is a good design and will outperform an MII suspension for a lot (not all) applications if you know what you’re doing. But it’s a little harder to wrap your head around and so people sell it short because they don’t understand it.

He can come off like that.......as we all can from time to time, but don't discount him. He is EXTREMELY knowledgeable and willing to share information and help. That's something you don't want to alienate. We all have different opinions and sometimes they do conflict.

Where in Georgia are you, btw?

Thanks Rob, I appreciate it. It’s the internet, sometimes “tone” is hard to read.

Plenty of non full chassis cars we run at Sgmp yearly (house of the flying cars) every year and get down the track safe and strait. Why do I have to explain my whole build to you sir just the main question was what I was looking for input on not some smart azz thankyou and have a great know it all bully life I’m sure your loved to your face.

Hey, you’re the one that wants meaningful advice without providing any information. Suspension recommendations for a /6 904 street car compared to a 1500 hp strip car are going to be different. If you don’t realize that, well, I guess you don’t want good advice.

And I don’t need some dumb Internet forum to stoke my ego, I asked you relevant questions to give you real advice regardless of what you want to hear. All suspension design is a trade off. ALL of it. What works best on the street, what works best at the strip, what works best on an autoX course, they’re all different. It’s all about application.

You wanted advice, you don’t want to explain what you’re doing, have at it. I didn’t attack you personally, I asked a few questions so I could give you meaningful advice. You want to puff up and call me names because you know it all already? Awesome. Spend the rest of your time trying to tune the chassis problems out of your flexy unibody with too much horsepower and not enough traction. If that’s what you think is fun, awesome. Seriously, have fun then. But don’t blame me for saying it, because that’s what you’re going to have. A flexy chassis with a ton of power and not enough traction.

Last edited:
Check out Gerst Suspensions as well. Do your homework, spend wisely. And keep this in mind, every suspension is a compromise, every single suspension design has its pros and cons, torsion bars vs coil overs, C5/6 spindles vs mustang II spindles so on and so on. I'm not sure what your plans are for your 1500 hp ride, drag racing or road racing or autocross or ???

Check out Gerst Suspensions as well. Do your homework, spend wisely. And keep this in mind, every suspension is a compromise, every single suspension design has its pros and cons, torsion bars vs coil overs, C5/6 spindles vs mustang II spindles so on and so on. I'm not sure what your plans are for your 1500 hp ride, drag racing or road racing or autocross or ???
I got to scrap the whole m2 idea because of class rules after all. Must retain factory stile front suspension. Drag Racing. Been reading into putting the Dakota rack and reverse the ball joints to achieve front steer. Got to get rid of the rear steer

I got to scrap the whole m2 idea because of class rules after all. Must retain factory stile front suspension. Drag Racing. Been reading into putting the Dakota rack and reverse the ball joints to achieve front steer. Got to get rid of the rear steer
You're gonna run into serious ackerman issues if you do that. probably be better to simply get a custom made oil pan.

Put the damn LS in a stinkin NOVA! Problem solved. IMO put mopar in mopar and bowtie's in well GM crap. JUST MY opinion.

And this is EXACTLY why we needed to know about what you were doing. You’re drag racing in a specific class, which has specific rules. What works best has nothing to do with it, it’s all about what’s legal in that class.

So, you need to convert to front steer, but keep the stock suspension for the class rules? If “keeping the front suspension” means keeping the stock spindles, duke boy is right on, front steer isn’t going to work without serious Ackerman issues.

I went with a Gerst. Just got my wilwood brakes in the mail yesterday. Dustin

That's what I'm using.

Doesn’t matter. If this is a racing class and he has to use stock suspension, the Gerst set up is out, as are all the MII style set ups.

And this is EXACTLY why we needed to know about what you were doing. You’re drag racing in a specific class, which has specific rules. What works best has nothing to do with it, it’s all about what’s legal in that class.

So, you need to convert to front steer, but keep the stock suspension for the class rules? If “keeping the front suspension” means keeping the stock spindles, duke boy is right on, front steer isn’t going to work without serious Ackerman issues.

Doesn’t matter. If this is a racing class and he has to use stock suspension, the Gerst set up is out, as are all the MII style set ups.
Oh I know. I wasn't suggesting that the OP use it.

Also.... depending on the tech, they may rule that have a front steer conversion to be against the class rules as well. Especially when they see the rack

Also.... depending on the tech, they may rule that have a front steer conversion to be against the class rules as well. Especially when they see the rack

Yup, exactly. Ackerman issues or not.

Time to find a tech, or talk to someone in the know on class rules interpretation.

Yup, exactly. Ackerman issues or not.

Time to find a tech, or talk to someone in the know on class rules interpretation.
Yep or avoid the headache and get a custom oil pan made for less than the rack and front steer conversion. He's already spending several grand to make that 1500hp what's another 3-4 hundred for a custom pan lol

I have no idea of your cars H.P. or traction set up.....but early 70's Pro Stock cars utilized R/P with a modified factory K /suspension. They simply ignored the ackerman issue because they were only concerned about going straight 1/4 mile at a time and greatly limited the suspension travel to minimize any bump steer. Joe Pappas (Mopar Missile) told me they ran on the rubber suspension stops. Naturally, cars without the big H.P. or good traction would benefit with some front suspension travel.

Last edited:
-
Back