My ‘66 Valiant Convertible at CTC Cars & Coffee

-
Nice, there was a car like yours in my city that I had my eyes on yrs ago, then it disappeared

I bought if on eBay about 17 years ago.
I should remember where it’s from but I’d need to look up where it came from.

The one I lost track of showed up at the Iola show yrs ago with MI plates, was an ugly lavender color

That is a really nice ride.
I did (the whole nine yards, in 1979-80) a 66 Sedan, 225/Torqueflite that I bought for $50.00, for my wife to drive. Wound up driving it from Florida to California, (July 1980) where it was put on a ship headed for Guam when I got stationed there. A guy at the Guam commercial port followed my son and I clear out to the parking lot trying to get me to sell it to him. He said his brother owned a taxi service on the island. We drove that car for over 3 years all over the island. When my tour was coming to a close, folks were lined up begging me to sell it to them. I finally sold it to a Sergeant who worked in the battery shop for $1500.00. I bought a brand-new Toyota 4WD, that was waiting on me in California upon my return. I've often wondered over the years, how long that car survived over there, more so kicking myself for not shipping it back?

That is a very nice car! I’ve never seen a Signet Commando with the 4-speed. I wish my ‘65 Dart convertible was. It would be interesting to know how many of these they built. Not too many, I’d guess. Wonder if the disc brakes were stock? He said he did the master cylinder, but that looked like the correct one to me.

It’s my car.
Yes the disc brakes were original equipment but I did get rid of the single reservoir master cylinder. The fender tag has the disc brakes on it.

Thanks. I forgot that the first disc brake Darts had single reservoir master cylinders. I’ve got everything to convert both of my cars to disc, except the M/C, and I plan to do what you did. That is a really cool car you have. Especially since it is a 235hp 4 speed with factory discs! I’d really like to know how many of those were made. I’m guessing very, very, few. Basically a Formula S Barracuda without the grill and badge. Glad you kept the stock exhaust square tip. I had a GoGo my senior year in high school(‘66-‘67) and nothing, and I mean nothing, sounded as good as that exhaust setup.

The ‘66 disc brake master cylinder is one reservoir but it had extra capacity added, so it’s a one year only odd part.
When I decoded the fender tag I did not expect that it was originally ordered with all the cool bits on it - I’d like to know if someone ordered it that way. It’s also a radio delete car and it came with an AM/FM radio but it had been removed for an 8-track. The antenna is also in the back on the quarter panel and no antenna hole on the right fender.

I've got some of the Signet moldings for it. I have both doors and some of the other, but, not all. I'd have to take a look again to give you details. Looks like you have a few other pieces to get to make it stock looking.....like the aftermarket outside mirror. Looks like the original dual point distributor has been swapped out too. I'm surprised that it doesn't have the bumper guards. Most of the Signets I've seen do. Mine originally was a 273 2bbl, floor shift auto, console, buckets, 8 3/4 S.G., manual drum brake, no A/C, AM radio, dark red ex. black int., and has the bumper guards. It's getting a few changes though! :lol:

Looks like you're missing the wiper arms too. The gas cap is also and aftermarket one. What do you have plugged into the top rear of the intake manifold? It almost looks like some switches or sending units? I think the throttle return spring is in the wrong spot. It should go between the ears on the end of the cable. What do those lower fender emblems say? V Eight?

-
Back