My 1970 Dart Swinger

-
California car, this has been my car since 1996, when I bought it it was in excellent shape body wise. It was my daily driver until about 2002. After that it sat in the driveway and developed some rust under the top. Started restoration in December. Still hope to be driving by August.

Color is supposed to be Chrysler 1970 Y-1, seems a little light to me though.

looks AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! you re doin a great job. keep it up.

I did the trunk last night, lighting is not so good in the garage and I was working solo so no pics yet, I'll get some up soon though when I get it back out to sunlight. I need to do a little repair to the drivers side door striker before I hit the jams with color. After looking at the paint in the sun it looks like the right color. Yellow can be strange depending on the lighting.

I know what you mean by lighting. I painted my car put it in the sun and it was the wrong shade. When I get feelings back in arms I will sand and start over. Your ride is looking really good. Keep up the good work.

Haven't posted in awhile but I have been working on the Dart just about every day. I rebuilt the door hinges and fixed the drivers side striker pin. Also put in lots of rubber bumpers bushings and firewall gaskets and seals along with polishing cleaning and painting just about every bracket nut bolt or screw that I am putting back inside the engine bay.

I also overhauled the 318 with a new freze plugs, oil pump, rod and main bearings, rings, timing chain, all new gaskets including valve seals, Edelbrock Performer cam, valve springs, lifters, and intake. Topped it off with a freebee Edelbrock 650 carb that a friend gave to me.

This afternoon I dropped in the freshened up motor with a little help from the wife. She worked the hoist while in a dress while I manuvered the motor into place. Then I wasted 2 hours putting on and taking off the motor mount brackets that attach to the "elephant ears" till I got it right. I had them swapped to the wrong sides.

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

Car is looking awsome. But where is the pic of the wife handleing the hoist?:snakeman:

Havent worked on the Dart for about 2 months since it was Destruction derby Season and I was building two derby cars for the County Fair derby. Smashed up a 71 Fury and an 89 Crown Vic last week and won some money and now its time to get back into building something that I can get more than 20 minutes of fun out of.

Here are pics of the trunk.

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

The engine back together a/c back on and new hoses and belts.

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

Not shure if the headlight bezels should be painted black but I think it looks cool anyway.
vbpgimage.php

Did the door arm rests and dash frame in SEM Hotrod Black.

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

Also replaced the dash pad with one that was in great shape that I got for $20 from the local wrecking yard. I had recovered my cracked oraginal but it kept warping in the sun when we were block sanding. I was gonna sell the one I got at the yard but I dyed it black and replaces the capped one instead. It gets too hot in the summer here to mess with the expansion problems of a cap.

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

Also my drivers side door striker was a wreck, somebody had tried to fix it before I owned the car. I rebuilt the hinges, man those Doorman pin kits are hard to find but Pep Boys did cary them in stock. Used the striker pin and washers from the 71 Fury that I demo'ed last week. Welded it up, grinded filled and primed and its ready for paint.

vbpgimage.php

that things lookin great. i m jealous. i wish i were that far. looks very clean and professional. keep up the good work.

This really is my first try at body work. I can weld sheet metal pretty well, lots of practice from building Derby Cars. I had never touched filler before though. I watched my brother in law with the mud and learned by trial and error. As for the painting I did the trunk by myself with a cheapo gun, my brother in law did the engine bay using his $600 Iwata gun. They look the same to me, lol.

my 70 cost 450.00 when i bought it and i painted lemon twist. got most of my parts thru paddock and summit, and year one. headliner i did myself but i suggest having the windows taken out first.

I stripped the underside of the hood on Tuesday with a D/A sander and various wire wheels. Have a bit of touch up before its ready to prime. A lot of the paint coming off near the front smalled like radiator coolant, lol.

vbpgimage.php

Also have a bit of welding to do, this spot near the latch is cracked in a few places, somebody must have slammed it hard.

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

Just thought I'd mention something about welding up stress cracks before you do it. Drill a small hole at both ends of the crack,1/8 will work. This will prevent the crack from spreading into fresh metal.

Just thought I'd mention something about welding up stress cracks before you do it. Drill a small hole at both ends of the crack,1/8 will work. This will prevent the crack from spreading into fresh metal.

Good Tip! I welded up an aluminum bellhousing once before and thats what we did, never thought to do it with sheet metal.

Love the yellow weldedrail. I have a car here on the restoration forums as well. A 69-68 SS car that I painted Curious yellow. Smart man going Epoxy! Keep up the good work and have fun :).

Daughter went to her Grandparents house for the weekend so in between helping the wife clean the house I was able to weld up the stress cracks, finish sanding and shoot sealer, base, and clear on the underside of the hood.

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

Next it's time to get the hood back on and start wet sanding the whole car to get ready for the booth.

-
Back