My 340 in my 66 developed issues :-(

-
Thank you guys! I have to get to bed, Gota work tonight, check back later.
Remember, I need a push to cut my inner wheel wells to do the headers..:-/

The Mopar Performance part number for that cam is a little different. In the 8th MP engine edition it is listed as P4120231 and suggests install CL of 106. I always installed this cam @ 104. They recommend valve spring P4120249.

Thank you guys! I have to get to bed, Gota work tonight, check back later.
Remember, I need a push to cut my inner wheel wells to do the headers..:-/

IF you are going to use the Hooker Supercompetion long tube semi fenderwell headers ( and I have them in a 65 Valiant Signet), DO NOT follow their exact cutting instructions!!!. Cut smaller dimensions first, then expand to allow for your install. If you follow hookers instructions you will cut out your upper shock support on the drivers side. I use aluminum plates to cover up the size of the hole you have to make to get them in there. And the drivers side is 4 pieces , so sealing the slip joints winds up being soooo much fun. HAve them ceramic coated first.. the heat is nuts without it ( you know how I already know that). Your tires may rub slightly on tight turns on the tubes inside the wheelwell.

I have removed and reinstalled mine 4 times in the last 10 years. The last time to have them ceramic coated.

Patience will be your friend.. It is an extremely tight fit but it does work.. Now I have an automatic, so someone else can chime in on doing it with a standard in the early A.

And they make the car sound and run great!! Search for my "10 year refresh" post and you can see the holes I cut in the fenders.

Ken

Don't cut your inner wheel wells out. You will be sorry when you go to sell it. Just don't.

Thanks Ken! I'm nervous!! I will look up that thread, but now I'm running back out to work.
I'm looking into a hooker header p/n 5115-1HKR , I've been on the phone and reading about it and it does not say anything about cutting the fender wells. The guy at hooker said the same thing and that it would work with my colum shift. But, I kinda expect I'll have to cut the wells... But before I pull the trigger and order them, I want to check with you guys to see if I'm missing something??

For the money your going to spend on the headers, look into 340 hipo logs. Sure they are not headers, but they almost fit, maybe a little grinding but I never ran them with a column shifter. Get an exhaust guy to make you some head pipes that don't neck down and then run duals with a notched crossmember. It will run great with that cam even with a 600. Mine did! And I regretted cutting my inner for the super comps. Sure they fit but are they worth like the 10hp that will gain with that cam? Not really. I'd go with dougs if I had to.

This may not be an option for you but I want to make you aware of my experience. I bought a 68 Barracuda from a fellows widow that passed away. The guy had bought a RMS complete front coil over suspension for it. When I put the 416 stroker in it, I was dreading tackling the TTI headers for it. When I did, I was floored at how the headers just slipped right in! No muss to fuss! Just another option to consider.

OP, slow down and don't panic or do anything rash. I would not want to cut the inner fenders either. Check out the Layson's Spitfire header reproductions that are made for the early A body cars. Check on delivery time if you choose this route; Layson's can be slow at times.

LAYSON'S RESTORATIONS - DODGE, CHRYSLER, PLYMOUTH RESTORATION PARTS

Pishta's suggestion above is another good route.

Thanks Ken! I'm nervous!! I will look up that thread, but now I'm running back out to work.
I'm looking into a hooker header p/n 5115-1HKR , I've been on the phone and reading about it and it does not say anything about cutting the fender wells. The guy at hooker said the same thing and that it would work with my colum shift. But, I kinda expect I'll have to cut the wells... But before I pull the trigger and order them, I want to check with you guys to see if I'm missing something??
Yes, you are missing some patience..... don't cut your inner fenders just because you want it done NOW. There are other options. If your car is in good general condition, then cutting the inners will cost you more in car resale value than the extra money paid for some headers or pipes that will fit without cutting.

Just get your stock manifolds cleaned up, and get a better down pipe installed.

run the car a little longer and think hard about what you want and where money needs to be directed.

TTI is the way to go in my opinion, worth every penny

image.jpg
image.jpg
Just home from work. Tanks everyone for being real, honest, and all your opinions! I appreciate this environment more then you know. I won't cut these wells, I just can't bring myself to do it. I'm going to see what a custom exhaust shop can do.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
My current exhaust manifolds are mix matched I think... The one on the drivers side is 2-1/2" outlet and the passengers side is 1-7/8...

Just got off the phone with tti and they said they do not offer a header that will work with the 727 colum shifter, only floor shift. I really want to keep it looking original in the cab... I will say though that with my colum shifter it is easy to go from first and miss second and go right to third in turn messesing up your launch.. What do you guys think of a floor shifter install? I really didn't want to but if I can make it look presentable..

Or I have the option of finding the right side hipo exhaust manifold and having a custome guy do it...
Thoughts???

I did a column to floor shift conversion years ago to my 69 Dart. I used all factory parts (used). I doubt anyone can tell that it didn't come from the factory this way. I'd rather install a floor shift in that 66 than cut the inner fender wells.

I would get matched manifolds, clean them up and install 2.5" downpipes to match the rest of the exhaust. That itself should be an improvement and I think you will be happy with it since you want it mostly stock looking. I've got Hooker Headers on my Duster because I could not afford TTI and I need headers for my combo. But they are hard to get a good seal and they hang way low to the point I'm thinking of going back to manifolds.

Just got off the phone with tti and they said they do not offer a header that will work with the 727 colum shifter, only floor shift. I really want to keep it looking original in the cab...

there are always options. I would go with their early A or shorty header, and one of these shifter cable kits before I would cut fenders or add floor shift.
I would go floor shift if you are planning to go manual valve body

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/idt-2801750010/overview/

Yeah! Do some research and talk to someone that has already been through it. You're not the first person that has gone through this.
How much value will your car loose by cutting them, maybe 25%. Your car looks really nice and I would love to have it.

Guys, I'm considering a floor shifter to work with the tti headers. B&m offers a quicksilver shifter but I'm unsure if that's the one I'd want? I love the look of the O.E. Shifter but for me to find all the do-dads to bring that together would cost a fortune.

The other option is finding a cast manifold with the large 2-1/4 outlet for the right side.

Tti offers headers that will work with the 727 as long as I use a floor shift and some special starter.

- I've come to the conclusion I will not cut my fender wells no matter what!

- I would prefer headers but am a little bummed about loosing my colum shift.

Thoughts??

Guys, I'm considering a floor shifter to work with the tti headers. B&m offers a quicksilver shifter but I'm unsure if that's the one I'd want? I love the look of the O.E. Shifter but for me to find all the do-dads to bring that together would cost a fortune.

The other option is finding a cast manifold with the large 2-1/4 outlet for the right side.

Tti offers headers that will work with the 727 as long as I use a floor shift and some special starter.

- I've come to the conclusion I will not cut my fender wells no matter what!

- I would prefer headers but am a little bummed about loosing my colum shift.

Thoughts??

Forget the headers and private message Treblig. He sources those manifolds. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/conversations/add?to=Treblig

-
Back