My 360 is overheating.....

-

Moparmax84

Mopars 4 Life
Reaction score
I have a 74 Duster with a 360 very mild cam edelbrock performer intake and Holley 750 carb with pertronix billet flamethrower distributor...As soon as I start it the temp starts climbing..I pulled thermostat and with radiator cap off I can see flow through the radiator and water pump isn't wobbly...no matter what I do it keeps climbing....is there a possibility of it not getting through passages in the motor...

Very first thing I would do is disconnect all the radiator and heater hoses and rinse out the block (and heater core since your there)
I remove the thermostat and put a garden hose and a compressor blower nozzle wrapped in a wet towel together in the opening.
Once the water runs in there for a few seconds I hit it with the air to blast it through the block.
8-10 times each direction doing the same with the bottom radiator hose with no thermostat but the housing back on and the hose pointed to direct the crap away from the engine.
If that doesn't do it then start looking at shrouds and a better fan, and if that doesn't do it then a bigger radiator.

A little condensed for content length, but this is the basics and it never fails to find the problem.

Ok I will look into doing that today....I plugged off the heater core I don't need it...It's bypassed right now...

First thing I would is VERIFY that it's actually running hot Infra red thermometers are cheap.

Thanks guys....I only had a cheaper electric fan on it and it seems like it wasn't moving enough air....So I bought a mechanical flex fan today and threw it on and it never went over 180....that was probably it this whole time...I've had other cars that I only needed a electric fan but also had an electric water pump...This one is still mechanical...maybe that's why..oh well thanks alot...Now to get carb tuned perfect and il be good to go..lol

Moparmax84,
What size flex fan did you put on it? Are you running the factory radiator and shroud? I'm asking because I've run into a heating issue myself.
v/r
Ron

Thanks guys....I only had a cheaper electric fan on it and it seems like it wasn't moving enough air....So I bought a mechanical flex fan today and threw it on and it never went over 180....that was probably it this whole time...I've had other cars that I only needed a electric fan but also had an electric water pump...This one is still mechanical...maybe that's why..oh well thanks alot...Now to get carb tuned perfect and il be good to go..lol
Do yourself a favor and make the flex fan a temporary thing. Those blades can come off on a high rev, no matter what rpm they say they are good for. Look for a Mopar vicious fan (clutch style) or a factory mopar direct fan. My 2 cents

Do yourself a favor and make the flex fan a temporary thing. Those blades can come off on a high rev, no matter what rpm they say they are good for. Look for a Mopar vicious fan (clutch style) or a factory mopar direct fan. My 2 cents

So can the solid OEM fan blades, and as a matter of fact I have seen a lot more OEM's come apart than flexes.
Never seen a clutched fan disassemble at RPM's though, just the direct drives.

So can the solid OEM fan blades, and as a matter of fact I have seen a lot more OEM's come apart than flexes.
Never seen a clutched fan disassemble at RPM's though, just the direct drives.
The one piece molded flex fans are stout. I always under drive them so they never get close to their 8000 RPM rating. I just replaced the fan clutch on my van Sunday because it actually locked up.

The one piece molded flex fans are stout. I always under drive them so they never get close to their 8000 RPM rating. I just replaced the fan clutch on my van Sunday because it actually locked up.

The plastic clutched fan on my Nissan pickup froze up and I drove it another 200,000 miles like that. :D

-
Back