my 66 dart GT

-

sakoe

Reaction score
Well I`ll start a topic for my 66 Dart Gt, i`m planning to do a lot of stuff on the car this winter.
I`v bought it a month ago, i`m making it ready to drive, and then i`ll start doing some serious business.
The car has minor rusit issues, but than again, this car won`t stay standard.
I`ve showed some pics earlier but here are some more:
DSC_0502.jpg

DSC_0500.jpg

And here with my other lovely ride :)
DSC_0499.jpg

Recent it has a nice running 225, but i like the real V8.
This view is going to change..
DSC_0234.jpg

I`m able to buy a nice 318 with a 904. that is now sitting in a 68 duster, a nice 4bbl setup:
motorbloksatellite005.jpg

motorbloksatellite004.jpg

I`m sorting some technical specs out for my conversion. Most parts will just fit, the recent headers are these http://performance.vfnfiberglass.com/Shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=406
so i`m afraid that won`t fit.. But then again that isnt such a big issue.
I`m also looking for a nice carb, what do you recommend for a 4 bbl setup? Some people say 500 other 600.
I`m also looking for a place where i can get affordable mounting brackets.

The interior has had it best time, so went to a little custom style.
Here are some pics in progress, on the pics it isn`t finished yet:
P1010540.jpg

right now:
DSC_0526.jpg

The outside has now the original burgundy red, but the plans are to make paint the car nice black. Lowering the car a bit, but i`m first waiting for that when the new wheels are on the car.
It has the original steelies, but we are going a little more sportive. I already got some spacers to convert it to 5x4,5.
11142909.jpg

Well that is it for so far, i`d like to share my experiences here. But i`m also open for all suggestions and ideas on how to make this car a real nice ride!

woops, I meant Satellite.8)

Looks like a good solid project....Keep us updated as you go along with it....Got to love the 66 Darts, Have had mine for 14 years now

Great way to start. Looks like a solid car for starters. Welcome to the 66 Dart world. ( PS, work in progress.) toolmanmike

Tnx, its a real solid project, there`s only minor rust in the lower quarter panels, so for now thats my biggest issue.

Are there any technical recommendations considering the conversion to the 318? Did someone here the same and had some problems? I`m really interested `cause it may cost me some work/time!

What about the mounting brackets? Where do i get these?
I will keep you all posted!

and what about the headers, will it fit? 8)

The headers won't fit, to the best of my knowledge. You may be able to do some cutting and welding on some of the pipes to make them fit.

I was going to tell you to go to NAPA for your motor mounts, then realized you're in Europe. :) Just about any of the suppliers, Summit, Mancini, etc. will have the rubber biscuit mounts. For the frame mounts, ask in the Parts Wanted forum or the General Forum, and I'm sure you'll find some since they are quite common.

Your 66 should already have the dropped center link, although some came with the standard one and some with the dropped one. If you need a photo of the dropped one, I believe I may have what you need.

The oil pan for your V8 will need to be from a passenger car in order to clear the K member.

Are you going to use a 904 or 727 transmission? If you use the 727, beat the tranny tunnel lip down with a hammer before you attempt to put the tranny in, otherwise it will hit the bellhousing and cause you grief.

Unfortunately the headers won`t fit, but i`ve also the opportunity to place the original manifold. (unless someone can offer me a set of headers for a fair price!)
I`ve bought a set of motor mounts here: http://www.engine-swaps.com/
6372Amount_63666_273318.gif

I use the 904 trans so that would fit without any problems.
What about the oil pan? I havent heard that before, the engine is now sitting in a satellite 1968.

I don't think you will have any problem with the oil pan. I put a 318 out of a 70 Satellite and used the oil pan and it fit right in my 66 Dart.

That is going to be a great 66 sakoe :cheers:
As OldVart said, You have saved another great car.
Keep up the good work and keep us updated.:read2:

You're good to go with that oil pan. As long as it came from a passenger car, then it will fit.
There won't be any interference problems between the 904 and tranny tunnel lip, so you're sitting pretty.
I'm still running the original 273 manifolds on my 66. They worked for 10 years on a hot 318 when I replaced the original 273, and they've been on a heated up 360 for the past 20 years. I know that I could probably make a lot more power with headers, but I just don't know if the cost and headaches associated with them are worth the horsepower I'd gain. Decisions, decisions. :)

i put an oil pan from a 74 318 dart in my 66. i had to put a small dent in the side so that the center link could make its full travel. i cant remember which way it was, but i couldnt get the steering wheel to go all the way in one direction without hitting the pan. i used a block of wood and hit it with a hammer to make a slight indention. nice car. good luck!

Now i know the oil pan won`t become an issue, otherwise some wood and a hammer will do.8)

You're good to go with that oil pan. As long as it came from a passenger car, then it will fit.
There won't be any interference problems between the 904 and tranny tunnel lip, so you're sitting pretty.
I'm still running the original 273 manifolds on my 66. They worked for 10 years on a hot 318 when I replaced the original 273, and they've been on a heated up 360 for the past 20 years. I know that I could probably make a lot more power with headers, but I just don't know if the cost and headaches associated with them are worth the horsepower I'd gain. Decisions, decisions. :)
What about the headers, if i might come across a nice set, i will do it, otherwise ill take the original manifolds for granted. All together it`s gonna cost me quite some money, because i also need 2 new exhausts and what more...
Well nice winter project! :)

I`ll keep ya`ll updated!

Are there actually affordable headers for a 318 in a early-a?

there are a bunch of threads all over this site on all the different headers available 4 the early a. u gotta dig around and see what all needs to be done to make them work. i think i have even seen some of the magnum manifolds used as well. its all about what u are willing to do to make it happen captain.

HI folks, its time to present you some update on the dart. Its not been sitting, actually im almost ready to go to the painter for the primer grey.
So far:
the good working slant out of the car, easy job

21112008587.jpg

Stripped the whole car and abraded it. Now working on some plate work en finishing details.
DSC_0630.jpg

Also the inside, naked to the metal. Painted with some nice por 15. Front to rear.
25112008598.jpg

DSC_0635.jpg

For the reserve wheel i took it from my spare parts car (a 64 valiant)
28112008601.jpg

results to:
28112008602.jpg

The cold christmas days where good for the interior, see the results of new bucket seat hoses and panels:
CIMG0299.jpg

CIMG0302.jpg

CIMG0306.jpg

CIMG0305.jpg

Those door panels are really trick. They look great! toolmanmike

Cars looking great,and nice interior.I have bought a 66 Dart 2 months ago,and have been redoing front brakes to disc. also 8 3/4 in rear.V8 will go in at a later time when money isn,t a problem.Keep up the good work!

trim 013.jpg

trim 088.jpg

great ride, you can probably already enjoy your ride, i`ll have to wait a few more 'weeks'
I already got discs in front, don`t actually now if it is original or not..
Anyway i`m still looking for a place where I can get (cheap) a headliner and a new brake booster (or maybe a repair kit, don`t know if these exist.

great ride, you can probably already enjoy your ride, i`ll have to wait a few more 'weeks'
I already got discs in front, don`t actually now if it is original or not..
Anyway i`m still looking for a place where I can get (cheap) a headliner and a new brake booster (or maybe a repair kit, don`t know if these exist.
Post wants in the Car parts wanted Forum.Hope this helps you find what you need!

Hopefully I will, i would love to drive asap, my other car died.... (not the valiant..)

You are really getting after it! Great work. Brings back a lot of memories when I restored a GT.

If the brakes are 4 piston KH units with SBP, they are correct for the '66 models. I rebuilt the master cylinder using parts from Kanter in Boonton, NJ. They may have boosters or booster repair kits.

Good luck with remaining work.

66 Dart GT 001.jpg

66DartGT rear.jpg

-
Back