My Cooling Improvement Project - Part 2

-

"Dart67"

Reaction score
My Cooling Improvement Project - Part 2

I decided to start a new thread to document the changes/mods that I have made since the unfortunate loss of the first radiator.

Here is the link to the first post for those that may not have followed this project:My Cooling Improvement Project (hopefully)

Some of these changes/mods were planned some were not.

While waiting for my new Wizard Cooling 1640-200 Radiator here is what I have done.

First I pulled and checked the thermostat.

I had thought that I had installed a 160* thermostat.

I had actually installed a 180* thermostat.That is what is now in the car.

One thing I do to the thermostat is to drill Six evenly space holes around the edge for trapped air bleeds. This insures that at least one or two holes are open should the gasket slip a little when installed.

Cooling #2 1-1.jpg

The Second thing that I did was to tap the bypass hole in the aluminum water pump housing with a 1/2" x 24 tap.
I then cut about 3/8" off the end of a 1/2" x 24 bolt and drilled a 1/8" air bleed hole in it.
This was installed with thread sealer into the now threaded bypass hole.
I have read that this little mod helps keep water returning to the radiator from mixing with the "cooled" water coming from the radiator.
At this point I see NO ill effects from this mod other that the engine seems to take longer to reach operating temp.

Cooling #2 1-2.jpg

The third thing was to install my "old" 6 blade aluminum air condition water pump with my "Home-Brewed" cavitation plate.
I had used this pump for a number of years and miles and am sure that it has no problems.

Cooling #2 1-3.jpg

The fourth thing was to change the March Pulleys from the 1:1 ratio to the 1.4:1 Air Conditioning pulley ratio.

Cooling #2 1-4.jpg

The pulley sizes for the 1:1 ratio are: Crank 5.875" Water Pump 5.875".
The pulley sizes for the 1.4:1 ratio are: Crank 6.875" Water Pump 4.75".

The fifth thing was to make a frame/shroud for the duel 11" Spall paddle blade electric fans that I had used in the past.

Cooling #2 1-5.jpg

Cooling #2 1-6.jpg

Once the new radiator arrived all I had to do was bolt the fans to the radiator and install the assembly into the car.

Cooling #2 1-7.jpg

Cooling #2 1-8.jpg

Cooling #2 1-9.jpg

Prior to installing the new radiator, I power flushed the engine to make sure there was nothing in it.
The engine flushed clean.
After installing, I filled the cooling system with distilled water and about 4 to 5 ounces of Fleetguard DCA60L.

Cooling #2 1-10.jpg

I have used this product in the past. It proctects the aluminum parts and also helps control cavitation.

The last thing I did was to install a new hood to core support seal.
This seal keeps the engine heat from being drawn back over the top of the core support and into the radiator.

This brings things up to date as far as changes and mods are concerned.

Now for the GOOD PART I HOPE!!!!

I took the car for a short drive on Saturday. The temp was 75*. I drove 2 miles from my house to the main highway and 2 miles back to the shop.
The road is hilly and curvy all the way so I drive it most of the way it first and second gear.
I tried to dog it to build as much heat as I could.
When I got back to the shop the temp gauge showed 160* -165*.
I took the car out again today on the same round trip with the temp at 93* and high humidity.
I stopped for a few minutes at the half way point and idled in gear while I talked with a neighbor.
When I pulled back into the shop, the temp gauge showed just above 180*. The thermostat had just opened.
At the present, I have the fans on a manual on/off switch.
I am driving the car with the F.A.S.T XFI removed. I am using my old MSD Pro Billet distributor and an old 850 Holley carb.
When I am sure that I have the cooling issue under control, I will go back to the F.A.S.T XFI and get it tuned.
I still need to take the car on a longer trip at highway speeds, BUT when I started this project, I could not drive this 4 mile round trip without being in the 250* - 260* range.
At this point I think I am on the right track.

Herb

Last edited by a moderator:
What are the Specs on your motor, and how much initial timing are you running? I am wondering if that fleet guard or something like it can be purchased here in Canada?

Forgot to ask, are you running a 50/50 antifreeze mix? or just distilled water and fleet guard.

What are the Specs on your motor, and how much initial timing are you running? I am wondering if that fleet guard or something like it can be purchased here in Canada?

Fisher,

I bought the Fleetguard at the local Cummins shop.

Here are the specs for the engine.

The idle timing is 18* and the AFR was right around 14.0.

The engine is a 440 MOPAR bored and stroked to 512cu.in.

A well prepped set of Edelbrock Aluminum heads.

Static Compression Ratio of 11.7:1
Dynamic Compression Ratio of 9.6:1

Solid Roller Cam with the following specs:

Valve Lift with 1.6:1 rockers is .696 Intake and .688 Exhaust.

Advertized Duration is 289 Intake and 300 Exhaust.

Lobe Centerline is 108 Intake and 116 Exhaust.

Lobe Seperation of 112.

Intake Lobe is Degreed to 108.

The Intake system is "Home-Brewed". I built and made every thing myself.

The Intake Manifold started out as an Edelbrock 440 Torker which I modified for EFI.

I made the fuel rails from universal rail material with a 5/8" bore.

The throttle body is a 1000cfm MSD 2250.

Herb

Forgot to ask, are you running a 50/50 antifreeze mix? or just distilled water and fleet guard.

Right now I am running just distilled water and fleet guard.

The temps are in the 90's now. When winter comes along, I will either drian the system, or add a little anti freeze.

It does not get that cold here for any length of time.

Herb

Thank you for the feedback! Will check with the local semi shops here for that fleet guard .

I took the car out for a drive today and for the first time since 2005 it stayed COOL.
When I left the house the outside temp was 90*.
I drove 10 miles to the hardware store and the temp gauge showed 165*-170* when I stooped.
I was in the hardware store for about 10 minutes. When I came out and started the car the temp gauge showed 175*-180*.
I drove about a block and a half and made another stop. Still around 180*.
I came out and drove to the gas station to fill up.On the way I had to stop at a red light. The temp went to 185*-190*.
As soon as I started moving, the temp dropped back to 180*. I stopped at the gas station and the temp went to 185*-190*.
I left to goto the auto parts store about a mile farther down the road and the temp dropped back to 180*.
After coming out of the auto parts store, the temp was again at 185*-190* and again dropped to 180* while driving.
I drove the 11 miles home and the temp held between 180*-185* all the way.
The outside temp when I got home was 91.9*.
I THINK I MAY have my cooling problem FIXED.

Since the loss of the radiator I have changed or added the following things.
1 - New Wizard Cooling Radiator
2 - 6 blade Air Conditioning Water Pump with "Home-Brewed" Cavitation Plate
3 - Change Crank and Water Pump Pulleys to 1.4:1 Air Conditioning Ratio
4 - Welded up frame and shroud for Dual 11" Spal Paddle Blade Fans and mounted to new radiator.
5 - Added a new factory hood to radiator core support seal to the AAR SixPac fiberglass hood.
6 - Blocked the holes in both sides of the core support.

When I get time I will now go back to my EFI setup and try to get it tuned.
For now I am a HAPPY CAMPER. I can drive my car and it is not getting HOT.

Herb

I have driven the car a few times now on 85* to 95* days.

While driving the temp holds between 175* and 185*.
When stopped at traffic lights, I have not seen it go over 190* and it will the drop back down when I moving again.

The highest I have seen it so far is 210* after driving for about 15 miles and stopping for fuel and sitting for about 5 minutes. As soon as I started the car and drove about a mile and a half, it dropped to 175*.

Herb

-
Back