My cooling system upgrades for 392 WEDGE (with part numbers).

-

Ottmundr

68 Fastback
Reaction score
Currently in the car I have a little 318. Plans are to build up another 318, with a 4" stroke, and 3.950" bore to take me to 392. With wedge chambers. I'll have a 392 WEDGE I can use to stomp all the new 392 HEMI cars. This 392 is my learning project, and will eventually go into my five year old son's car when he gets his Mopar. I figure that'll happen when he turns 8 or so. :eek:

Griffin Performance Fit Radiators

GRI-8-70038-LS

Fits perfectly in my 68 Barracuda. I had to use a 1/8”NPT plug to stop the radiator overflow(?) outlet which is just below the hot water inlet on the top right. The technician at Griffin Radiator said it was 1/4”NPT, he was wrong. Torque specs for ATF cooling would be nice. I wanted both the coolant inlet and outlet on the passenger side. When I get the big block in the car, (years down the road) I can custom build some tubing from the radiator out side on the right side of the engine compartment to the left of the engine compartment for engine cool water in. The radiator is the only part I did not purchase from Summit, I bought it direct from Griffin. I could have bought it from Summit and saved the shipping. :BangHead:
IMG_20170921_192300.jpg

HPS Silicone Hoses is the name of the company where I bought the silicone hoses and joiner fittings and clamps to feed from the radiator out to the water pump in. They were two 45* sections, with a joiner. Since the outlet side of the radiator was smaller than the water pump inlet, I got a reducing size (1 1/2" to 1 3/4") on one of the hose sections, that allowed me to avoid running one of those rubber hose size adapters that fit over the hose flange and inside the hose. If you go with silicone hoses, get the special and expensive clamps, you really need to crank down on them. I went with blue for color coding. When I do the top water hoses, I will go with red.
IMG_20171112_154600.jpg

Fragola Performance Systems P.T.F.E Hose Assemblies

(2x) FRA-373084 84” hose length -6AN hose size

(1x) FRA-372024 24” hose length -6AN hose size

I could have gotten away with using 72” hoses and either a 12” or 18” hose to run from the radiator out to the cooler in, but longer isn't going to hurt anything, it just required coiling the extra length out of the way under the battery tray. The price difference for these longer hoses was insignificant. I'll clean it up and ziptie them nice and pretty, maybe. :)
coiled.jpg

DEI Heat Sheaths

(2x) DEI-010403 3/4”x36”

Aluminized fiberglass heat sheath to protect coolant lines from where the ATF coolant lines run near to the Doug's D453 headers. (headers aren't in yet)

B&M SuperCooler Oil Coolers

(1x) BMM-70274 transmission cooler, stacked plate style

(1x) BMM-80278 Transmission cooler mounting kit

Torque specs would have been nice for the transmission cooler. I just snugged them tight, but not gorilla strength tight.
IMG_20170926_202629.jpg

IMG_20170926_202612.jpg

Summit Racing® AN to NPT Adapter Fittings

(2x) SUM-220649B -6AN to 1/2”NPT 180* fitting, mounted on trans cooler

(2x) SUM-220646B -6AN to 1/8”NPT 180* fitting, mounted on 727

(2x) SUM-220651B -6AN to 1/4”NPT 90* fitting, mounted on radiator

All the Summit fittings that I have are of good quality and look very nice.
IMG_20170926_202655.jpg

AutoMeter Sport-Comp Analog Gauges

ATM-3552

I haven't wired up the gauge yet, gotta fab up the extra gauge holder to go under the dash. We have so much scrap carbon fiber at my work, I can just snag that and make what I need/want.

Royal Purple Max ATF

(1x) RPO-01320-6

(5x) RPO-01320

I should have just bought two cases of six. With all the extra capacity in the pan, lines, radiator and the trans cooler I am running in the neighborhood of twelve quarts. This is the only ATF I run in my mopar.

Check your torque specs for your coolant line fittings before installing into your transmission. If you overtorque, you can crack your transmission case. Teflon tape was used on all the NPT threads.

Last edited:
-
Back