My Dart made Car Craft...........

-
Congrats, I just love the '68 and'69 Darts

Good looking car! That body style dart is definitely one of the next ones on my list.

I'm just curious, you running bias rear and radial fronts? What's that handle like? Any problems?

I have done this before on some cars. My cars are not corner carvers, they are street and strip so mostly straight line. I have never had any problems running bias on one end and radials on the other.

And I don't normally run that narrow a front tire either. I want some meat up front to counter the much larger meats on the rear should the thing get sideways. But those Continentals are 8 plys which should keep the rim off the pavement in a side skid. Which can happen at the strip. Skinny front tires may be a fraction faster, but I prefer to run a 205 or 215 front tire for control.

I also quit running spools on the street for the same reason. A tight Sure-grip may give up a little bit of 60' time, but won't plow the front straight ahead as bad as a spool if the rear gets out too much.

Sorry, just read the article which answered many of my questions. Anything you could add? Thanks.

I would try to answer anything specific that you would want to know. I run 8 3/4 with Sure-Grips in all my street cars. My Cuda is a street car that gets it's share of track time and has a 500" Wedge in it. 1.5 60 foot times are hard on the rear, but I usually get 4 or 5 years of hard use out of a ring and pinion.

If the Dart were going to see much track time, I would have went with a Dana 60 at that torque level. But it has only made 2 passes and I really peddled it then. It is really a show and driver, not a race car.

Dom, I have only made 2 passes with the car, just playin' around. No prep, no tuning and I really peddled it out. It still spun through 1st and I had to lift a couple of times in 2nd. It ran a 7.02 @107.

It is a ball to drive on the street. The thing idles about like a stock 426, but it pulls like a freight train from 3,500 to 7,000. Believe it or not, I haven't done any tuning on the carbs, they are OOTB Holley blower 950s. And are fat as he!!. There is a lot of power left in tuning. But I don't intend to do any more tuning than the couple of hours of dyno time we did to set the timing and boost levels and to monitor the detonation point.

I am busy building a 540 Hemi and 518 for the Cuda. When I get it together, I plan to dyno it with the 1050 that is on the 500 wedge that is in the car now. If the 540 needs more carb than the 1050 (I think it will) we'll hook up and build an 1150 or 1250 for it.

Dom, I have only made 2 passes with the car, just playin' around. No prep, no tuning and I really peddled it out. It still spun through 1st and I had to lift a couple of times in 2nd. It ran a 7.02 @107.

It is a ball to drive on the street. The thing idles about like a stock 426, but it pulls like a freight train from 3,500 to 7,000. Believe it or not, I haven't done any tuning on the carbs, they are OOTB Holley blower 950s. And are fat as he!!. There is a lot of power left in tuning. But I don't intend to do any more tuning than the couple of hours of dyno time we did to set the timing and boost levels and to monitor the detonation point.

I am busy building a 540 Hemi and 518 for the Cuda. When I get it together, I plan to dyno it with the 1050 that is on the 500 wedge that is in the car now. If the 540 needs more carb than the 1050 (I think it will) we'll hook up and build an 1150 or 1250 for it.

NICE...............Ya, you`ll get the tune right on the blower carbs and you know what to do w/ALL of the circuits so good luck man and I think the 1150 might serve ya better on the 540 unless it`s an all out race piece but not always the case and no two combos are alike........

I have done this before on some cars. My cars are not corner carvers, they are street and strip so mostly straight line. I have never had any problems running bias on one end and radials on the other.

And I don't normally run that narrow a front tire either. I want some meat up front to counter the much larger meats on the rear should the thing get sideways. But those Continentals are 8 plys which should keep the rim off the pavement in a side skid. Which can happen at the strip. Skinny front tires may be a fraction faster, but I prefer to run a 205 or 215 front tire for control.

I also quit running spools on the street for the same reason. A tight Sure-grip may give up a little bit of 60' time, but won't plow the front straight ahead as bad as a spool if the rear gets out too much.

That's awesome to hear. I plan on running radial on the street but would love a set of hoosiers for the track and occasional fri/sat night when I feel like feeding the car some rice.

Awesome car again man looks good!

Was and still is for sale. I just don't have a good place to store the car since I don't drive it a lot. Mice have become a nightmare in my building the last few years and they can wreak havoc with a car like this that sets a lot. So, it's gotta go. At this stage of my life I am going to get down to 1 car; my 70 Cuda which is getting a new 540 Hemi and 518 OD tranny as we speak.

Very Nice 68 and a great article too..

Hope she finds a good home..

Bruce

-
Back