my dillema

-

tet68

Reaction score
I have a 68 69 340 long block an a body 833 4 speed and all the stuff to do a 4 speed conversion but the retainer bearing hole in bell housing is too small and suspect the flywheel is wrong engine is not froze how can I tell if this stuff is good to go as the previous owner told we it was or find someone more knowladgble than me to eye ball it will 68 69 years have a different casting # I really made a lot of progress on this build in 2 months but now fuel brake electrical has slowed me down but
DSCN0416 (1).JPG
would like to finish over the winter

I have a 68 69 340 long block an a body 833 4 speed and all the stuff to do a 4 speed conversion but the retainer bearing hole in bell housing is too small and suspect the flywheel is wrong engine is not froze how can I tell if this stuff is good to go as the previous owner told we it was or find someone more knowladgble than me to eye ball it will 68 69 years have a different casting # I really made a lot of progress on this build in 2 months but now fuel brake electrical has slowed me down butView attachment 1715085426 would like to finish over the winter

questions:

Why do you suspect the flywheel is wrong?

What size bearing retainer is your 4 speed?

so whats the dilemma?

leave the 340 in the dart and buy a roller 68 notchback to drop the 383 in

think mcfly, think
:poke:

so whats the dilemma?

think mcfly, think

Did I miss something here? I don't see where the OP even mentioned a 383....

To the OP - can you have the bearing retainer opening enlarged to accept the 833 you have?

Did I miss something here? I don't see where the OP even mentioned a 383....

To the OP - can you have the bearing retainer opening enlarged to accept the 833 you have?

nope, i read about the 833 4 speed before i i had my first cup of coffee (im still only halfway through it) and i read 383

my bad...but its still a good idea to buy notch

probably need the aid of a machinist to determine the feasibility of enlarging retainer hole with the shaft in the trans probably need calipers to determine size of retainer bearing

so whats the dilemma?

think mcfly, think
actually know where a notch is but out of curiosty why a notch why not a fastback

Let's see a picture of this 4 speed. Maybe the 833 is actually an overdrive unit (larger input housing) and no that won't fit the hole.

I hate to be a problem here but you have some nice cars. Get them Off of cement blocks so you can live to enjoy them. I had a friend die because the blocks crushed and the car fell on him. Sorry but I get nervous when I see them being used.

I hate to be a problem here but you have some nice cars. Get them Off of cement blocks so you can live to enjoy them. I had a friend die because the blocks crushed and the car fell on him. Sorry but I get nervous when I see them being used.

agreed, I lost a friend that way as well.

theres always a floor jack under k frame &rear end housing if I go under car in addition to the blocks

1st picture 833 OD unit, 2nd picture 833 4 speed. Note input housing size. If you do have an OD unit, your front shift arm is on upside down.
100_1240.JPG
100_1241.JPG

Last edited:
so measure the opening on the bell housing if it is 4.8" you can get a bearing retainer for the overdrive trany or you can have a machinist turn down the one you have.
If it is the smaller one 4.3xx you will need different bell housing or have bell housing opened up.

-
Back