My Employer sucks!

-
How is the pay? As you go over 40 grand a year around here you also have to sacrifice. It is known as pay increases so does your time away from your family.

I wish I felt your pain, but I'm probably more in line with those who'll tell you to "be thankful for what you've got". I do wish to offer you one piece of advice although it may not be what you want to hear (and I'm pretty good at not telling people what they want to hear).

QUIT BASHING YOUR EMPLOYER!!! Not just because you have a job and others don't. Because it really reflects badly on you! It's a matter of professionalism and integrity. Negative attitudes can quickly destroy a company, and any employer worth anything knows this. A person who talks bad about their job at work is a negative POS. A person who talks bad about their job everywhere but at work is a dishonest negative POS. And it really boils down to honesty. If your boss asked you right now how you felt would you say what you've said on these forums? If not it's either because it's not how you really feel and you're lying to us, or you really feel this way any you're lying to your boss. If you're willing to lie about how you feel about your job, what else are you willing to lie about at your job? Any employer worth anything thinks about this constantly. Ever heard the old saying "A company is only as good as it's employees"? Ever wonder if some companies don't set stuff like this up so they can see who bitches about it? Ever wonder if employers scan internet forums or other social media sites to see what their employees are doing? (Hint: people get trained to do this)

So I suggest you take a long hard look. If this job bothers you so much, you owe it to yourself and the company to move on. Better you should take the initiative and leave on your own terms. Any company who would employ somebody with such a negative attitude isn't worth working for, and no place worth working for would hire an employee who just got sacked for whining and complaining about the last place they worked (ever wonder why "Reason for leaving" is on job applications?).

As for the military, it's an all volunteer force. Saying "IF I WERE CALLED UPON TO DEFEND THE FREEDOMS THAT AMERICANS ENJOY, I WOULD LAY MY LIFE ON THE LINE TO DEFEND IT!" is easy enough, but have you called a recruiter?

I'd look at it as adding new skill-sets to your career on the company's dime. Training isn't cheap, especially when travel is involved. Look ahead, what you take away from this trip will help you down the road, both professionally and personally. Be positive and remember, being arrogant only damages your character.

you guys are all hung up on the word "vacation"....... i have 1 hr every day that is not supervised. they have scheduled vans to take us to and from the functions. i guess after 11pm i am free to do what i want. but we start the next day at 7 am. there will be no sight seeing, no exploring the town or eating at local restaurants. I have to share a room with a co-worker and am going to miss a holiday with my family. as for the comment about the military....... IF I WERE CALLED UPON TO DEFEND THE FREEDOMS THAT AMERICANS ENJOY, I WOULD LAY MY LIFE ON THE LINE TO DEFEND IT! The company i work for is a small fabrication shop that was facing bankruptcy several years prior to my employment and was bought out by a very large retail business in the same industry. I love my job and the people i work with on a day to day basis but the company that owns us and that is putting on the meeting treat our branch like the red headed step children. we are all blue collar workers that take pride in our work. our owner company is mostly white collar pen pushers that only care about profits and the bottom line. this is not a vacation. this is the company patting themselves on the back and making us watch. you would have to see the work place dynamic and the way things operate to understand. I do not count on my overtime to pay my bills. that is what i fund my dart with. i make enough to pay the household bills and put some money aside for savings. my wife has agreed that my overtime can be used as i please. i have a very tight knit family and when i took this job it was and for the most part is a monday-friday job that allows me to see my family. i have been blessed with a job that lets me use my hands and my mind to do things i enjoy doing but i do feel that an entire week over a holiday weekend is a burden on a family man. to those that dont agree, that is your opinion. i happen to have a family that i cherish the time i spend with.

so how old are you anyway? younggun screen name make me think your 17-20 maybe, but you one reply makes me think your older.

looks like you have two choices here..

1) quit and find another job.

2) stop crying about being gone for a week and being away from the family for a weekend on a so called holiday that shouldn't really be a holiday anyway. it is what it is.. it only happens every 5 years so deal with it...

life isn't fair (not that your being mistreated anyway in this case), whats better for your family? you being away from them for a week or so or you not having a job to pay the bills? you gotta do what you gotta do to support the family.

my other question is since having the weekend off to spend time with the family and all is so important. how much time do you actually spend with them while working on your car? i know wiring a car is very time consuming and you really don't need interrupted while doing so. wheres the family then?

you guys are all hung up on the word "vacation"....... i have 1 hr every day that is not supervised. they have scheduled vans to take us to and from the functions. i guess after 11pm i am free to do what i want. but we start the next day at 7 am. there will be no sight seeing, no exploring the town or eating at local restaurants. I have to share a room with a co-worker and am going to miss a holiday with my family. as for the comment about the military....... IF I WERE CALLED UPON TO DEFEND THE FREEDOMS THAT AMERICANS ENJOY, I WOULD LAY MY LIFE ON THE LINE TO DEFEND IT! The company i work for is a small fabrication shop that was facing bankruptcy several years prior to my employment and was bought out by a very large retail business in the same industry. I love my job and the people i work with on a day to day basis but the company that owns us and that is putting on the meeting treat our branch like the red headed step children. we are all blue collar workers that take pride in our work. our owner company is mostly white collar pen pushers that only care about profits and the bottom line. this is not a vacation. this is the company patting themselves on the back and making us watch. you would have to see the work place dynamic and the way things operate to understand. I do not count on my overtime to pay my bills. that is what i fund my dart with. i make enough to pay the household bills and put some money aside for savings. my wife has agreed that my overtime can be used as i please. i have a very tight knit family and when i took this job it was and for the most part is a monday-friday job that allows me to see my family. i have been blessed with a job that lets me use my hands and my mind to do things i enjoy doing but i do feel that an entire week over a holiday weekend is a burden on a family man. to those that dont agree, that is your opinion. i happen to have a family that i cherish the time i spend with.

Ok i read this twice here is my take your exactily right it ain't a vacation it's a company meeting [dog and pony show] probly to redirect a point of how the mother company wants things done. I spent 10 years in the U.S.A.F. you go where,when,how they tell you no excuses you just go,you could be awoken at two in the morning go to base spend the next 14 hours prepairing the aircraft and then flying to god knows where after that once you get there you gotta prepare the location recover the aircraft fix them and then maybe you can get some food an sleep after many hours of work then back at it in 12 hours or less,i have spent many weeks in tents in the desert in the heat or traveling all over the world missed every birthday,christmas,anniversary,holiday with my famly along with every other military person past and present. So suck it up big boy one week ain't gonna kill you. As you saw in my last post we got f--ked when the economy tanked and i'm just now recovering slowly,i have not worked a full 40 hour week since August [i have to put in vacation hours to make 40] there goes my vacation time. You can get some things for your project i have not bought nothing but fuel/oil for mine for 5 years. Your bitching to the wrong group we all have been there done that there are plenty of us that don't like our jobs/bosses/pay ect. but we do what we gotta do bitching just makes it more misrible,the alternative is much worse i have been homeless,unemployed very depressing and i swore it would never happen again. Damn man just roll with it you got your whole life ahead of you!!!!

Ok i read this twice here is my take your exactily right it ain't a vacation it's a company meeting [dog and pony show] probly to redirect a point of how the mother company wants things done. I spent 10 years in the U.S.A.F. you go where,when,how they tell you no excuses you just go,you could be awoken at two in the morning go to base spend the next 14 hours prepairing the aircraft and then flying to god knows where after that once you get there you gotta prepare the location recover the aircraft fix them and then maybe you can get some food an sleep after many hours of work then back at it in 12 hours or less,i have spent many weeks in tents in the desert in the heat or traveling all over the world missed every birthday,christmas,anniversary,holiday with my famly along with every other military person past and present. So suck it up big boy one week ain't gonna kill you. As you saw in my last post we got f--ked when the economy tanked and i'm just now recovering slowly,i have not worked a full 40 hour week since August [i have to put in vacation hours to make 40] there goes my vacation time. You can get some things for your project i have not bought nothing but fuel/oil for mine for 5 years. Your bitching to the wrong group we all have been there done that there are plenty of us that don't like our jobs/bosses/pay ect. but we do what we gotta do bitching just makes it more misrible,the alternative is much worse i have been homeless,unemployed very depressing and i swore it would never happen again. Damn man just roll with it you got your whole life ahead of you!!!!

Well said. To the o.p.: when dozens of people are all trying to tell you the same thing...maybe their opinion has some validity.

I understand this is JUST a rant, and I know how you feel. My company sends me on junkets all the time, and I'm on salary too. Having said that, I love my job, and I won't complain. (plus, I hit the golf courses, and expense it) :D

Thanks goldfish65. Every company [even some small busnesses] are only concerned with profit now a days, long gone are busnesses [there are still a few but far between] that put the employees needs and wants first - pensions,health insurance[paid for the employee],401k mathcing dollar for dollar,comp days and in some cases vacation have fallen to the wayside. I was raised oldschool loyality to a company/job will bring you up the ladder to a better life [happy employee better production/attude/quality] but the new school management ideals are spend as little as possible to get the most profit and due to our bad economy they can do whatever they want and get away with it because there are 100s of folks to replace YOU!!!! you see on the news everyday a busness has openings and thousands turn out to fill out applications so if you got a job best hang on to it [no matter how much you dislike it]. I really feel sorry for those folks in our country that have great skills and can't find work. I don't feel sorry for those too lazy or won't take a job cause they want more pay. On the other hand young gun you could quit and join the masses of lazy folks whom think the government [us working tax payers] should support them cause they think it's owed to them [somehow?].

I worked over 20 years for Uncle Sam and I did a lot of TDY's where I had to travel on the weekends with not compensation for it. I was traveling 2 to 3 weeks a month for the last 15 years I worked. Retired now.

spend as little as possible to get the most profit and due to our bad economy they can do whatever they want and get away with it because there are 100s of folks to replace YOU!!!!

the economy thing is such a joke too. all it really is, is a way to take any power an employee had away and give it all to the employer. now they can pay squat and still have a line of people that want to work for crap money/benefits.. there is no doubt in my mind that this bad economy was carefully planned.

..I do not count on my overtime to pay my bills. that is what i fund my dart with..... my wife has agreed that my overtime can be used as i please....

Yes, my wife calls that O/T to pay for my hobby "time away from the family" too....Have fun bowling in Chi-town, bundle up!

the economy thing is such a joke too. all it really is, is a way to take any power an employee had away and give it all to the employer. now they can pay squat and still have a line of people that want to work for crap money/benefits.. there is no doubt in my mind that this bad economy was carefully planned.

I argee with you on this and the economy is not the only thing that [our government] planned. They are removing [or trying to] all that is part of being free in this country [gun control legislation,getting rid of unions], but they'll get themselves a raise in no time flat.

I argee with you on this and the economy is not the only thing that [our government] planned. They are removing [or trying to] all that is part of being free in this country [gun control legislation,getting rid of unions], but they'll get themselves a raise in no time flat.

Gun control yes, doing away with unions just the opposite and they already gave themselves raises effective March, 2013.

To the OP, having to do this once every 5 years, really? A problem, really? But to be fair, I probably wouldn't like it much either, but if you make decent money and have benefits and more importantly A JOB, I think I could deal with it.

We used to have sales/service meetings every year [i'm in the marine industry-boat trailer manufacturing] where the sales staff/management/service personell got together to air out differences and come up with procedures that everyone could live with. Yes we did not have to travel anywhere but i looked forward to it to get some feedback,learn better ways of communicating and DINNER that evening.

Gun control yes, doing away with unions just the opposite and they already gave themselves raises effective March, 2013.

To the OP, having to do this once every 5 years, really? A problem, really? But to be fair, I probably wouldn't like it much either, but if you make decent money and have benefits and more importantly A JOB, I think I could deal with it.[/QUOTE

I disagree if the government could abolish unions they would they are [what's left of them] the only help employees have. I personally have never belonged to a union however i worked contract [aircraft maintance] in a union shop which at the time i thought was a PIA everyone has a specific job and nothing seems to get done in a timely manner,that was my opinion of it being from a right to work state we did everything so much quicker.I suppose it depends where your from.

Did you ever consider that this might be your company's way of finding out who is commited to them for promotion or raises?

Did you ever consider that this might be your company's way of finding out who is commited to them for promotion or raises?
BINGO!!Good way to weed out the Sourpusses.LOL Keep a smile on your face the whole time your there,whether you like it or not.Or you could just not go,quit and find another job.Sucks but it,s reality.

The other alternative could be they are downsizeing and it's decision time, move to a different location or be left behind. I have heard of these types of meetings and they drop the hammer [some folks i have known had to get home on their own cause they coulden't move] morgage,kids in school,finances ect no ****.

After reading this thread I agree you need to just be happy you have a job and do whatever it takes to hold on to that job. If my situation does not change soon I will do as the government wants me to do and shut my business down due to no work and go to the local welfare office and plead for some Obama bucks. Isn't this what this government wants to do to ALL small businesses? Hey I might as well stand in line and hope to get a handout rather than actually keep working for a living as I have always done since I started a paper route at age 10.

well i don't think i will be able to make any of you understand. The common reply seems to be that i am lucky to have a job. well for what they pay me and the hours i work (362 hrs over time this year) and the things i have done for the company i feel justified to be bent over giving up two weekends and a holiday with my wife and family and not being compensated financially. everyone also says to enjoy the trip and see the city. Id love to but they have me taking courses from the time my plane lands on sat. morning until 11 pm everynight doing team building until my plan leaves the next sat. morning. they are not giving us any free time to see the city. and if i were able to go out on the town who has money to spend on cab fare and that sort of thing 4 days after christmas. not to mention the fact that i have to pay $25 ea for my checked luggage both ways. that is a total of $100. I have been supporting my family on my check along for the last 6 months while my wife gets treatment for her medical issues.

Supporting your family should be all the reason you need to be doing it.

$100 for two bags for one week? Seems a bit much to me, but did you ask about a per diem to cover some of the expenses if you have to travel like a pop star?

Don't kid yourself that your co-workers can't see your disdain for them and the company...

Look at this as an advantage! Learn all you can and network with others!

After reading this thread I agree you need to just be happy you have a job and do whatever it takes to hold on to that job. If my situation does not change soon I will do as the government wants me to do and shut my business down due to no work and go to the local welfare office and plead for some Obama bucks. Isn't this what this government wants to do to ALL small businesses? Hey I might as well stand in line and hope to get a handout rather than actually keep working for a living as I have always done since I started a paper route at age 10.
Not to sure on how well assistance pays to a legit person that needs it. It could turn into a ramen noodle night every night.

I'm surounded by folks that depend on the government [tax payers] to live it's their job. My neighbors are on disability [husband] afdc,welfare,food stamps,wic [daughter just had a kid tells them "don't know who the daddy is" boyfriend lives there too] part time job i think [wife-volenteers for the police dept. while hubby and his buddys smoke dope all day]food stamps,welfare [second daughter lives with her unemployed boyfriend and disabled dad] These folks have had 5 cars since they have been here shop at Publix [kinda expensive grocery] got marlboro smokes,dope,computers,cable tv ect. I work my *** off got a used truck,shop at walmart or aldies live payday to payday with no extras. They don't have great stuff but they have as much as i have and have not worked a day to earn it. I tried to get medicade/care? for my wife and was turned down, ain't that some crap in order to get anything from the government you can't be trying to help yourself i suppose.Is that their plan get everyone on assistance to prepair for socialism?

Seems as though that is what it is coming to. I was talking to a friend of mine today and his wife who works for the State here in NC and guess what she said when I told her that I may be forced into applying for entitlements..... "They will more than likely deny you any assistance due to the fact you earned too much this past year" So I mentioned to her I cannot receive unemployment due to being self employed. She said.
"You are up a creek without a paddle then"......

-
Back