my first 742 case rebuild, need alittle advice please

-
OK so I went from 90 then to 95 both posted here then 100 , it got better so I went to 103 and that is where these pics are at...what do you think? Kepp going or stop?

20170219_122957.jpg

20170219_123058.jpg

Where are you setting the backlash at?

Pattern is inconsistent.

Contact height (heal to toe) looks decent but it needs to move closer the center.

If the 4 teeth down low to the right are your latest pattern then it looks better. You may want to clean everything up and with some lacquer thinner or something and show the pattern again.

Last edited:
I meant to ask but, on this Richmond pinion, what were the markings on the face of the gear end? Just curious. It looks like the pinion is still too far in the case.

This 99 thou and the number on the pinion head was -0 and there was a 41 I think part of my problem was applying the paint so this pattern is more visable but I need to reduce more shim

20170219_164729.jpg

This is 85 thou there isn't any diff from 105 to 100 to 95 to 90 to 85 the pattern seems to stay at the bottom?

View attachment 1715019800

this is what you are up against -- you finally stated that these were used gears -- NOT NEW as stated in you first post -- so unless they were set up correctly the first time out of the box achieving a good drive pattern will be difficult.
--- i think with the markings you stated these are a factory gear set used and abused over the years.
---from what you are showing with your shim changes you will not achieve a good pattern with these gears,,so you will have to make and decision to use them or trash them.
--- i see from your post-- yesterday at 10:11 pm--- it shows about the best drive pattern you will probably get -- the pattern does show a broad contact across the tooth and slightly up from the toe end of the tooth ,,, so take a chance and set them using that shim and hope for the best.

John your right I re-read my origanal post I did say new what I guess I meant to say was different than origanal although the reason I purchased them was they look immaculate I have seen many used gears that indeed look worn these were in the original box and look as new the po said very little hours as he simply changed to a different ratio I posted a close up pic of the cut anyway I appreciate what your telling me that maybe they just already have an established pattern in which case I may just have to run the best pattern I can and I get that but what I don't understand is why the pattern don't move up and down the tooth with each shim change I make?

20170220_071517.jpg

John your right I re-read my origanal post I did say new what I guess I meant to say was different than origanal although the reason I purchased them was they look immaculate I have seen many used gears that indeed look worn these were in the original box and look as new the po said very little hours as he simply changed to a different ratio I posted a close up pic of the cut anyway I appreciate what your telling me that maybe they just already have an established pattern in which case I may just have to run the best pattern I can and I get that but what I don't understand is why the pattern don't move up and down the tooth with each shim change I make?

View attachment 1715019894

the gears had been run enough that they have established the patterns you are getting -- and there is no hope of changing that --- i have had people bring me gears to set up with similar issues and my best advice to them was to buy new gears if they wanted a good diff ..

like i said the one pattern you got in the pic in your post @10:11 yesterday is probably your best shot for these gears.

I here what your saying but at this point I have nothing to lose so I guess I will run them and see what I got if there noisy I will get rid of them if there not I win! Although when I went back and looked at all my photos I think the 95 shim pattern looked OK what was in my last photo you seen last night was 75 you said most 742 cases use 90 should I go back to that?

Although I do agree the last pattern is the best looking it seems the highest off the bottom so I guess I will set my pinion pre-loaded and see what I got thanks for the help through this painful exercise lol

Ahhh..this is frustrating well it seems there is three choices here either run the last pattern or buy new gears or try again, I really don't want to discard these gears and honestly they look " as new " I could be wrong but really believe I can get these right or better I know some will dis-agree but my time is free so I'm going to try again with less shim to dry to move the pattern up and I guess if it doesn't work I'll be buying new gears.:BangHead:

May I inquire how You came about this case, & why it was empty?

So the reason I have this case is I had a smaller case open rear in my housing I came across these gears and then another fellow I new had a 742 case he was saving for a project he never got to so he sold me the case now I had what I needed to build what I think will be a strong unit ...742 case 323 gear, sure grip center, just didn't think it would be such a haste lol any way hear are the pinion pics.

20170221_064931.jpg

20170221_064919.jpg

20170221_064908.jpg

i see by the pics these are original 3.23 Chrysler gears -- not Richmond as you were told --- so they probably have been used/abused for up to 100,000 + miles -- and installed possibly in several different cases over the years with bad results.

over the years i have bought several original factory set up center sections with 3.23 gears ,, with similar mileage i would imagine and the gear patterns were excellent after the rebuilds-

i like the effort you have made but i think you should pass on the 3.23 and just buy a new gear

Well John, I believe you are right, just after I took the last pics I noticed the part number seemed to be a Chrysler number, as mentioned before this was my first gear case rebuild so lots of learning here, and although i know and trust the person I got the 742 case from, I did not now the person I got the gear set from and trusted what was said was true, also I can be a bit stubborn and failed to see why I couldn't get a good pattern on gears that "look" good to me, but after numerous attempts to get it right it appears I wont, so for now I think I am just going to set them up to what was my best pattern at about 70 thou, so I can put it back in the housing and roll it around the shop, and then figure out what to go with, I got some big veterinarian bills coming at me right now for a sick dog so new gears will have to go on hold for a bit, but thanks for all your and others who posted here help, but looking at your rebuild photo's you have done many of these before, what brand of gears do you prefer?

-
Back