my frustration! left? handed lug nuts

-

connerray

Reaction score
Got me some wheels that i m going to put on duster, so I started to loosen the lugs on my car well an hr later I'm pissed. There not budging one damn bit. I keep at and keep at it, I'm sweating like a pig (100° here in Arkansas and high humidity) I think, well mabey I'll try to turn them as if I was going to tight in them to mabey help brake them loose and so I give them a good nudge and wala , there left? handed threads. All this time I'm turning them the wrong damn way!:banghead:
Any one els had this "problem" I don't think I have ever seen a backwards lug nut :bs:

That's why there is an L on the end of the studs. :D

I didn't pay any attention to it.... guess I need to start
But there about to be changed cause I stripped one and broke another

Well years ago a friend (GM guy) calls me and says "Don't I have an electric impact?"

"Why?"

"I have a front wheel and drum/ hub, can't get the wheel off."

"Com'on out."

Now it's ?? 20 miles I guess round trip, maybe more, so out he comes, takes it out of the rig and throws it on the ground

"Mopar?"

"How'd ya know?"

"I can tell by LOOKING. Which side of the car'zzzzz it off of?"

This long slow sad dark look starts to come over his face. You can hear his *** start to pucker.............................

(11 miles "as the crow", LOL)

Attachments

• miles.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 350
So you discovered something. Be thankful you wasn't on the side of the interstate discovering.
Next step should be Google the history of them and why they are left handed, Even if you do decide to replace all 10 Ls with Rs you can learn from it.
Cheers

One more reason to buy a factory service manual. And read it.

An F250 with a Dana 70 rear end has them too.
I was at NTB one time getting new rubber and heard the impact running and running.
It dawned on me and I jumped up from the waiting room and went and told the tire guy.
He didn't realize it.
So don't feel bad.

Yes they do if there pre 1973. they went to all right in 73...You will have to put right studs and nuts I just tried to get left ones and was told they weren't avalable anymore through the local part stores. If they were they would probably cost alot more. And they had them in stock and all... So for 20 bucks it s done...Bill:shock:

I have one wheel with LH threads. I need to get those studs replaced but the brake drum is like pressed on them also.

All the other lugs are right handed so I'm assuming the front drivers have Ben changed already?
And I now have a lug stud/bolt that is spinning. Any tips or tricks that don't involve tack weld I g?

lucky you didn't break the lugs... when i was young and ran into the left handed threads i put a cheater bar on and broke those babies right off.. did two before i checked the opposite direction..lol

lucky you didn't break the lugs... when i was young and ran into the left handed threads i put a cheater bar on and broke those babies right off.. did two before i checked the opposite direction..lol

I did brake one and stripped another :|

I had a mechanic break one of mine on the front of my car puttin tires on it... They didn't bother telling me and I didn't notice till later when cleaning the tire.. At that point I couldt go asking them to pay for new ones ��

All mopars older then 1970 used left and right hand threads on the wheel studs. Drivers side had right hand and the passenger side left and threads.

Perhaps your front drums have been swapped side to side, you just might find the L/H thread ones on the front right.......

Their reasoning for it sounded logical, even though incorrect. Their engineers reckoned that the forward rotation of the wheels would loosen the left hand ide lug nuts over time. They figured that by making the driver; side lug nuts left hand thread that would solve the problem. But since the lug nuts seat on the wheel at a matched angle, it is that angle that keeps them tight.

Why buy a manual when I have you guys :D

I remember my 1st experience with lest hand threaded lugs...
I had a '68 Coronet done like a Super Bee clone, and really my 1st real muscle car. I was still living at home and my Dad was my go to for anything.
Same deal, busting my but trying to get it loose, had to get Dad.
Yep, the pre-internet days :D

It's funny to think how much I hit the 'net for!

-
Back