My, how things can snowball!!!.....

-

cosgig

MoBro Inc.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Soooo, I finally decided to do something about the trans leak in my GTX!! Only going on about 5 years now, several pan and gasket changes, a new set of lines, an "O" ring on the dipstick tube and still leaking! Must be the shifter pivot seal!! No problem my buddy says..."ill help and we"ll get it done, and we can put in that new converter you've been putting off also"!! Sweet, that is until...

The trans has to come out cause it won't go back enough to clear getting the converter out!! Why?..oh, because of the "X" pipe!! Ok, drop the exhaust, its hitting on the floor anyway from twisting because of all the burnouts we do!! Oops, trans is wider than the space between the pipes, which are pinned in between the torsion bars!! Ok, we get the clearance by dropping ALL of the exhaust and slide the trans back. It works!!!...get the converter out and decide to replace the pivot seal in place, take the valve body out and uh oh!!!...not a bit of friction surface on the band!! Now the trans HAS to come out, AND be rebuilt!!

Final tally?? One pivot seal=one new trans mount, rebuild the trans, new U-joints, exhaust gaskets, fluid, oh and the starter is the original to the car so a new mini starter!! Cost??...about $600 in parts!!! Now that's an expensive seal!! Lucky I got the converter for $25.00 or I'd be singing about the price of that also!!

Ok, rant over, wallet empty, and another week before I can pick up that sweet little 74 Dart parts car for y'all!! Sigh!!!

I just started budgeting for a 750% increase in what I thought it would cost to fix part whatever. I feel like a isaved omoney when I only spend 400% more than I originally thought... :-/

Well on the bright side, you should have a spiffy rebuilt Thermoquad by weeks end. Sorry it has taken so long. Maybe that'll brighten things up a little.

Well on the bright side, you should have a spiffy rebuilt Thermoquad by weeks end. Sorry it has taken so long. Maybe that'll brighten things up a little.

Oh sure Rob, there you go looking on the bright side again and shining some sunny sun on my rainy day parade!!!!LOL!!

I knew the carb was in good hands and you would send it along when things got better for you! I wasn't worried one bit!!

I'm actually glad that I'm rebuilding the trans now while its out!! I can't see dropping all this stuff out again in a couple months when the bands are metal to metal! And it still had the stock converter in it that was painted with the motor when they were both new, so it was time for a change there too!! Just didn't want to spend the $$ right now, but as said above, that's my 400% overage and all part of owning our beloved beasts!!

Thanks all for letting me whine!! Back to the garage, Geof

Well all, here's the final update on my little project here. Got the trans back, put the converter in, got it all up and in place, and then.....

The bolt pattern on the new converter is only 10" and the stock flex plate is 11"!!! Great, and this is Sunday morning. So, a call to a fellow Mopar buddy in town yields me a B&M flex and back on the project. Finished it all up, took it out for its maiden voyage and boy does it pull hard now!!! All worth it in the end!!

Ah, but the karma gods wern't done just yet!! Backing it out to bring it home and my buddy is going to follow me and I notice that he can't get his garage door closed. The damn tension cable jumped the wheel and wound itself tight on the spring bar!! Another hour fixing that and now I'm done!!!

Next time I'm praying to the karma gods BEFORE the job starts!!! Geof

Soooo, I finally decided to do something about the trans leak in my GTX!! Only going on about 5 years now, several pan and gasket changes, a new set of lines, an "O" ring on the dipstick tube and still leaking! Must be the shifter pivot seal!! No problem my buddy says..."ill help and we"ll get it done, and we can put in that new converter you've been putting off also"!! Sweet, that is until...

The trans has to come out cause it won't go back enough to clear getting the converter out!! Why?..oh, because of the "X" pipe!! Ok, drop the exhaust, its hitting on the floor anyway from twisting because of all the burnouts we do!! Oops, trans is wider than the space between the pipes, which are pinned in between the torsion bars!! Ok, we get the clearance by dropping ALL of the exhaust and slide the trans back. It works!!!...get the converter out and decide to replace the pivot seal in place, take the valve body out and uh oh!!!...not a bit of friction surface on the band!! Now the trans HAS to come out, AND be rebuilt!!

Final tally?? One pivot seal=one new trans mount, rebuild the trans, new U-joints, exhaust gaskets, fluid, oh and the starter is the original to the car so a new mini starter!! Cost??...about $600 in parts!!! Now that's an expensive seal!! Lucky I got the converter for $25.00 or I'd be singing about the price of that also!!

Ok, rant over, wallet empty, and another week before I can pick up that sweet little 74 Dart parts car for y'all!! Sigh!!!

and it still leaks?hehe

Geof,
Are we having fun yet.
Jeff

yup.....I can relate .....its strange how a dash bezel re-do in my 68 dart turned into a whole dash swap which led to a interior make over which led to the whole car getting stripped for paint and 9 months later and its still off the road while I been driving a different dart which was supposed to get worked on when the 68 was on the road and now the tables are turned and purse is empty and parts are piled from one end of the garage to the other....and its all getting pushed aside in favor of "new arrival" projects which should have never been started in the first place....and the 68 dart dash still is not together :sad7:

wow...has that much time really past.... dang, I think im depressed now :D

-
Back