My M-Code Cuda is finally getting worked on

-
more pics from craig today.. march 21st....

isn't it amazing how much work can be accomplished on a car when someone is working on it "full-time", five days a week?

21 march 17 floor welds.jpg

21 march 17 floor welds 2.jpg

21 march 17 floor welds 3.jpg

21 march 17 floor welds 4.jpg

21 march 17 outer drivers quarter panel.jpg

21 march 17 pass quarter panel.jpg

well... the car is suppose to be finished by the end of this week or the first of next week.

tonight stephen hopkins who has been working on the car sent me some additional status pics. it is amazing how AMD has been able to completely cut out all the drag racing mods and weld back in all the original OEM structures and designs. i could not have done this rebuild without buying the complete body shell that AMD used to rebuild this car... and of course, AMD has factory style spot welding machines and frame jigs to make sure everything went on in the right place. lots and lots of work....

here's the recent pics..

april 10 rear clip drivers side.jpg

april 10 trunk and tail section.jpg

april 10 passenger trunk area.jpg

april 10 driver rear trunk.jpg

april 10 drivers tail light and quarter.jpg

april 10 passenger tail light quarter.jpg

april 10 passenger quarter.jpg

april 10 driver quarter.jpg

april 10 passenger door and quarter.jpg

well... aprill 22nd... it's a great day!!

craig from AMD just sent me an email and they have finished my 69 M-code Barracuda. "finished" is not really the right word, they have "completed" the "radical transformation" of this car from its prior cut up drag car design back to an orignal OEM "69 440 M-Code Cuda" design. now, the "real" work of painting the body, reassembling the interior and installing a 69 1/2 A12 Roadrunner drivetrain will begin.

i don't know how long it will take to complete this car but when it's done, it will be the ONLY "original" 69 M-Code Cuda with a 440 six pack, 4 speed, 4:10 dana 60 in existence. my idea all along has been to create the M-Code Cuda "that Chrysler should have built." when Plymouth released the special edition 69 1/2 model year 440 six pack Roadrunner, it became an instant success. so much so that the Roadrunner was Motor Trend's "Car of the Year" in 1969! can you even imagine a "muscle car" being "car of the year" in this day and age? Ronnie Sox was able to drive one of these "factory stock" 4 speed A12 Roadrunners to a high 11 second quarter mile. in 1969, the only other car that was capable of doing that "right off the truck" was a L-88 427 Corvette - and THAT car was close to $4k more than the Roadrunner and was VERY hard to find or buy! "if" Plymouth would have put the A12 Roadrunner's drivetrain in the 69 M-Code Cuda, given that the A-Body Cuda's were about 400 lbs lighter than a Roadrunner, Ronnie Sox probably would have "tripped the lights" on the strip in the LOW 11's!!

i'll keep posting some pics of this car as i get more done...

april 19 pic 4.jpg

april 19 pic 5.jpg

april 19 pic 13.jpg

april 19 pic 14.jpg

april 19 pic 16.jpg

april 22 final pic 1.jpg

april 22 final pic 2.jpg

Looks like a great foundation for you to finish her up! Congrats!

What's up with roof? Did they have to work on it or is just the pic?

nothing wrong with the roof... just the reflection off of stuff on the ceiling...

Cool!

You have one of the best A-body non SS cars ever built to preserve some history! Enjoy finishing her up!

thought i'd post some "before" pics of this car just to show how much work was done by AMD. only a professional well-equipped shop could have tackled this job...

a current pic3.jpg

a current pic7.jpg

a current pic10.jpg

current pic3.jpg

Jim, very nice work - you chose well! Looking forward to following your progress.
Richard

well... it was a great wednesday for me here in Pittsburgh, PA! i got a call at 7:30 a.m. from the trucker who had my M-Code Barracuda on his truck saying that he was only about 10 minutes away from my house. my day usually doesn't begin until around 9:30 a.m. so this was a "wake up call." i had to move several vehicles from the back of my house to the front street so i could get my new arrival into my house garage. after playing with four different vehicles, i stood in the street and here comes a new Ford F-350 Crew Cab duelly towing a tri-axle 35' long two car trailer. on the trailer was a very nice and original 75-76 GMC half-ton pickup (that the driver told me still had its "factory" 454 big block and on the end of the trailer was my Barracuda.

today was the FIRST time i ever saw this car since first buying it in mid-February of 2016. i purchased this car off of ebay from a guy who lived in Bartlesville, Oklahoma. i then had it shipped directly from his house to American Metal Direct's restoration shop in Cleveland, Georgia - where it has been for over a year! once we got it winched off the trailer, i walked around it and was not "surprised" by anything - which WAS a worry i had for some time. the only thing i did see that i did not know about was that the car once had fender well headers (which i should have assummed as it was a drag car). however, when the "drag race owner" built the car, he did not cut very big holes in the fender wells. i'm talking like maybe a 10" x 12" openings. that seems small to me for race headers - but i'm glad there's only two "small" holes to deal with. i can easily repair these panels.

i have to say again what a great job AMD did in putting this car together. ALL the panels they installed look absolute "factory original" and the fit and finish of the welding is just surperb. they even sent me a CD with (i'm told) like 100 pictures of the car as it was going through the restoration. pretty amazing stuff. this work was "pretty expensive" - about what you would pay for a regular 340 S decent "driver" 68-69 Barracuda that needed some body work or paint. but i did get this car at a reasonable price as a "cut up" drag car with no motor or trans so my investment right now is around $28k. i'm going to do the body work and paint myself and believe i can "put together" a decent "date correct" 440 for around $6k. so when this car is done, i should be in for around $35k - which will be "just fine" for a very nicely restored and "authentic" M-Code Cuda. yes, i know this car will never be worth what the other M-Codes are who were never cut up into drag cars, but i think my car will hold its value in the $35-$40k range for a number of years. and besides, i'm going to "drive this car like i stole it" when it's done. i doubt many of the "trailer queen" M-Codes out there see much of that.

here's some pics of the car arriving at my house in Pittsburgh today - and a video that i hope downloads here. yes, i do sound goofy on the video...

i'll post more pics as this "project" moves along...

OK... i guess you can't upload a video to FABO... if one of you guys know how to do that, let me know...

delivery at home1.jpg

delivery at home2.jpg

Very nice Jim, I can see why you are excited to continue its transformation. Expected your investment to be greater than $28K, given the classy work AMD does (and did for you!).

What an outstanding job they did! I cant imagine how excited you are at this time to finally have the car in your possession!

the summer of 2017 is now over and i finished the house i was working on. instead of selling this property, i "drew the invested money" back out in the form of a home equity loan and bought a second house - a couple of streets over from my residence. this "second" house is not going to be a "flip house" but is going to become my home law office and "storage area." it has a nice sized garage and a big back parking lot that i'm going to build an "open floor space" addition on.

sooo... in the next several weeks i will be transferring my "Barracuda restoration shop" over to this new house and moving the M-Code cuda there to begin the winter resto work. my wife is happy about "my cars and car parts moving somewhere else" and i'm happy about having more space to "work on the cars." i also happen to have a completely original, numbers matching 69 383 4sp formula S fastback that has been sitting in my garage for over 5 years with parts piled on it. that car along with the m-code is going over to "the new shop" to "hopefully" find some "love and attention."

Congrats on getting things moving on your M code Jim. The pic on the truck reminded me of the pics I've seen of the hemi race Cudas being shipped from the factory.
I love the M codes. My dream car would be a notch.

i saw two notch back m cudas for sale last year. one was a roller with no drive train that had the entire left rear quarter smashed - and then cut off. the other one was here on FABO. it was a pretty rough car but complete. however, it did not have the original drive train and had fenderwell headers. i think the guy was asking around $20k for it. the m cars only show up at big buck auctions. they are very hard to find at prices most people could afford.

i saw two notch back m cudas for sale last year. one was a roller with no drive train that had the entire left rear quarter smashed - and then cut off. the other one was here on FABO. it was a pretty rough car but complete. however, it did not have the original drive train and had fenderwell headers. i think the guy was asking around $20k for it. the m cars only show up at big buck auctions. they are very hard to find at prices most people could afford.
I kinda liked the car to start with, I`m not a purist by any means. Really weired I never saw that car around here, I`m about 25 min. from Bartlesville, and 9 miles from the dragstrip. Course I don`t get around much anymore ! Following the build .

I kinda liked the car to start with, I`m not a purist by any means. Really weired I never saw that car around here, I`m about 25 min. from Bartlesville, and 9 miles from the dragstrip. Course I don`t get around much anymore ! Following the build .

hey bob...

if you live close to bartlesville maybe you ran across jim ballenger who used to own my yellow m car. jim had a mopar garage and speed shop in bartlesville and he also had a brush and tree cutting service. he closed those activities for a while but both his shop and brush service is up and running again. i think his shop is called Ballenger Speed shop and if you get to bartlesville maybe you could look him up. here's a pic of jim and the old cuda at the local drag strip out by you ...

21731687_351985895252583_7007667162324640893_o.jpg

-
Back