My new early A-Body with a 273c.i. 4bbl....

-

lordoffrisco

Lord and man of honor
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I bought myself another new-old Mopar.:D

A 1965 Plymouth Barracuda Commando V8 with the 273c.i. 4bbl - 904TF - special order car. It was the first year of the High-Performance 273c.i. Small Block with a 4bbl. carburator, special camshaft, non-silenced air cleaner, special pistons and a 10.5 to 1 compression ratio in a Barracuda. The car still has the original engine and drivetrain and is well documented. The Barracuda was ordered by F.M. Tarbuk - Chrysler dealer in Austria, Europe. Therefor they mounted H4 Headlights, it has a kp/h Speedometer, turn signals on the front fender and a headlight flasher (see pictures below).

This Barracuda was very expensive in Austria and so the first owner of the car was a factory owner (Tools and Metals Processing) in Vienna, who bought this car back on 5th May 1965 - sadly he passed away, but I'm in contact with his son, who remembered the car and now runs the factory.
Here is a picture from 3rd May 1965:
2e4feqg.png

I really like the design of the early fishes. The '66 has straigth lines and is damn cool, but '64-'65 has this awesome sick early design.:D 1965 Barracudas could have the center console (so little and so sweet!), while the '64 had the push button, so '65 was the year for me! The color - as you can see at the tag or the Broadcast Sheet ist SS1 "Ivory". A few little things aren't original like the disc brakes. The car was ordered with power brakes and 14" but with drum brakes. The preowner saved the drums after the conversion, so maybe I will install the drum brakes again. Also the front door panels aren't original.

2wdwspk.jpg

first row:
2 9 9
left remote o/s mirror (only available after build date 11-11-64, except on Imperial.)
variable wiper w/ washer
special order car/international export car

second row:
AB DEF Q V Z
31 551 1 3 2
273 4bbl Automatic Heater Defroster Power Breaks
a-m music master/economy back up lights Front bucket seats and console

third row:
SQ Number BDY TRM Paint
223 99701 V89* P4X** SS1
23rd February 1965 factory invoice number Valiant Barracuda Ivory

*) Valiant(incl. Barracuda), V8 Barracuda + Taxi, Barracuda

**) premium front bucket seat, vinyl bucket seats, black

mh4k80.jpg

I'm still trying to decode the last digits of the Broadcast Sheet - maybe someone could help me - here is the Link: Decoding a 1965 Broadcast-Sheet - need help
5xv8nd.jpg

I was able to decode a lot of things - with the help of friends;-)
273 4bbl
904 TF
axle 2.93:1 ratio

Special Order Tires 14

Heater - Front with defroster

Power Breaks
Power Steering

Remote Control Mirror, outside left
Day/Nite, inside rear-view

Back-up lights
Bumper Guards, front & rear
Instrument panel, safety-padded
Radio, Transaudio AM, with antenna
Seat belts, retractable, front only
Steering wheel, 3 spoke simulated wood
Undercoating

Special Order Car

6f2fe0.jpg

My father also wanted to drive the fish:D

35jz3f9.jpg

286qydk.jpg

Here you can see the turn signals on the front fender - mounted in Austria back in 1965:
20170205_133922-jpg.1715015602.jpg

The interior is in pretty good condition:
2elqsu9.jpg

2s7wbiq.jpg

Here is the kp/h Speedo:
2gwu88n.jpg

Here you can see the (aftermarket???) clock: For further informations please watch my Broadcast-Sheet Thread (see above)
nb6bk1.jpg

29gj2ug.jpg

The heart of the fish:
34fihpl.jpg

Back at the service at Doc. Stingers Mopargarage in Austria (under the preowner)
2ur7ej9.jpg

Well, the car is in really good condition and I'm so damn happy to have it. The cowbell exhaust is groovy and it drives awesome:) The car also had additional headlights - holes are still in the bumper - so I will "reinstall" them.

For more pics see my garage!

Greets lord of frisco!:D

Last edited:
Nice white fish. Looks like it's been kept very well ovet the last 52 years. I've had a couple of barracudas with washers welded to the bumper that work chromed over. I wondered if they were for a road light or fog light or something.

Welcome, great looking car you have.

What are the green and red buttons for on the left side of the dash?

Thank you guys! I really love the fish.

What are the green and red buttons for on the left side of the dash?

Well, they used to be the buttons for the additional headlights/fog-lights. At least one of them. Both are now without function. But I will reinstall the additional lights, because the holes are still in the bumper so I will also use the switch/button again. Not the most wonderful buttons, but children of their time.^^
I'm not sure about the function of the other one. Not yet.:D

'GREEN' was to this time the 'regular color' for fog lamps - at least in Austria.

'RED' was mainly used for aftermarket installed hazard warning lights. They were mandatory in Austria 1967 upwards...

Looks like your 65 Barracuda was ordered with HD suspension. 1,3 under torsion bars is the same as my 65 Formula S.

Thank you guys! I really love the car.

Here is a real cool pic from a Motor Trend test in 1965
1965-plymouth-barracuda-273ci-v-8-engine.jpg

What is this hose/tube from the air cleaner back to the valve cover for?

Last edited:
Thank you guys! I really love the car.

Here is a real cool pic from a Motor Trend test in 1965
View attachment 1715020955

What is this hose/tube from the air cleaner back to the valve cover for?
Love the pic!
CLOSED Crankcase breather hose. Air going in from the breather of the right Valve cover , through the crankcase and back to the intake from the left valve cover.
upload_2017-2-24_6-44-12.png

upload_2017-2-24_6-43-31.png

Just seeing this post. Very nice Barracuda!! Sounds like the fish found a great owner!!!

The extra hose on the Air Cleaner was a California Clean Air Package IIRC.

-
Back