My toy

-

kenny b

kenny b
Reaction score
I,ve been teaching the auto shop class at the local high school. So, after teaching for 11 years I decided it was time to build a toy. We started with a 1971 slant six Demon that the kids completly stripped. We rebuilt the front end by blasting the k-frame and control arms then replacing with all new steering parts and fresh paint. Two of my welders installed the subframe connectors, spring re-location kit and mini-tubs then installing the 8 3/4. Three girls did the brakes with a Wilwood setup and all new lines. Two different girls assembled the engine with 30 over wiseco pistons, h-beam rods, stealth heads and the six-pack. It took them over a week to setup the roller rockers. The trans was assembled by another of my stduents. We are now waiting on a wiring harness and then hopefully we can fire the engine in the new year. It sure makes it a lot more fun going to work when the kids have an interesting project to work on. Oh yes, I love my job.

Kenny B

engine.jpg

rear.jpg

side.jpg

Let me get this straight, you got the school kids to build YOU a car? NICE!!!:-D

Let me get this straight, you got the school kids to build YOU a car? NICE!!!:-D

Yep, I did. It's a good feeling to be able to reach some of the kids that others had given up hope on. Some very pleasant surprises. The girls spent many hours on the brakes plumbing them as if it looks factory. Some of the guys only want to start it and hear it run with no concerns to steering, brakes or exhaust. Through this they have learned some patience. I didn't plan things out as I had to buy parts in a hurry to keep up with the progress. The car is now home in my garage until the middle of next semester when I am able to collect some more parts and then it whould be able to fire up. What you see in the pics is a year and a half of work at 3 hours per week with my grade 12 kids.

We are all very glad you picked a real muscle car to have the kids learn upon and have fun while working on it.

Awesome stuff Kenny, I remember my High School years (I think), it was great working on the teachers car (project), he had us small block a Vega for strip use only, it was way kewl. The students will remember this for many years. Good job on keeping them interested in going to school.

I will be visiting our local HS soon, I want to see if I can get a couple students to help me restore some old Fire trucks for the townships museum.

And hopefully it can help them with their community services (hours) requirement also.

Nice to hear, keep it up.

BTW, nice Demon!

Giles

It wasn't until I hit my mid-life crisis that I gained an interest in cars. Now I take a continuing education class in auto mechanics a couple of nights a week at the local high school. It's a great opportunity to learn while working on my own cars. The teacher is there to ask questions if I get stuck on anything, and lots of the other students have helped me through various projects. I've learned a ton in the 3-4 years I've been taking the class. Gotta love shop class! :read2:

A high school a few towns over has an auto shop class and the teacher owns an original 68 hemi dart drag car and he lets his students work on it.

man that is awesome...my school never had autoshop class, let alone one that got to build a mopar...those kids must be stoked....hopefully the muscle mopar gene sticks with em and they build their own some day....the car looks great so far

Kenny, great project and great story. You are having a positive impact on these kids! I took autoshop when I was in high school (now Im 32), Although I didn't make a career out of it, I still remember my teacher and what he taught me, and Im using what he taught me now, restoring my charger.

Good luck and keep up the good work!

Jason

Oh yea that's nice Kenny. Many moons ago my shop teacher owned a Mustang and thought it was the end all be all until that day he went to back out of his prized parking spot and nothing happened. He should have never showed us how to work on a drive shaft the day before in class. Mr. Jones lost his sense of humour after that incident.:toothy10:

Terry

Way 2 cool!!!! My old high school got rid of the auto shop the year I became a freshman. The shop became a detention hall.

-
Back