mystery Challenger from my past

-

SoulSurvivor

Reaction score
I got my drivers license in 1978. For three years prior to that I mowed lawns and did yard work around the neighborhood to save enough money to buy my first car. I knew at age 13 that I wanted a Challenger.
So the day came when I was ready at age 16 to buy my first car. And as luck would have it a co-worker of my dad had a 1971 Dodge Challenger for sale for the price of $1600.
I remember going to look at the car with my dad. I was love at first site but over the last couple of years I always wondered what that Challenger trim level was.
So I come to you to get your ideas. Because these cars really weren't collector cars back then and I drove it everywhere. So I don't have the VIN. Just a slide, yes a slide of the car.
Here is what the car had when I bought it. And I bought it from the original owner and he said it is all stock as the day he bought it.
1971 Dodge Challenger
340 w/thermoquad(which the secondaries were working until I took it to Tune-Up masters. That day the car was transformed into a rocket)
A727 with a center console
3:23 Sure Grip
A/C
regular rear window. Not the smaller S/E one.
original paint...a dark green...not avocado color. It was a really nice green.
tan interior with a rimblow steering wheel. tan leather seats.
non rally guages.
flat non R/T hood.
dual exhaust like an R/T would have had.
No R/T badges anywhere.

So what do you think? special order? Deputy?

one thing about Ma Mopar, if that guy had the right salesman filing out the order. it could have been ordered with leather seats but deleted all the other S E stuff. they wanted to sell cars! if didn't have to be RT to get the 340.

sounds like f8 dark green met, a popular color back then, very pretty in fresh paint! the tan seats were somewhat unusual ,

I had a 71 383 chally vert, it was an RT/SE. had the wide chrome on hood, leather seats, in 71 it came with the side stripe but it left off RT. yep OEM.

it was triple black, the stripe was matte back and hard to see in daytime. cool car. best offer it got at Nats in '91, fresh perfect paint on rust free body... was $10,000. went to Canada ha

For '71 Challenger models;

No SE.

The leather sets were availalble in all models except the Deputy.

340 not available with the Deputy.

The 340 was available in the base Challenger or the R/T. (all 340s had dual exhaust)

I have a commercial quality slide scanner here, if you need the slide scanned, I can do it up to 7200 DPI & send it to you on a disk. I would just need enough for the disc & postage back to you, pm if you want.

For '71 Challenger models;

No SE.

The leather sets were availalble in all models except the Deputy.

340 not available with the Deputy.

The 340 was available in the base Challenger or the R/T. (all 340s had dual exhaust)

I have a commercial quality slide scanner here, if you need the slide scanned, I can do it up to 7200 DPI & send it to you on a disk. I would just need enough for the disc & postage back to you, pm if you want.

that 71 vert I mentioned had all the SE stuff except obviously the small back window. wide hood chrome, leather seats, and it came with the side stripe BUT did not have RT on it. after paint, I was even able to order the correct orginal stripe for it. this was a surviving car, numbers match everything, I researched it at that time.

I had lots of 70 challys and cuda, very few 71 models ever showed up. 71 e bodies were always a strange breed somewhat. i',m sure the guys over at FEBO can furnish some good info on the subject.

Typo above, I meant 'no SE for '71' in the second sentence.

it was '91 when I restored that 71 vert. thinking all the appropriate SE trim could been ordered on the 71 vert. ( didn't need much), so like you said, it was a "trim group" option.

like I say, mopar wanted to sell cars and I guess they didn't have to follow ford and chebby rules!? ha

15 yrs back I had a 72 charger 400 4 speed. it was not a rallye ( what replaced the RT) , but I had all the rallye parts ordered for it. seems like if I remember they made 75 of that combo.??

sorta like a 69 383 sport satellite. a gtx t rim car with a roadrunner drivetrain. buddy ordered one new back then , 383 4 spped car, because at 20 yrs of age, he thought the roadrunner was "juvenile" !??? ha

mopars are interesting!

-
Back