Mystery Crank Pulley Ordeal/ Help!!!

-

cosgig

MoBro Inc.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Howdy gang, cosgig here! I'm having a real head scratcher problem with a crank pulley situation, so I'm turning to the experts for help, that's y'all!! Here's the sitch!!!...

Take a look at the 2 balancers pictured, the orange one is from a 69 340, the other from a 72 340! Both are for forged crank, and so one would think that the crank pulley from the 72 would bolt right to the 69 balancer, but you would be wrong! See, it appears that the 72 pulley is drilled for a cast crank balancer bolt pattern, and in fact when mocked up to a cast crank balancer, it matches! So, what's the deal here? Has anybody ever heard of this? The 72 balancer is clearly a forged crank balancer, and the block was cast on 1-20-71! The 2nd pic shows the 72 balancer next to a cast crank 73 340 balancer, obviously different!!

Any ideas here? The 72 motor came from a 72 Duster, and was original to the car and standard bore, so it hadn't been messed with, still had the stock exhaust and everything?? Any input is greatly appreciated! Geof

Attachments

• image.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 113
2nd pic with the cast crank balancer on the left, 72 balancer on the right! Geof

Attachments

• image.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 94
The older ones have one hole for the pulley offset.

Newer ones did away with that.

If needed, you can re-drill one hole to make it work.

They had symmetrical and non-symmetrical bolt patterns for the crank pulleys.

I believe that you can make a non-symmetrical pulley fit a symmetrical bolt pattern damper is just egg-shape one hole, the rest will line up.

You may be able to do the same for a symmetrical pulley on a non-symmetrical bolt pattern damper.

...........yup 71 0r 72 was the change over year for the assymetrical verses the symeterical pattern........too late Karl is spot on.....kim......

I believe 69 and older had the offset hole Geof. You can "Mcgyver" by just drilling the offset hole a little larger.

oops everyones on it...

Actually both in the first pic are from 72 340's. The orange one is from a 72 date cast motor just before the change over to cast cranks and the other one has the 1-20-71 date. So why would 2 so close have different bolt patterns?

-
Back