Need a Harmonic Balancer. Which one?

-

DartGTDan

'71 Dart GT Fan
Reaction score
Having some work done to my (113,000 original miles) '71 Dart GT. It has the original 318 V-8.

My mechanic buddy is installing SummitRacing double roller timing chain and gears, LD4B Edelbrock intake manifold, 1406 600 c.f.m. Edelbrock carburetor, Cardone 8-vane water pump, Lokar "kickdown" and throttle cables, hoses, fuel filter, radiator and block flush, etc....

He told me today that the Harmonic Balancer has crack in/on it and it needs to be replaced.

Looking online I found a couple choices at SummitRacing, but I'm unsure as to what I need. The car is never raced (just a ice cream parlor cruiser). So I guess a stock replacement is all that is required. Do I need internal or external balance? So many choices. Any recommendations/guidance is appreciated as always.:thumbsup:

I've been using Pioneer's SFI internally balanced balancers/dampers on my internally balanced race 360's for years. No problems. Here is a link, but it doesn't hurt to shop around for pricing.

The ad pic looks nothing like the actual unit. But the actual balancer appears to have all of the factory dimensions for proper pulley attachment and alignment.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pio-872037/overview/make/dodge

Here is an actual pic:

s-l225.jpg

Mike your link does not take me to 3 choices. Can you clear it up? Please?
dang thing - well, I went to summitracing.com - searched the specific vehicle first, then clicked engines and components, then harmonic balancers, then put in the specific engine - sorted the results by price = low to high - I ignored the first one - the comparison I tried to link to was of the next three - Summit 163273, Pioneer 872020 and Summit C-4277.

Make sure it's the same thickness as the stock one where the pulley bolts on so the belts line up properly...

are you spinning high rpms? racing??? if not, just get a regular replacement... on the few motors i have had built, i never spent big money on a balancer and never had any kind of remote issue. avoid the trash brands and forget about it, if it is just an upgraded daily driver.

-
Back