Need advice about solid mounting a 340

-

Dusty340mopar

70 Duster
Reaction score
So I installed motor and trans in my duster with a QA1 tubular front end. I used the motor mounts off of the original 318 I pulled out of the car. I modified the plate to the motor where it sat in the mounts with the trans in the bolt up position. The motor seems to be off center, but the headers fit between the torsion bars perfectly. Is this correct or should the motor measure centered between the frame rails?

Motor is offset to the passenger side in A-bodies in order to fit the steering column/box. If the headers fit and mounts line up you are golden!

Motor is offset to the passenger side in A-bodies in order to fit the steering column/box. If the headers fit and mounts line up you are golden!

image.jpg

image.jpg

I bought a motor a long time ago with a motor plate on it, it also had the front cover milled down the thickness of the plate so the water pump was in the correct depth, does the water pump still work the same being a 1/4" further out away from the front cover ?

parallelism of the tran output shaft (they are not inline, but parallel) and the pinion yoke needs the slight offset to the right on Mopars as the pinion is offset ~2". your fine.

Last edited:
I like your jack stands lol
motor plate 1.jpg
need to do what works, been down that route myself
Kevin

Even if you are running a transmission mount you still MUST use engine limiters. Preferably one on each side of the engine. Otherwise, the engine WILL actually scoot down the tunnel when you drop the hammer.

Well technically, the engine stays where it is and the chassis moves forward into the engine but the end result is still the same.

It's like saying when you romp on the throttle you get set back into your seat. That's not true. The seat is actually ramming into you.

I bought a motor a long time ago with a motor plate on it, it also had the front cover milled down the thickness of the plate so the water pump was in the correct depth, does the water pump still work the same being a 1/4" further out away from the front cover ?

That is a great question and will be one of the many things I check before I move on from this particular area of fitting! Thanks for the heads up:)

I took a motor mount & cut off one of the bolts and drilled through the mount. I then ran a bolt all the way through the mount. That way the motor was still sitting on the rubber, but had a bolt all the way through it so it couldn’t break. Didn’t seem to vibrate any worse. Just a cheap skate idea......

I did the same thing, I used a allen that was a counter sunk head so it didn't stick out under the mount, It sat flat on the K member, it was in there for years.

-
Back