Need advice on starter problem

-

downsr

Reaction score
Sometimes when i start my car the starter makes a very very loud clunking noise. It is a 1973 727 transmission with a mini high torque starter.I do not have the dust cover on it.I do not know if that would make any difference since this may space it outward out of the ring gear teeth.I have replaced the starter and the relay on firewall.I have a threaded bolt coming out of the bell housing that you put a nut on in the bottom bolt hole of starter.Some say this should be on the top.It seems to make this noise after it has set a couple of days.Pump the gas a couple of times and it will do it the first 2 times you try and start it.After that it does'nt do it anymore

Only thing that changes over time is fluid level in torque converter. So maybe the clunk isn't the starter. I think loose torque converter bolts should clunk with every start. So... inside the torque converter would be my guess. Fluid fill would cushion the noise, less audible. Good luck with it

Sometimes when i start my car the starter makes a very very loud clunking noise. It is a 1973 727 transmission with a mini high torque starter.I do not have the dust cover on it.I do not know if that would make any difference since this may space it outward out of the ring gear teeth.I have replaced the starter and the relay on firewall.I have a threaded bolt coming out of the bell housing that you put a nut on in the bottom bolt hole of starter.Some say this should be on the top.It seems to make this noise after it has set a couple of days.Pump the gas a couple of times and it will do it the first 2 times you try and start it.After that it does'nt do it anymore
This will sound crazy to you, but make sure the bolt/nut that bolts it to the bell housing are tight. Mine worked loose after a while and it would hit really hard when I turned the key to start. Just happened to notice the starter move a little when I was using my remote starter to bump the engine over and I saw it twist a bit. The nut had worked loose. I didn't have a lock washer on it and after putting one on, that fixed it. Easy fix.

My thought process is that after sitting a couple of days, what is the condition of the battery cables, ground connections, and battery? Maybe the battery is losing a bit of charge and thru dirty connections just can't push the amperage to crank the first couple of hits. Easy enough to clean and check. Just my thought. I am assuming the starter isn't turning the engine over. If so disregard.

Last edited:
-
Back