Need Any Welding advice?

-
Subscribed.
Very generous of you! I'm hoping to be ready to weld in new floor pans near the end of the summer and will keep you in mind.

#1, practice. If you are able to have any scrap metal left over during your project, play around with welding scrap B4 you hose up your work. I would need to know what you're welding tho. Example, you do not want to weld a custom aluminium gas tank with a spoolgun, or with the wrong weld filler. The results could be disastrous lol.

I have been watching tig videos, but i think its not my cup of tea.
Esab emp215ic, mig tig and arc
Dc tig,lift arc.
Guess i will keep poking at it.

Very generous of you to offer welding advice.

20yr veretan aerospace welder here.....just looking to help anyone out with any DIY welding questions.... MIG, TIG?
I went to Tulsa Welding school on my first shore duty, but the wife spent the six grand I saved for a welding setup on her first time without me on deployment. I am ‘on the mend.’-

1. A/C for tig welding aluminum? What current would you run?

2. Stick welding automotive sheet metal: what current would you run? How much space between each weld run? How long to let an area of sheet metal cool off before another run? What stick for tack welds, what stick for the welds? (Automotive sheet metal)

3. Recommendations for entry level tig machine and inert gas recommendations.

4. Have you ever welded with a torch? Advice?

5. At school I loved stick welding and could match my instructors’ perfect weld beeds in tig welding EXCEPT, I ran too hot and got the rainbow metal sheen-we did not have a foot feed for the current level-just set and go-recommendations?

6. I got shocked allot from standing in my own pool of sweat or holding my tig gun ( set at 400 amps D/C and grabbing my A/C grinder (inductance). I took that across the heart but not nearly the set amps.-experience/recommendations?

7. How much are tig sticks running?

8. Welding chrome-moly roll cages-the backside? How do you recommend welding around it?

I have been watching tig videos, but i think its not my cup of tea.
Esab emp215ic, mig tig and arc
Dc tig,lift arc.
Guess i will keep poking at it.

Very generous of you to offer welding advice.
No problem! Again, I'm not sure exactly what it is that you're welding, so my advice is being restrained. But TIG is my specialty, and it is by far, the cleanest strongest way to weld aluminum.

I went to Tulsa Welding school on my first shore duty, but the wife spent the six grand I saved for a welding setup on her first time without me on deployment. I am ‘on the mend.’-

1. A/C for tig welding aluminum? What current would you run?

2. Stick welding automotive sheet metal: what current would you run? How much space between each weld run? How long to let an area of sheet metal cool off before another run? What stick for tack welds, what stick for the welds? (Automotive sheet metal)

3. Recommendations for entry level tig machine and inert gas recommendations.

4. Have you ever welded with a torch? Advice?

5. At school I loved stick welding and could match my instructors’ perfect weld beeds in tig welding EXCEPT, I ran too hot and got the rainbow metal sheen-we did not have a foot feed for the current level-just set and go-recommendations?

6. I got shocked allot from standing in my own pool of sweat or holding my tig gun ( set at 400 amps D/C and grabbing my A/C grinder (inductance). I took that across the heart but not nearly the set amps.-experience/recommendations?

7. How much are tig sticks running?

8. Welding chrome-moly roll cages-the backside? How do you recommend welding around it?

Being a veteran welder, doesn't mean I'm retired and have the time to teach a welding class on FABO.

With that many simple questions, I'd advise you to at least do some research on your own to answer most if your ?'s. Google, Youtube.

Then, come back to me with any specific questions you have after that.

-L8

Being a veteran welder, doesn't mean I'm retired and have the time to teach a welding class on FABO.

With that many simple questions, I'd advise you to at least do some research on your own to answer most if your ?'s. Google, Youtube.

Then, come back to me with any specific questions you have after that.

-L8
Lol you asked, I asked.

Using mig for the most part, likely tig for exhaust and some brackets i want to build.
Stick is for building tractor parts....

"2. Stick welding automotive sheet metal: what current would you run? How much space between each weld run? How long to let an area of sheet metal cool off before another run? What stick for tack welds, what stick for the welds? (Automotive sheet metal)

Stick is for building tractor parts...."

Stick welding has it's place in structural welding, but other than that, there is really no reason to use it if you have other means of welding.[/QUOTE]

"2. Stick welding automotive sheet metal: what current would you run? How much space between each weld run? How long to let an area of sheet metal cool off before another run? What stick for tack welds, what stick for the welds? (Automotive sheet metal)

Stick welding has it's place in structural welding, but other than that, there is really no reason to use it if you have other means of welding.
[/QUOTE]

I just think it was a better method than MiG welding sheet metal.

Unlike aviation welding, the school was mostly geared in structural welding with a short stint mig welding.

In this hobby I see myself using tig for rollcages or aluminum (intake manifolds or cylinder heads) and enjoyed the penetration that stick welding gave in my limited experience (11 months).

I guess it can be viewed asking questions after being offered is being a dick?

Personally if I offered my expertise I wouldn’t **** on somebody for earnestly asking. The idea is an expert is offering help-use their generosity or spend a week sifting through YouTube where I personally find a ideas/beliefs often touted as facts.

It is no big deal if you don’t know some of those questions-I doubted that you had torch experience or much mig experience if you worked in the aviation field (which I figure is like my submarine welding-precision), but maybe it was possible that you did.

If you are offended, Probably don’t offer next time. Not everyone tip toes around others’ feelings. I apologize for being a dick.

Best wishes.

Unlike aviation welding, the school was mostly geared in structural welding with a short stint mig welding.

In this hobby I see myself using tig for rollcages or aluminum (intake manifolds or cylinder heads) and enjoyed the penetration that stick welding gave in my limited experience (11 months).

Personally if I offered my expertise I wouldn’t **** on somebody for earnestly asking. The idea is an expert is offering help-use their generosity or spend a week sifting through YouTube where I personally find a ideas/beliefs often touted as facts.

It is no big deal if you don’t know some of those questions-I doubted that you had torch experience or much mig experience if you worked in the aviation field (which I figure is like my submarine welding-precision), but maybe it was possible that you did.

If you are offended, Probably don’t offer next time. Not everyone tip toes around others’ feelings. I apologize for being a dick.

Best wishes.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't apologize to that punk. He's not near as important as he thinks he is.

Being a veteran welder, doesn't mean I'm retired and have the time to teach a welding class on FABO.-L8

Well golly gee Beave, you did make the offer to help. Now we get this? lol

Well. To be honest, asking that many simple questions was a dick move. You showed that you are either an old fart that doesn't know how to use the internet, or you were just being a dick.

Hay guy, John is active duty Navy serving our country. He's not a dick and is a personal friend of MINE. In other words, we've met. The only dick I see here is you. So how bout backin up some, ok? You're not makin a good start here.

Stick welding has it's place in structural welding, but other than that, there is really no reason to use it if you have other means of welding.
[/QUOTE]

Sounds to me like you don;t know jack. Giving vague answers I know a girl in Colorado that could outweld you with one hand tied behind her back. You've given nothing here but vague answers and cloudiness. Move on Paco.

Best wishes.

It's ok John. Don't sweat it man. When you come by soon, maybe we can go over a few simple tips I can show you here, live and in person. Screw this guy. He's a butthole.

No pro welder, have a little experience /self taught tho. Do have a 175 mig, and a stick welder.
Haven`t used the stick welder but once since I got the mig., ' ON A TRAILER" . I have totally redone my 68 barracuda w/ the mig as needed , but haven`t done any heavy "thick material" welding w/ it...
I am now trying to build an alum. air pan to seal my 6 pack scoop to the throttle body, which is up in the scoop. The front of the throttle body is about 2/3 up in the scoop, and the rear is barely below the hood line , will be a menagerie of diff. pieces and angles , due to installing a victor intake on my 440/505 in the 68 fastback.
It will be .075 to .090 alum. sheet . I might have to tack it up and take it to a pro welder w/ a tig welder , depends on weather I can get it to work decently here or not , Thats the reason I asked the question to start with------so far my spool gun welding ain`t too hot !!
I`m wondering if a person can stitch weld the alum sheet successfully .

No bad mouthing here to the Tulsa welding school graduate, and I`m sure he knows more than I do , but professional welders I have worked with over the yrs. have all told me the graduates needed to learn welding , out on the job after graduating !!

Well. To be honest, asking that many simple questions was a dick move. You showed that you are either an old fart that doesn't know how to use the internet, or you were just being a dick.

Well ****; remind me never to ask dumbass questions here. I sure as hell don't ever want to learn to weld now with a...hole instructors like you out there.

I wanted to be a welder....but I couldn't stick with it. Spring get here fast...…..please.

-
Back