Need Better Carb Options!

-

Ruger64

Reaction score
My 1971 Valiant/225, with a Holley 1920.
Well, I believe my carb is crapping out.
It sat for 15 years, and is probably beat up inside. I can drive it, but it stalls, hesitates, and during idle, it looks like it is spitting fuel, without hitting the throttle.You can hear it sputtering at idle. I sprayed some starting fluid near that arm at the top, I guess the accelerator pump, and the idle jumped up high.
I see Advance auto sales the reman, but I was told that they are junk.
I cannot rebuild one, nor do I have anyone near me that does that stuff.
Isn't there any other options for just buying a carb and bolting one on?
I am happy with the one barrel. If it ran right.
I bought one at advance years ago, for my truck, and never had an issue. I dunno. Any ideas?

Is there a reason you say you can't rebuild one? Carbs are really not that difficult to rebuild.

I tried one years ago. And it was a bad outcome. So I went to advance and bought a reman and bolted it on.
I sprayed near my throttle shaft also with starting fluid and the idle jumped. So I dont even know if mine is rebuildable. I was hoping to buy a bolt on reman. It got worse today after my valve adjustment.

Rebuild is not difficult on a one barrel carburetor. After a good cleaning and blow out of passages, you are looking at replacing needle valve & seat than setting float level, installing a gasket or two, replacing accelerator pump diaphragm, and a jet. Baking a cake is more complicated…

After it is reassembled and mounted on a fresh manifold gasket, a little adjustment of linkages may be needed to set high idle, curb idle, and choke pull-off.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...19FE56E0375ADC283AE9940AEFC313306&FORM=IQFRBA

Carb is rebuilt and back on. Slant is running smooth! Makes me smile!

Great outcome. I had a 1969 slant with a Holley 1920 for 18 years. I tried rebuilt ones and rebuilding myself, but still had a rough idle in drive and stalls. I thought valves, vacuum leak, etc. Finally got a good Holley 1920 and it ran great. I did learn that most "professional" mechanics are fairly useless since I tried several of them, including big fancy shops and none of them could get the engine to idle right.

-
Back