Need correct Pitman arm

-

smilnickel

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 73 plymouth scamp. I am converting from power to manual steering. What is the correct pitman arm that I need? I believe the manual box I put in is from a 72 Duster. It is big spline on the box and I used an adapter to mount to steering shaft. Can I use the pitman arm that was on my piwer steering box? The manual box still has the pitman arm on it but it will not work(has pitman where the nut would be on top of center link) The pitman arm I need would have the nut on the bottom. Moog part # would be appreciated

OK, here's the deal. The "nut up" VS "nut down" is the early (67-68--72) versus 73/ later steering setup, IE small spline boxes, pitman arm to fit, and center link and idler to go with that pitman. That whole "group" must reside as one, regardless of the year of the car.

You sure what spline size your boxes are? If they are both large, or both small, then you should be able to just swap the pitman from what is in the car, to the new box

THIS SUCKS!!! AFTER THE "IMPROVED SOFTWARE" I CAN NO LONGER FIND THE OLD POSTS

You can get part no's from the "tech" pages at BigBlockDart......

Tech Index

Last edited:
73 and later: "big spline"

attachment.php

So I need a 73 or later manual steering box or the whole group ie center link, idler arm ect to with my 72 big spline box. Urrrrrr. Thanks

I have it backwords. Sorry. My manual 72 box is small spline. (I was saying big spline cause where the steering shaft goes on the steering box has bigger splines)actually its where the pitman arm goes on the box is small spline. I understand now. So I'm going to find an idler arm and centerlink to go with my 72 manual box and pitman arm. Please correct me if I'm wrong

Yes, if you have a small spline manual, and matching GOOD pitman that is one way to go.I would "for certain" determine what you started with. You might put a want ad for the matching manual box on here, and then you could just drop it in, with of course the mods to the steering column shaft.

Manual steering boxes for all A, B and E bodies have the same size sector and splines, they're all the same for '62-76 A-bodies, 62-72 B-bodies, and 70-74 E-bodies. So, just buy the right manual pitman for your centerlink.

Only C-bodies and vans had large sector manual boxes. Power steering boxes were small sector 67-72 and large sector 73+, not manual.

All the info is in that Big block dart article Steering Box Info

Last edited:
I think I was tired last night! Lol. I have the correct box. I just need to switch the pitman arms. I have the small sector box. Really appreciate your patience. I also have the adapter to connect with the shorter column due to it being prior power steering. Love this site. Gaining more knowledge every day

A couple of quick questions; First, is there such thing as a large spline (1.25~) opening pitman arm that comes with a nut pointing up (67-72) configuration, as opposed to nut pointing down, (73+style)? I purchased a reman box from NAPA part #31-1036, and my Pitman arm with a spline opening of ~1.1, is to small. Issues I keep running into is that the previous owner of the car had installed a 67 front clip on my 69 barracuda so i have the funky Idler arm. I really don't want to uninstall the steering box with the large spline output shaft. Second question, is it likely that i will have to change out the K Frame/linkage setup in order to get the large diameter output shaft on the steering box to work?

No you wont need to change the K member. If you do install the 73 up center link with that pitman arm and idler arm, you can weld another clip onto the 67 K member for the through bolt type idler.
A lot of us have got in a situation where we needed a pitman arm that Chrysler never made. It was said in a recent thread that a aftermarket vendor now offers that custom/adapter like arm configuration. Good luck

Last edited:
No you wont need to change the K member. If you do install the 73 up center link with that pitman arm and idler arm, you can weld another clip onto the 67 K member for the through bolt type idler.
A lot of us have got in a situation where we needed a pitman arm that Chrysler never made. It was said in a recent thread that a aftermarket vendor now offers that custom/adapter like arm configuration. Good luck
Copy that. So does anyone know who the vendor is that offers the custom arm configuration? I know there's a guy who does some things on ebay, but not sure.

Also, through my scouring through the forums, I am led to believe that there is not a "nut pointing up", larger spline opening pitman arm, correct?

Thanks again
Grant

Copy that. So does anyone know who the vendor is that offers the custom arm configuration? I know there's a guy who does some things on ebay, but not sure.

Also, through my scouring through the forums, I am led to believe that there is not a "nut pointing up", larger spline opening pitman arm, correct?

Thanks again
Grant
There wasn't from Chrysler. I can't say if was it Firmfeel, or PST, or just a wild goose chase.

OK, here's the deal. The "nut up" VS "nut down" is the early (67-68--72) versus 73/ later steering setup, IE small spline boxes, pitman arm to fit, and center link and idler to go with that pitman. That whole "group" must reside as one, regardless of the year of the car.

You sure what spline size your boxes are? If they are both large, or both small, then you should be able to just swap the pitman from what is in the car, to the new box

THIS SUCKS!!! AFTER THE "IMPROVED SOFTWARE" I CAN NO LONGER FIND THE OLD POSTS

You can get part no's from the "tech" pages at BigBlockDart......

Tech Index
So what is the best way to identify small spline vs large.. Measurement? Part numbers?

Hello, I have a 73 plymouth scamp. I am converting from power to manual steering. What is the correct pitman arm that I need? I believe the manual box I put in is from a 72 Duster. It is big spline on the box and I used an adapter to mount to steering shaft. Can I use the pitman arm that was on my piwer steering box? The manual box still has the pitman arm on it but it will not work(has pitman where the nut would be on top of center link) The pitman arm I need would have the nut on the bottom. Moog part # would be appreciated
What is the steering shaft adaptor? Who has them? Thanks

So what is the best way to identify small spline vs large.. Measurement? Part numbers?
If a 1&1/8 socket fits the nut bellow pitman arm, that's the small splined shaft.
If you need a 1&5/16 socket for that nut, that's the large splined shaft.

I also need the larger pittman arm with nut up for my 66 Barracuda. I installed a 73+ PS box and now can't connect to the center link due to taper is wrong way. Do I need to change out center link and idler arm setup, or can I just get a large hole pittman arm with nut up connections?

I don't know if the later center link will work on 1 gen' a-body.
Does your idler have ball stud at both ends like 67 model?
I remember reading that Firmfeel or some aftermarket vendor offered a custom pitman arm for this mismatch but I never looked for it. I sincerely doubt a similar "bastard" idler arm is available.
So if the later model center link fit and solved the pitman arm issue you might still have a idler arm issue. Solution would be to weld a different clip on your K member for the 73 up through bolt mounted idler.

-
Back