Need dashlight help!

-

BigStrok3

Mopar!
Reaction score
Most of the lights in the dash of my 74 duster are out what is the best easiest way to go about changing them out?????

drop the column and pull the cluster...otherwise lay on ur back in a cramped up position and try not to change the same bulb 3 times lol

I tried pulling the cluster yesterday but it wouldnt come out seemed like it was snagged so i left it cause i didnt want to break anything.

im not sure im going to go out here within the next few hours and look it over real good and see what i can do. Thanks for the help.

I don't know what type of instrument cluster you are working on but I had to drop the steering column of allow room for my cluster to come out. Also, it is much harder to remove the cluster than install it. Why- I don't know. It becomes a pain in the @#$ and you can break it if not careful. Don't forget you have to disconnect the wiring harness, amp gauge wires, headlight and wiper motor connections, and speedometer cable or it isn't going anywhere.

DISCONNECT THE BATTERY CABLES BEFORE YOU START! You don't want a nasty fire you can't put out. Good luck.

I had the battery unhooked i thought it would at least pull out enough to allow for me to unhook the wires

unfortunatly nope lol. you got to get them all undone before you can take it out.

Well I got to 2 of them looks like someone broke the clips on the socket on them so I got to drop the colum and get the rest.

The speedo cable will side through the grommet at firewall. Grab the cable under there and push it toward the instrument panel. It will push the panel out of thh dash if all the screws are removed.

I got all the stuff out now. I went to the dealer and tried to get new bulb sockets but they didnt have any. They are ordering me some for a 82 dodge ram. Any ideas if they are the same? If not where is a good place to buy them? The clips are all broken off of mine.

i found the ones for my 70 dart at i wrecking yard. i took them out of a 77/78 trans am.

im not sure. i tryed half a dozen places including specialty parts places and the dealer and had no luck in finding the ones. you can try a parts store like napa pep boys kragen or whatever and see if they have it but be sure to match it up to one of the ones you have as i have found that though the part numbers are the same the parts may not be.

Well, If I had a few days to look, I have 3 clusters I could strip some off for you. I know I need 2 for my driver. I just hope that the others are goodl. I will try to look this weekend and see what I have. I have seen some here in KY at Advanced Auto. You may even find them on their website.

Well, If I had a few days to look, I have 3 clusters I could strip some off for you. I know I need 2 for my driver. I just hope that the others are goodl. I will try to look this weekend and see what I have. I have seen some here in KY at Advanced Auto. You may even find them on their website.

I would greatly appreciate it. I need all 8 they were all broke :( lol

there are 2 diffrent sizes depending what year your dash is. Don't ask how I know. LOL

Yes, there are 2 sizes, 1/2" & 5/8". My 73 Duster uses the 5/8". My local Autozone and Checker had both sizes in stock. I'm pretty sure Rock Auto had them listed as well.

Thanks,
Ken

Went to autozone they had some but were to small. You would think someone would repo these things.

My 74 Dart also had a few of the sockets broken and the bulb wasn't making good contact, therefore not lighting up. Go to Advance Auto and look for "CALTERM (08523) Instrument Panel Socket". I think it came with two replacement sockets in the package. It fits 5/8" instrument panel socket holes. Advance Auto part 5473136. Should be around $3.00 per package.

Check your original 74 owners manual. The speedo/instrument bulbs were #158. I think the 158s have been replaced by 194s. Sylvania makes a box of ten 194 bulbs (Sylvania part #34761). Advance Auto part 5081602. Again about $3.00 per box.

If you don't have an Advance Auto, call Calterm in Milwaukee, WI at (800) 228-5123.

Thanks for all the help I had napa order them but the want 5 bucks a piece and I need all eight. Im going to check out advanced and radio shack first thanks for all the help guys!

-
Back