Need Help 2nd Opion

-

Mopar4Play

Reaction score
I recently changed my rear end gears from 278 to a 391 in my 8.25 rear end. I am running 17" rims. My spedo is off about 30MPH at 55. I am being told that the only way to correct this is with a custom built gear reduction box because they don't make a spedo gear large enough. What do you think?:glasses9:

I can't imagine that there is not an appropriate gear available. Between cars and pickups there was a wide range of tire diameters and rear gear ratios. The rim diameter is irrelavent, it's the diameter of the tire you have mounted on the rim.

I have to admit, That I know nothing about how this stuff is calculated. I was told the largest gear was a 42 and that isn't going to handle it because I am so far off.

mopar 4 play, what diameter is your rear tire?

PS your tire would have to be less than 23" in diameter for you to need a 44 tooth gear

Thanks everyone, I am away from home but will be back tonite and will get the information you are asking.

Thats great, and ya learned something new in the process that applies to pretty much all our old mopars.
Its nice to be able to fix it yourself.

-
Back